cost of bullets and brass

Already started. I shoot Bergers in my 308. I went to a place I buy from once in a while and the bullets went from $44.00 to $51.00. Guess I'll have to find something else my 308 likes.

I am getting a little low on bullets and powder..........
grin.gif

SAM_0268.jpg

Yeah, gettin a little low, 2muchgun. Better stock up.LOL
I have some 52gr. Hornady Hp's from 1984-85. My Dad bought these for a P-dog trip to South Dakota. The price on the box, $6.59.
If he was alive today, he would not be shooting much.
It's understandable about fuel and metal costs going up, but DANG it all has went WAY up from the earlier days.
I've read of guys paying a BUCK or TWO a pound, for powder LONG ago.
Imagine how much we all would shoot if it could still be done for that small of cost.

Y ou don't even have to go back that far to realize MUCH cheaper prices.

I started to reload simply because I like to be able to "tweak" my loads to my liking. And because some SAAMI specs simpoly do not allow certain cartridges to perform up to their potential, for a number of reasons.

Fact is, as much as I shoot, and as many guns as I have, I could not afford to shoot the amount I do if I did not reload..........

Over the last few months it became much easier to attain components. And there has been some price reductions. So since X-Mas I have been filling the few holes I had from some large purchases I made about three years ago. Those holes were small, and I got lucky with the primer sale at Cabela's. That filled one of my large holes.

I need to get a large order of bulk powder in, and some black powder. Then I should be fine for the rest of my life.

So yes, I look for more price increaes in the near future. But I plan on filling the last of my powder shortages in the next week or so. Then I could care less. I am tired of the games. And am financially on good enough footing to be able to fill those holes.

And I have also learned to enjoy shooting my cast bullets. and I have over 4,000# of different alloys on the casting shelves. So that will see me through!! Tom.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWOW 2much- Your reloading bench looks just like a kitchen cabinet! Way Cool!!

Thanks. That is actually only half of it.......

I hope there is no price increase I already feel like a cheap skate trying to shop all the sales and use all the discount codes etc.

I see that copper closed Friday at $4.34 per pound. That means C-110 will be about $6.00 per pound to the door and C-220 will be about $6.50 to the door. This means that a .308 jacket will contain about $0.09 in copper.........

How much does a copper jacket weigh??

There is 7,000 grains to a #. Does a jacket for 165 grain bullet weigh more than 50 grains?? If it weighed 50 grains then that would be 140 bullets to a # of brass?? If it weighed 50 grains(I don't think it is that heavy)then wouldn't the cost be about 3.4 cents per jacket?? I am pretty sure the lead in the jacket is most of the weight in a bullet?? But that is just an opinion.

And if you are talking about the all copper Barnes bullets then I see your point. But there is no justification what so ever for the ridiculous prices that Barnes charges. Again IMO.

IMO the mfrs. are just crying wolf when they say the cost of metals is the driving reason for a price increase. It just gives them a reason. I think the reason they raise their prices is more simple than the increase of commodities. I think they raise the prices "Because they can". Tom.

Last edited:
Well Tom, our C-110 jackets weigh just a bit over 50grs. for the 165gr. .308 diameter. I do wish that were the only copper that had to be accounted for. However, the reality is that, you waste nearly twice as much copper in the drawing process (that is, if you want to make a good jacket). You do get some of that value back as scrap (roughly 30% - value of scrap + storage of scrap + transportation of scrap). I ran the numbers about a week ago; our .308 jackets cost us $0.07-$0.12 each to produce. In some of our products we use J4 jackets......they are more expensive once you factor in transportation. Fact.

Thanks for the clarification. I kind of see what you mean now.

Only problem(not aimed to you) is the price increase that components have taken over the last couple of years is substantially more than the increase in raw materials(just my opinion). And I personally believe the higher raw material costs are already in the mix. I just truly believe the big boy are doing just fine. Look at their balance sheets, they are publicly available.

Besides you got to let me bit.. about something.
thumbup.gif

I am just glad I cast about 90%-95% of the bullets I shoot. and I have about 4000# of alloy on the shelves. So I am set for the rest of my bullet life. I may never need to buy another factory bullet agian. Except maybe a few more thousand Calhoon Double Hollow Points for the ground hogs. I may just order those tomorrow. Tom.

Last edited:
You are correct about the recent increases, I looked back at our copper purchase last summer and it was $5.85/pound for C-110 delivered. I guess the big boys are just speculating. That is fine too, because it will bring the price of generic ammo inline with the price of good custom stuff.

I just looked for fun and pure chemical lead is about $1.15 per pound delivered (40 tons min.) This is actually a little cheaper than two years ago, when we ordered last.

It all good! I dont mean to be a crabby in the mornings!
John

Back