Any Fly Rod Experts?

bigsky_songdogs

I have a White Bear spin/fly rod bamboo set in a wooden case, it belonged to my Great grandfather. It is made in Japan and in great shape. I realize its not top of the line but its an old bamboo rod, so million dollar question.....................Anyone know what its worth?

What ever someone is willing to pay for it... In all honest I would suspect visiting a fly fishing forum will yield better results. I have an old bambo fly rod from my grandfather. It is priceless to me, but worth around $250 on the market. For me I would much rather fish with it and enjoy as he had enjoyed.

I would find a fly fishing forum and see what they think. I also have a wicker creel from the 1920s. I am nt sure what it is worth, but it is cool getting both together and doing a little river runs through it trow back.

Depending on condition and if everything is there in the set, maybe a couple hundred bucks if that.

The Jap flyrods dont have a market like the american ones do.

Many were made with Calcutta cane and not Tonkin cane which is a superior fiber to Calcutta.

Many of these sets were brought back after the war by returning soldiers so there are quite a few here, believe it or not.

To be honest they are not the best built rods, being mass produced and the quality is spotty. The casting dynamics of the rods leave alot to be desired too.

I was hoping when I read the thread title you were going to mention Everett Garrison.

I would then proceeded to tell you that you found a gold mine.
w00t.gif

Regardless ya got a nice keepsake and memento that you could actually still use.

I have one around here somewhere myself.

Im considering selling it actually. I need to clean out some space and have a want list thicker than my wallet. I've got more flyrods then I know what to do with.

You could put it on ebay. Like I said not much market for them. The american master makers are the big ones. Edwards, Garrison, Gillum, Halstead, Leonard, Dickerson. Yer running with the big dogs when youre buying and selling these guys works. Maybe you got some diamonds in that mess of other flyrods you got?

Can't add much to what was said here but I had one very similar to that about 12 years ago. I bought it for $75 planning on making a fly fishing shadow box type display. That project never took off so I sold if for the same $75 I paid.

Black Wolf - I was hoping for a Leonard or similar myself. If I can't find sweet treasures I sure like to hear of others finding them.

I live in the hub of once was the classic makers stomping grounds.

Many a fine bamboo rod came from around here. I hit all the garage sales and tag sales and havent scored yet.

Guy I know that builds em scored a Dickerson on ebay. Seller had no idea what it was. Turned out to be the only one of that model known to have surfaced so far. They are out there.

I do have a Dickerson 7'1/2" 5 weight trout rod I bought years ago. It is insured and locked away in a safe. These old valuable rods are nearly irreplaceable

I learned to fly fish because I grew up watching my grandfather doing it. Unfortunately, all his cane rods burned up in a shop fire during the 1980's.
frown.gif

On the upside, my wife, son, and daughter all want me to teach them how now that it is spring.
thumbup1.gif

Good deal. It is one of the finest sports there is.

Nice to see it passed along instead of forgotten about or condemned like many traditional and honorable outdoor activities.

That is too bad about the fire. He might have had some sought after collectables in there, but more importantly you lost some nice keep sakes regardless.

Thats a shame.

None of my family Flyfishes. I taught myself and also how to tie.

I also collect and fish bamboo rods. For me it's an opportunity to visit the past and walk in the shadows of great men, during a great time in a great country never to be seen again.

History at it's finest.

Nothing like a bamboo rod with a feisty Trout on the end of it's line.
thumbup1.gif

Back