Case Head Seperation

Custer Jim

I got given quite a bit of used (once fired) 223 brass. All has gone well until last night when to started working with a bunch of Federal brass.

I noticed signs of case head seperation on the outside of the cases and after checking with a RCBS case master I had to discard about 150 cases.

I just curious as to why a once fired case would have this problem?

Originally Posted By: 17tacticalmaybe the shoulder was set too far back?
+1
Case head separation is invariably caused by pushing the shoulder back too far. Using a shoulder length gauge like the RCBS "case mic" makes setting the shoulder back the right amount easy.

Jack

Certainly as has been suggested, shoulders can be the cause your problem. The other is a loose chamber that will also lead to head separation. If you aren't experiencing this issue with other brands of brass, it is the shoulders that are off.

If I'm reading this right, and this is factory ammo, fired one time in someone elses rifle, wouldn't it be more likely that the rifle wasn't headspaced correctly.
I'm not aware of anywhere that one can buy new Federal Brass, so it's doubtfull that the shoulder was pushed back with a FL die. Right?

I can't find any brand new Federal brass for sale. This can't be a shoulder issue. I'm thinking that RePete is going down the right path.

Would love a little more info on the brass, was it re-sized when you received it? How do you really know it was once-fired? thanks

Sounds like a gun problem. I have a gun that gives me a difference of .012" between new and fired brass. I only get about 5-6 reloads before the case heads show signs of separating. I should see if Browning will replace the barrel.

I've noticed brass at the range that looked to be brand new that had problems. It has to be the firearm! I don't shoot ARs, but most the brass looked the same and there was a lot of it.

I've asked around and looks like it was military overrun sold back to federal for commerical sale. Came in a white light wieght box marked FEDERAL in red with cheap thin cardboard dividers. Had the military style primer that had not been reamed out, that is why I think it Once fired. I am lead to believe that it was fired from an AR style gun.

Well it is history now--in the bulk metal bin. I take no chances.

Originally Posted By: Custer Jim Had the military style primer that had not been reamed out, that is why I think it Once fired.

If it was fired, then the primers were removed and the pockets reamed, then fired again,,,, wouldn't that make it twice fired?
Sounds like junk brass ya found at the range that you have no idea where it came from or how many times it was fired.

Originally Posted By: RePeteSorry,,, I misread your earlier post to say the primer pockets "had" been reamed.

No problem I was just making sure I was not misunderstood.

I don't normally use brass unless I know where it came from except that once fired military has been no problem--a lot of work but it's price is right

Back