Cayotee locations outside of the norm

snake plisken1

Hey, all. Brand spankin' new on this forum as far as posting. Been reading a lot and learning a lot. I thank you all.

I lve out in the hills of Norhtern CA, and am in the thick of cayote populations. Grass Valley, CA if anyone knows this area. Trying to get permission to hunt on the landowners parcels are tough, but I keep pluggin' along. Looking for other areas, and was wondering about the wooded areas at elevations of 4,000 feet and up, where I deer hunt annualy. Never ever thought about these areas a having cayotees. I see on all your pics and the books I have read that areas where I live, which are the rolling foothils and your areas such as the plains, yeah, I understand these areas are cayotee areas. But what about where I deer and bear hunt? 4000 elevation and up? Are there yotes in these oak and pine plentiful areas? Don't mean to ask a somewhat ignorant question, just looking at other options. Let me know what kind of signs other than scat. I figured they did not hang in the wooded areas, 'cause I saw no rabbits. Again, I apologize for the ignorance. If you feel yes these are great areas, let me know if there is another approach in hunting these type of areas in comparison to the plains and rolling foothils. Thank much
Snake

Welcome to the forum snake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can not help you with your question because we don't anything higher than an elevation of 50ft. where I live.
scared.gif

I live about 2 hours to your west, and know that area well. In my experience you will have better luck in the high elevations when the fawns are born. Coyotes eat a lot more than just rabbits and fawns though, so now would be a good time to scout and try out some stands.

We find them up to 10,000 feet here and quite common at 5,000 as we live at 4400. No change to calling sequences other than your prey base may be more deer and fawn/goat distress may work better. Watch out for those cats!!

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. With all the positive feedback regarding the higher elevations and the deer and bear areas(I do understand about the cats. THNX dog1)is it safe to say when using decoys then, my quivver critter($24 model)will probably not do well, but instead, should possibly focus on the plastic fawn decoys for these areas, correct? Because of the lack of bugs bunnies in these areas? Or will a coyote take it for maybe a tree squirrel? Just don't want to go lugging things I may not need due to the area.

If I may jack the thread to ask a related question...

Do yotes migrate to lower elevations to escape the snow like deer or do they tough it out?

I'm guessing they would migrate to follow the food.

I hunt them at the lowwer elevations in Marin, Contra Costa, Yolo, and Solano Countys. We saw a pair in Yosemite Valley last winter. I think the foothills are loaded, with a lot less ,but some in the higher elevations. Hope this helps. Alec p.s. hey we got our lab pup 2 years ago from a breeder in Grass Valley

SHOES Migrate to lower elevations: Most do, however, there are some that stay at high elevation year round. Took some serious work by my retired FED trapper buddy before Fish and Game would buy into them staying up in the mountains all year long. When I say high elevation I believe it was up to 8-9,000 feet. Like previously stated they stick with the prey base, whether its deer or snowshoe hares; whatever they are eating up there.

Last edited:
where we camp the elevation is about 9500 feet we hear them howling at night. I have shot them at the same altitude using a jack rabbit call.

So, in a clear cut setting, which there are a lot of in the logged over areas that we hunt deer at, I'm thinking it would be the same as prairie areas, that is, be at the highest, in the shadows if possible, sun at your back and wind at your face? Same procedure as in a desert/prarie set up, except now in wooded clear cut area? I'm thinking if the Yote's were around, they would cruise the tree lines to stay concealed. So a decoy just a few feet in from the tree lines should do it, corect?

i dont find coyotes "cruising" the tree line. i find their tracks out in the open, or in the woods, but have not ever found them traveling the edge of cover.
i find coyotes at all elevations, i have killed several above treeline which around here is about 12,100. wherever there is food there are coyotes, the more food, the more coyotes.

Hey alec, did that pup come from a DR.? Dr. Hook mabey. Ii got a yellow from him 4 years ago and have been nothing but happy. Good luck.

Back