Back in the saddle again #6 & #7 of the season

bushpilotmexico

Just got back from Mesa, AZ two weeks ago and yesterday was my first out hunting since my return. I posted a thread in early November about how U.S. Customs refused to allow me to enter the USA with my rifle and shotgun even though I had ATF permission to import them. That happened October 18th of last year.

I sent a letter of complaint to the Port Commander at Oroville, WA asking for an explaination. Low and behold mid January I received a letter of apology saying that all my paperwork was in order and I should have been alowed to bring the firearms across the border. Needless to say the original is now photocopied and will be carried with me in the future....I was even thinking of having it tatooed on my chest.

Kind of fouled up my Arizona hunting and my hope to get to Las Cruces for the PM annual hunt. I would like to thank kpcofgs, scottmilk9, rezdog and Barry for their offers to take me hunting, also to Tony Tebbe for his offer to lend me a rifle. Unfortunately without ATF permission and their legal document to back it up an alien or non-U.S. citizen can't have a firearm in his or her possession in the United States of America, it's a federal offense. I did get out once with Barry and did some calling for him.

Great day yesterday, my buddy Ron and I headed east of Osoyoos about 1 1/2 hours to a ranch that a friend of ours manages for a guy who lives in Vancouver. Between the drive to and from, including the yotes we saw on the ranch we spotted at least 16 but we only got shooting at the ones in the photos.

The two I got had been munching on a deer carcass down by the Kettle river. Ron spotted them as we were driving in and ranged them at 262 yards. I guess they spotted my Pathfinder and backed off about 25 yards and hid behind an old log. At first we didn't know there were two.....I had decided to take my 6.5-284 shooting a 140 grain Hornady A-max. I rested the rifle on my side view mirror and took the shot. Ron said that I had missed because he saw it run away, turns out that was the second coyote as I had cold clocked the first one. Then the stupid thing decided to go back and look at it's fallen comrade BIG MISTAKE....all I could see was it's head and neck behind the log so I squeezed off my shot and hit it exactly where I was aiming in it's neck 3 or 4 inches below the left ear.

Then we called for a while with no results so we decided to walk further north along the river, MAN ALIVE, we spotted a group of at least 7 on the far side just having a frolicking good time. I think it was a family group of last years pups. With me having shot two I decided it was Ron's turn for some action. He knocked down the one and was certain he had hit another. It was a good thing I had my rubber boots on because I wadded across the river. I found the one but there was no sign of the second one.

Picture006-35.jpg

Picture007-24.jpg

Great to see you back in the saddle. Missed your post this winter, always look forward to you taking a few from the "tire". No blue gloves?

I bet it felt good getting them coyotes after a couple of months in the AZ sun. When your back in AZ (with your guns) we will get after these coyotes down here. Keep at it...

Back