Sitting in the open at night.?

So are you guys scanning with the light on all the time and the yotes don't care? I have hunted at night on snow with full moon but never with a light. This is new to me.

try to scan low near the edges of fields you throw your light beam back into the woods casting shadows the predator wont come out...my daughter shot a fox we had the call in front of me we were kneeling back to back with camo in the middle of a cut hay field it came right in..lol..have not tryed it since...oh a cat came in on my side...near forgot

Originally Posted By: TakemOriginally Posted By: sharkathmiIf that works for you Takem, thats great...
but you are in the minority.
Most will say to keep the sound close to the light, and you should be behind the light.
Good Hunting

I think eyes are the same everywhere. Not an opinion, it's a fact. Spreading bad advice is why most people think that.
Bad advice? Really?

I’ve pondered my response to this for a couple days now.
I find your comments to be both disrespectful and egocentric.
Simply because someone has an opinion that is different from yours does not make them wrong, nor does it mean they are giving bad advice, as you say.
You make it sound as though your opinions are the law and all others opinions are of no value.
Perhaps you can allow yourself to believe there are other opinions out there, other than your own.

I agree.

Nothing is set in stone in pred hunting.

What might work for one guy in say Pennsylvania, might not do doodley squat for the guy out in California.

To say this is the only way that such and such works, no other way will and that way is crap advice is asinine and untrue.

Like anything else there are varibles anywhere from terrain to the animals themselves.

What might not work on one Coyote in Bunnyville might be a death sentence for his cousin in Coyoteflats.

Whatever works, works!

Do whatever works.

Pretty cut and dried to me.

Thanks for all the info I tried to get out to my area I planned to hunt but the wind was blowing about thirty so I'll try it again when I get back home.

One more question The lake I will be on is really big so there is no way to get there without walking on the lake in the wide open. If I keep a head light on will this help me to get in there somewhat unnoticed or am I going to blow anything there by being in the open. Unfortunatly there is only one way to hunt this area so options are very limited.
Thanks again

i just killed a yote with the caller 50 yards away from me, setting in the middle of a open field, i never had done this before but im having some sucess with it, i personlly dont set the caller close to me so far its working as stated above find what works for you and run with it, i had a red fox run out of a thicket the other day at mach 8 which is unusual for me any way to have a red come in like that so i think everywhere and every animal can act different Ron

Originally Posted By: sharkathmiOriginally Posted By: TakemOriginally Posted By: sharkathmiIf that works for you Takem, thats great...
but you are in the minority.
Most will say to keep the sound close to the light, and you should be behind the light.
Good Hunting

I think eyes are the same everywhere. Not an opinion, it's a fact. Spreading bad advice is why most people think that.
Bad advice? Really?

I’ve pondered my response to this for a couple days now.
I find your comments to be both disrespectful and egocentric.
Simply because someone has an opinion that is different from yours does not make them wrong, nor does it mean they are giving bad advice, as you say.
You make it sound as though your opinions are the law and all others opinions are of no value.
Perhaps you can allow yourself to believe there are other opinions out there, other than your own.

theres opinions and bad advice. It fell under bad advice in my opinion. ha

Takem - are you saying that it's bad advice to have the sound close to you when calling at night? That's the way I read what you are saying. So I can only assume you are saying there is no place for hands calls while night hunting, since you can't exactly "put" the sound out there 40yds away from you? Please correct me if I've misinterupted what your calling "bad advice". But I'd be more than glad to introduce you to quite a few guys here in the east (myself included) who are successful night hunters, and all they use are hand calls. Where the sound comes from your exact position. And the predators come in looking directly at you, which is where the sound is coming from. It's not very polite to claim someone else is giving bad advice just because your opinion doesn't agree with theirs.

Guys- I just think that Takem ment that it is not true that eyes wont light up if the call is not in your lap. He is correct, that eyes will light up if the call is 50 yards up or down of your position and the predator isn't looking directly at you. I have seen many coyotes come running in circling downwind that were not looking at the call.

This has nothing to do with types of calls, Hillbilly1 don't get all fired up for nothing!
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NY Yote28Guys- I just think that Takem ment that it is not true that eyes wont light up if the call is not in your lap. He is correct, that eyes will light up if the call is 50 yards up or down of your position and the predator isn't looking directly at you. I have seen many coyotes come running in circling downwind that were not looking at the call.

This has nothing to do with types of calls, Hillbilly1 don't get all fired up for nothing!
cool.gif

Still overstepped his bounds by calling "bad advice"

Originally Posted By: getfoxyStill overstepped his bounds by calling "bad advice"

+1.

NY, I'm not fired up about anything. And I'm not comparing types of calls. From time to time I'll use my fury, but 90% of my hunting is with hand calls. I've got no issue at all with people who use e calls. Just seemed interesting to me that it's "bad advice" to have the sound close to you, while when using hand calls, it's not an option to have the sound 20 - 40 yds away from you.

To anyone that thinks that the caller has to be away from the hunter might want to watch some videos of Randy Watson and many others who call them from truck racks with mouth calls and do just fine Thank you.
I think the point here that there are different ways and opinions and we have carried the argument far enough to show that.
Keep it civil and this one can continue... if not well u know.

David and I do a fair amount of night calling with both hand calls and the foxpro. This is often standing out in the middle of a wide open pasture or out of the back of my white truck on a rack.

We usually sit the caller 20 yards or so out from us. You can see the eyes way before they get to the caller.

One reason I don't want the caller "in my lap" is because I have seen to many owls knock the caller off the fence post or out of the bush. I don't want an owl hanging his claws in the top of my head!

Out here in Wyoming we have 60,000 square miles of public lands, i.e. BLM, NF, SF, Reclaim, Wilderness etc... Can't use lights at night on public land except for coons. Deeded lands you can use lights, but some of the ranchers don't want you out at night due to cattle. Last full moon I picked up some movement in the snow, but brush and shadows killed any chance even though I could hear the snow crunching 50-60 yards away. If I could have lit him I would have really lit him.

Originally Posted By: venaticTo anyone that thinks that the caller has to be away from the hunter might want to watch some videos of Randy Watson and many others who call them from truck racks with mouth calls and do just fine Thank you.
I think the point here that there are different ways and opinions and we have carried the argument far enough to show that.

Well said
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: venaticTo anyone that thinks that the caller has to be away from the hunter might want to watch some videos of Randy Watson and many others who call them from truck racks with mouth calls and do just fine Thank you.
Keep it civil and this one can continue... if not well u know.

This is a much different style of hunting than most states allow and is completely irrelevant to hunting in Alaska or any state that doesn't allow hunting from a truck in a raised platform.

Secondly just like any tool, wind and terrain really dictates if the call should be placed at your feet or 75 yards up wind. Very often I do place the call at my feet and just as much I place the caller away from 40-100 yards really depends on the wind and how I feel the predators will approach...

On dark nights, I've done well sitting out in the middle of a field on the ground without any cover to speak of. As long as the yotes can't make out my outline against the horizon, it hasn't been a problem. To me it seems if it's an advantage to be in the middle of the field, with the caller closer to the edge of the woodline (on a dark night that is).

However, what works for me "from time to time" might not work for others.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: ultramagThe whole purpose of a ecaller is to direct the coyote away from your postion,day or night.

All depends. There are times when using a shotgun I want the coyotes coming directly at me and I want em to get in close. I'll put the caller right in front of me or next to me.

I agree with that, especially when you hunt tight quarters and heavy brush with the 12ga in the ready to go position - minimal movement for the yote to pick up on - get it close enough and it will then experience the kill light/muzzle flash.

Originally Posted By: hillbilly1Takem - are you saying that it's bad advice to have the sound close to you when calling at night? That's the way I read what you are saying. So I can only assume you are saying there is no place for hands calls while night hunting, since you can't exactly "put" the sound out there 40yds away from you? Please correct me if I've misinterupted what your calling "bad advice". But I'd be more than glad to introduce you to quite a few guys here in the east (myself included) who are successful night hunters, and all they use are hand calls. Where the sound comes from your exact position. And the predators come in looking directly at you, which is where the sound is coming from. It's not very polite to claim someone else is giving bad advice just because your opinion doesn't agree with theirs.

Nop, absolutely wrong. I love hand calls. How could you possibly come to that conclusion. Think harder. If you're using an ecaller.... Get it? Jesus. I have fact while others seems to have hearsay. You haven't tried it so don't tell me. Let me explain. Doesn't matter where on planet earth you might be it's the same. There are environmental factors, sure but it's the same. Same same same. Sometimes you have to be rude for people to get things. I would do the same in person.

Back