Hog hunting advice

I was wondering if glen would chime in. I mean no offense but he he is pretty much the pro of pigs... anyway ill for sure take pics. Im so so so so pumped

Here are a couple from yesterday afternoon.

Whiterockhogs3-2-11.jpg

They will be cooking them on the pit Saturday.

Last edited:
Look at their anatomy... Rather large ears, long snout, little beady eyes.

They can smell reeeally good, of course they'll eat about anything, so dependent upon what you smell like, that might not be an issue. If you smell like a cheeseburger, it could be a good thing.

They can hear well also, but hogs are noisy critters by nature, unlike a deer. No tap dancing in the stand while waiting on them.

Sight is one of their weaker senses... If they're suspicious and paying close attention on a bright clear day, they can see amazingly well.

On the other hand, I was driving down the road in the woods here by the house a few weeks back, rounded a corner and saw one trotting down the road. Whipped the front end of the pickup off the road, grabbed the shotgun and stuffed it out the window, and he just kept on coming. Dark green pickup parked across a white sand road, running, with an exhaust system that needs to be replaced, radio going, me moving all around getting the gun out.... And, he trotted up to within about 35 yards before he locked up.

I tried to wait until he turned broadside to shoot, but he spun rather quickly. He took a load of 00 Buck, and a pretty good limp home with him.

Typically, they will try to see and hear you first, then they'll sniff the air trying to figure you out.

Sitting in a stand, I'm guessing that if you sit still, they'll walk right underneath you, without a problem!!

If they aren't coming to the feed, try and do some stalking around water or the thickest stuff you can find. In the thick stuff I have found they will hold up to you get really close, then bust. It can be hard to get a shot, but it's pretty exciting.

Hogs have one he11 of a smeller on them. They will smell you in a second! I've walked right up behind them though when the wind was right.

There's really no preparing for hogs, they're unlike most wild game in many respects, very much like wild game in other respects. Honestly...

In the last two years, trying to rid my yard of them, I had 2 walk up within 20 yards of me in the field while I was plowing breaks, mid-afternoon. Ran back to the house on the tractor, grabbed my 45, rode back out there looking for them, and drove up within 10 - 15 yards of them, and they never looked up.

Had one feeding at a game cam in the field, in the dark, a few days later; freshly plowed fire lines, so I put a sneak on her. When I finally decided I was about there and turned the flashlight on, expecting the hog to be 15 yards, she was 15 feet away, still eating.

Week later, was out walking the little swamp on the front of the field deer hunting one morning, caught a glimpse of movement off to my left, and one was trotting through the swamp 20 yards away.

Sitting in my deer stand this fall, had 3 sows and a whole herd of pigs walk right past me. If you had tipped that 15 foot stand over, I'd have landed the other side of them!!

They can be very wary, but they can also be the most ignorant critter you have ever hunted in your life!! If they're coming to bait, you shouldn't have any problems killing one.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Sounds good. Ill have to give it a try. Spot and stalk would be sweet with bow...which is what I am mainly hunting with

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Ever seen a MAD pig that has just been stuck with an arrow?

You might want to re-think the "spot and stalk" method if you're carrying a bow.
wink.gif

But then again ....... I'm a big chicken. And I've seen first hand what those teeth can do.
scared.gif

I have shot at least a dozen and AT at least that many more with a bow from the ground. On most occasions there were at least 5 or more in the group, and I have yet to have one charge me.

I have done the same thing with a muzzle loader where you only have one shot, and again, never had one charge me. It could happen, I guess, but not all that likely in my opinion.

Now, if they are being chased by dogs, then that is another story.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: Smokin250Sounds good. Ill have to give it a try. Spot and stalk would be sweet with bow...which is what I am mainly hunting with

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Ever seen a MAD pig that has just been stuck with an arrow?

You might want to re-think the "spot and stalk" method if you're carrying a bow.
wink.gif

But then again ....... I'm a big chicken. And I've seen first hand what those teeth can do.
scared.gif

Lol let me rephrase this then...im mainly hunting with bow and my GLOCK

Guys your info has greatly helped me. Im so beyond ecited I can't even think about doing much else. And let me just say I have PLENTY else to be thinking about. Hopefully everything goes well, but again like we all have said...I am hunting a wild animal...hope for best, plan for worst

Well just got back last night for alabama. Out of the group of 8 of us hunting only one guy saw pigs. It was a group of piglets. Kind of a bust but that's why they call it hunting. Second time I've gone hunting out of state and never even seen a pig.

Weather didn't help us either. Day before we got there they got 4 inches of rain.

O well maybe someday

Back