Forming 6X45 brass.

RePete

I've been thinking about building a 6X45 on a 700 action for quite a while now, and reading in John's thread this morning, that Forster's now making their in-line seater for this round pretty much sealed the deal.

I'm thinking that I can simply neck 223 brass up with a 6mm mandrell in my K&M die and then use a 223 bushing die for sizing. Yes/No????

What are you guys/gals that shoot this round using in the way of dies?

TIA

I use the regular set of Redding die's! just full length size and there ready to load, No need to trim any until you have shot them 3 or 4 times. for the bolt gun I would use the Bushing neck die with a shoulder bump die and things would be perfect.

After my brass is fireformed I will sometimes use a K&M expander and an appropriate bushing (.263" or .262" depending on rifle and brass) in a Redding Competition Die (.223 Rem).
John

I use once fired brass as its easy to expand the necks.I also use the redding and have no problems.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinI run the 6mm/223 dies from redding and they work like a champ.

+1 ; Had some trouble at first; just took the FL Die apart & cleaned real good; then things went smooth.

Redding 6mm/223 die here as well.
Only problem I had was with lighter bullets(Sierra 75gr HP #1510) not seating deep enough. The die came with a 6mm seating stem I called Redding and they sent me a 22 seating stem no charge and I had no more issues.
I think Redding is now shipping with a different seating stem from what I remember hearing.

This was for use in a AR so OAL was a issue might not be the case with a bolt gun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pcammoAfter my brass is fireformed I will sometimes use a K&M expander and an appropriate bushing (.263" or .262" depending on rifle and brass) in a Redding Competition Die (.223 Rem).
John

John,,,,,,,, I was planning to use the K&M mandrel to neck up 223 brass and then use a Forster 223 Bushing bump die with the appropriate 6mm bushing for reloads. I prefer Forster dies over Redding (just a personal thing),, especially their seaters, so hopefully I can make that work out.
Quick question though,,, why would you use a mandrel to open up, fired cases? Doesn't firing them open them up enough for ya? LOL

I'd also like to hear what bullets ya'll are using for Deer sized game in your 6X45's.
I'm a fan of the 85gr SGK's, and saw some data suggesting that I could get 2800fps from them.
Any one try this bullet, and have you chrono'd it?

Thanks

BTW,,,, John,,, thanks for doing the hard work on reloading data.
I'm on dial up, so the PDF prevents me from taking advantage of it right now, but there's two company's doing site surveys in my area right now, so hopefully we can get some satelite service in the next month or so, and I can view it.

Originally Posted By: RePeteI'd also like to hear what bullets ya'll are using for Deer sized game in your 6X45's.
I'm a fan of the 85gr SGK's, and saw some data suggesting that I could get 2800fps from them.
Any one try this bullet, and have you chrono'd it?

85g SGK HP
25.5g BLC2 average fps 2701 10 shots
23.8 AA2015 is 2695 average fps 10 shots
25g H335 is 2696 average fps 10 shots.
All out of a 20" NFA upper all .680" - .890" at 100 yds.

An 80gr remington JSP w/cannalure (bagged bullets)average over the chrony. This is to be my Antelope load 200ys is 1.5" to 2".
2914 with 2015
2941 with W748
2826 with BLC2
2926 with H335

Originally Posted By: jmakI just ordered the Redding dies and was curious if anyone crimps their bullets for use in an AR15?
I have not & never had a bullet move, even when using a 55g sp bullet that was seated about .020" into the case, they held tight.

i use a 243 taper crimp VERY lightly---just a touch--had a sleeve put in it to centr it-- and cut it down at same time--

Sorry to take so long to respond. I do need to expand the necks just a bit, before running them through the bushing die. At least with this batch of brass (LC 10). In this rifle, I get much more consistent neck tension this way. I also tend to keep my p-dog ammunition in the 50-54 KPSI range.

Personally, the 85gr. Sierra BTHP Gameking is an excellent choice for deer size game at modest ranges in the 6x45. If you know someone with an annealing oven, you can make these bullets even better for the 6x45. Another excellent choice the Nosler 85gr. Partition. This bullet will expand at some very low velocities.

I am curious about this crimping thing; are folks having trouble with the bullet slipping in the case?
John

I should also mention that I attached a strain gauge to my second 6x45 rifle and was able to record data for about 30 loads over the last week. I will try to upload a updated PDF this week.

My goal was to collect pressure and velocity data while the temperature was still on the low side. This summer, I will fire the same loads again when it is a bit warmer.

If anyone has access to VV-N133, I would certainly recommend you try it with the lighter bullets in the 6x45. With pressures in the low 50KPSI range, and a 26" tube I can reach 3500fps fairly easy (55gr. NBT).
John

I just set up my Redding seating die and it has a #6 stem but it will seat 62 grain varmint grenades, 75 grain Sierra vaminter HP, 80 grain TTSX, and 85 grain Partitions all at a COL of 2.260 or less. They must have redesigned the #6 stem so that it will work with smaller bullets in an AR.

Also, has anyone tried the 85 grain Sierra vaminter spitzer on deer or coyotes? I was curious if it would preform better than the 75 grain HP.

Back