Florida coyotes

I'm Glad to see some Florida Hunters thought me and a couple other was all there was.

I live about 20 miles north of Panama City, I have made one setup with my spitfire called in two yotes rushed shot on both--

I like hearing to stories from westerners--but looking forward to listening to home state hunters.

David

Originally Posted By: JB55badcompany,
I think what squirrel was referring to is the Foxpro, not fox. Electronic calls are illegal to use in FL, if I understand the rules correctly.

I was talking about foxes. In Georgia you can legally kill red fox, grey fox and even fox squirrels.......but not in FL.
Electronic calls are 100% legal in FL for predator hunting, at least I hope so!!!

Originally Posted By: Squirrel J.Originally Posted By: JB55badcompany,
I think what squirrel was referring to is the Foxpro, not fox. Electronic calls are illegal to use in FL, if I understand the rules correctly.

I was talking about foxes. In Georgia you can legally kill red fox, grey fox and even fox squirrels.......but not in FL.
Electronic calls are 100% legal in FL for predator hunting, at least I hope so!!!

yeah-legal for non-game animals.

David

I am in the very NW corner of FL.

This year was the third PM convention/hunt I attended.
What I learned was that I was doing everything right, just not getting close enough to that many here.

Hello all. I have hunted for over 50 years, most everything and all in FL and enjoy varmint hunting the most at this time.

No expert but here is what I have learned:

Set up is 95% + of your success. Wind, sun, etc.
On one setup I was facing the sun and a coyote stopped at 30 yards out. I think it saw a reflection off of my scope or more likely the face of my TX-200 remote, should have turned it around or not set up that way.
If they know that you are in the area, they won't come in.
Full cameo, hands and face. I use a gillie long coat.
I like to stand up with gun on sticks pointed at caller. I can see better in the thick.
No movement.
Be ready to shoot right now when you start calling, until you leave the stand.
Have confidence, if they are there, they will come, be ready.
If they stop looking at the call, shoot. They will leave real quick when they don't see the dying critter.
They don't always stop, just get close to call and high tail it. Maybe smell you around the call.
Some will come in running, be prepared to shoot a fast mover.
Just be prepared for anything. They are as different as you can or can't guess.

Byron South told me that he uses prey sounds because they gota eat every day.
I have found that the grey fox pups in distress is my best producer here and out west.
Glen Guess calls hogs regularly, just get close to them.
Coyote vocals are producing for some right now.

Bob cats are real hard on turkeys, quail and can and do kill grown deer. There is a post re; same under biology.

Night hunting with a light in FL requires a special permit like a Degrading Deer Permit.

Coyotes aren't any harder here than out west, just not as many. Hunting BLM land is very nice and seemingly unlimited.
Hunting in NM is all different than the southeast. Thorns! some can puncture tires. They will scratch your paint. Lots of "roads" are stream beds that are dry - don't get caught out there when it rains - the high water marks are up to 50 feet higher than the "road". Cliffs can and do flake/fall off - for days after a rain. You can get stuck in gravel or high center, or...........

Some parties at the hunt - up to four people - found what I think was a this year family group and called in several at one stand. Other good/experienced hunters didn't have any luck.

This probably isn't everything but it is a good start. I have had the opportunity to hunt with several of the real pros that you read and hear about. Some of the western custom call makers can make some real enticing sounds and not have to carry an electronic caller. Many use electronic callers, which I am convinced are the way to go in limited visibility and jive better shot opportunities.

Southern NM has plenty of coyotes and places you can hunt but few deer. I hunted eight days this time and covered a lot of ground. I hunted with a local that has hunted and trapped all his live there and kills lots of coyotes- knows what he is doing. Saw four deer, three bucks - one a whopper, one shooter and one last day shooter and one doe. They can only kill one deer per year. Here deer are a nuisance.

In florida you can "legally" use the foxpros on coyotes and crows. In Georgia pretty much anything goes
smile.gif
Got to love a state that lets u hunt hogs with thermal imaging scopes at night
smile.gif
I prefer to hunt the hogs in daytime with my bow, but I definitely bust out my AR for the coyotes. I have called in as many as 5 coyotes at one stand, we pretty much leave the foxes alone since we like them, but the bobcats and coyotes are fair game
smile.gif
They eat way too many of my turkeys. Like I said, I would be more than happy to take you guys up to our lease and just spank the coyotes to your hearts content. You can even shoot a hog if you want one. Besides our lease we have several other places we can hunt coyotes to keep them off of other deer/turkey/quail leases. Let me know
smile.gif

Thanks for the invite...im in the process of building a 223 rifle to use as a predator gun, when I get it finished I will be ready!!

Originally Posted By: MajorK They eat way too many of my turkeys.

Hogs are hard on your turkeys too... They find a nest and they'll eat every egg in it.

You'd think more states would recognize that thermal imaging scopes are a very handy tool in the battle to control wild hogs.

Roger that Rocky. We take our toll on the hogs as well. We don't really want to eradicate them on our lease because .... well .... they're so tasty
smile.gif
We do knock them down every chance we get though
smile.gif

BadCompany ... just let me know when you are ready... I am getting a new rifle this friday myself, a compact model 16 inch barrel with a retracting stock that will be much easier to run and gun coyotes with. I currently haul my Hbar A2 Matchgrade bullbarrelled Colt around and it gets a bit heavy after the first couple of miles
smile.gif

im still tryin to make up my mind on a gun...16 inch 20 inch, carbine or regular so many options! I think an 18 inch barrel will be just fine, i dont want my gun to heavy.

My new rig got here the day before Turkey season ... was forced to kill the obligatory turkey on opening day to keep my streak going and then set up the new gun. I have it ready to roll now, scope mounted and dialed in, replaced front blade sight with yankee hill flip up front sight, and mounted my 3 point sling
smile.gif
I will post some pics from this weekend
smile.gif
I have a goooood feeling
smile.gif

Ya'll fellows are shore making it hard on this old boy--
angry.gif

Ya'll keep talking about your new toys//With me setting here hoping my chickens will hurry up and start laying so I can finance the rest of my build!!!
thumbup.gif

Congrats on the toys and lets see those pics--might change my mind what I think I wanting.

David

Got my new XLR250 KillLite today too
smile.gif
Mounted it on the rifle and it is awesome. I was in the back 40 looking thru my scope and I can definitely see 250 yards easily. I got the green LED version and its like looking thru night vision goggles ... only clearer
smile.gif
I may have to get to the lease extra early tomorrow and see if I can bang a yote before the turkeys hit the ground
smile.gif
I will post pics if I get something
smile.gif
The best part is the new mounts for the lights have an oversized knob so you mount it and remove it in seconds with no tools
smile.gif
It is much more impressive than it looks online
smile.gif

let us know how it works out. I have several lights now, waiting for a red cree led to arrrive with a pressure switch. I learned how to put that gel paper over the lights to change the light color(red, yellow or green). I bought two shotgun velcro mounts that I can mount any flashlight, now im looking for a rail mounts for my AR when it arrives. Good luck!! Rich

Back