Help wanted. Having some trouble working up .20 tactical loads

Big10gauge

We have 2 24" .20 tac Dtechs that we have been trying to work up some good loads for a 40gr bullet, I have used Benchmark, Varget, 10X, X-terminater etc. All produce good accurate loads but I'm unable to get any decent velocity out of the loads before showing signs of pressure. Most of the loads are around 3600 or so before pressure signs become apparent. When I first tested it I was shooting 25 grs of Benchmark and the Chrony was showing 4100 fps and the brass was showing excessive presure markings. After duplicating the load another day I was getting about 3600 and still excessive pressure signs so the Chrony definately wasn't right on the first day. It seems that any published Max load is way too hot for these guns. Anybody able to achieve velocites above 3700? I would like to shoot somewhere between 3700 and 3800 if possible or is this asking too much from this cartridge out of a AR? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
This really doesn't surprise me.

I have been let down on more than one project also. So.........here is what I have.

I built a 20 Practical this summer and chronographed some loads. I have a 26" Krieger barrel on a EA upper and lower. I realize you are shooting a Tactical and not a Practical, but there is not a whole lot of difference. This is for the 40 gr. Berger.

My best load was 26 gr. of Benchmark, at about 3750 over 10 shots. I tested many other powders and most were in the low to mid 3600s. Benchmark was the only powder that was able to get me over 3700 consistently.

So take it for what it is worth.

Jim

By the way, I just looked through my books again and I had tested 5 rounds at 25 gr. of BM.

They averaged 3624 fps.

Jim

My brain is fried tonight, this all could have gone into one post, but I had another thought.

I don't know what you are using this for, but you could go to the 35 gr. Berger and probably do very well. If this is for coyotes, the 35 Berger is excellent and it will likely get you close to the velocity you want.

OK, I am done now.

Jim

I would recommend you try H4895 or if you can find it VV135 or VV530, you should be able to get at least 3800fps from your 24 inch barrels.I had the same problem although I have a 22 inch barrel I was getting 3600 to 3700 with max loads of all the powders you mentioned but ended up with VV530 running 3850fps. I actually got higher speeds from VV135 but ES was high so I quit on it. H4895 I have not tried but have heard that it gives good velocities as well.

Thanks Venatic, Mike said you had spent some time working on 20 tac loads. I just happened to have a can of H4895. VV powder is like gold dust around here, but I might be able to abscond with some.

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone else have any thoughts on powders and loads for the 20 tactical or practical? I'm looking to shoot 39/40s.

I've tried Benchmark, H335, IMR 3031 & IMR 4895 out of my .20 Practical with 40gr Bergers. My load development is out of a bolt action with a 24" Shilen barrel. 3800fps is my max. velocity goal with the Bergers.

Benchmark has yielded the highest velocities. I got 3800fps quite easily and quit shooting at just over 4000fps(a pretty "warm" load). At 3800-3850fps I'd say the pressure was reasonably high for a bolt action rifle but probably too high for a semi-auto.

H335 meters great and I've got 3800fps at the highest charge weight I've tried thus far. Pressure seemed reasonable.

IMR-3031 made it to 3800fps as well and grouped well. The biggest drawback was trying to get the longer granules through the small neck. It's definitely not a small caliber frindly powder for handloading.

IMR 4895 came up short on velocity, only making it to 3700fps. Grouping was fine it just filled up the case to fast.

Back