Savage Predator Hunter Model 10 "Max 1" in .22-250

sbranden

I just bought a Savage Predator with the 24" blued, fluted medium weight barrel, with AccuTrigger and AccuStock. Was just wondering if anybody out there has one of these, and if so - what if any factory loads shot well in yours? This is a 22-250 again, detachable box magazine,...etc.

My plan is to just do barrel break-in and some initial hunting this season with factory ammo, then get set up to begin reloading next year. (only need the dies really).

Finally, for those of you who have any Savage predator - let me know if you would please what mount setup you went with. I'll probably just move a Weaver V24 40mm with XDOT/Varmint reticle over onto this gun at first - test it, then if worthy maybe upgrade the optics later. Thanks.

A combo that works very well in both my 22-50 runs on Lapua brass, RE15 powder, Sierra 1365 pills and CCI BR2 primers. Due toa great variety of things, I find each rifle to be sufficiently different that talking about powder charges that work in my rig isn't worth talking about for another rig. What I have found is that I get heaps of fps using RE15.

I have the same gun. I have shot a lot of the white box winchester 45 gr hp ammo through mine with phenomenal accuracy. I did my barrel break in, sight in, plinking and hunted with this ammo this year and it always performed flawlessly. If it wasnt for the fact that I love to roll my own, I would shoot this stuff forever through mine.

Oh yah, forgot the rest of your question.... mine is set up with a nikon monarch 4-16 scope with a std duplex reticle. I used just plain burris steel rings, nothing fancy. I find the bdc reticles to busy for me when the dogs are coming.

This rifle will quickly become you're favorite to shoot and hunt with. They are just amazing!

I have one in 223. Love it. The only thing I don't care for is that recoil pad. Other than that, nothing else to say bad. It is a shooter too. No plans to sell it. I am sure the 22-250 is super nice as well.

You guys are getting me excited now. Great feedback, thanks! I've heard great things about Savage, and I have a friend where his last 2 out of 3 guns have been Savages and both can drive tacks. Hope I get a good one.

But the Winchester 45JHP's were definitely on my list from other searches I've done, as well as maybe the Hornady 55gr V-MAX's.

I have 40 V-MAX's, 50 V-MAX's, 50 BK's, 50 Blitz's & 52 HPBT's... all on hand already from loading .222 rem, so I'll probably start with 50 BK's or 52's whenever I can get around to reloading for this one.

Keep it coming! I probably have 2-3 weeks before they call to tell me mine is in.

i have the rifle in .223 as well. it is a great shooter. it loves the 55 grain v-max, although i picked up a box of the superformance rounds that i have not had a chance to try yet. great buy. you'll love shooting it.

4-16 Monarch with Burris rings, sounds like my 22 hornet setup. Mine is a UCC 4.5-16.5x44mm AO scope and it is one bright, clear piece of glass.

What is everyone else using in terms of mounts?

I want to get something that will keep this 40mm nice and low, but need enough clearance for the Butler Creek flip-up caps that are already on the scope.

Does this gun come with rings and if so, are they any good? Are they matte black finish, or camo'd?

Back