For coyotes....rifle, shotgun or both??

basko

I've done a search and didn't see much in the way of this question.

I've always used a rifle for coyotes, but I'm new to callin and stands and such. I've always just hit 'em as target of opportunity, which makes the rifle the best because they're usually pretty far out.

Now that I'm getting into the calling game, watching videos, reading here, etc....I see that some folks use rifles, some use shotguns. I hear of some taking both to a stand.

Hope this isn't too stupid a question, but what do you carry and why?

I can see the advantage of using a shotgun and having a rifle for those you can't get within 50 yards.

My first yote was shot @ 25yds. My scope on my 22-250 was zero @ 200yds.....all I could see was fur and I squeezed one off. Sure could have used a shotgun that day. Since, I have purchased a Rem 660 .243 and that is my new yote rifle. Its short and light. MOA shooter and it is not over scoped. I can take a 25yd shot now and see where I am aiming. Lots of yote hunters have both in the field but I do a lot of walking and to carry a rifle and shotgun is just oo much for me.

For me, the terrain dictates rifle or shotgun. I hunt this mostly:

6c7b986c.jpg

If I get on an elevated stand on a hillside with a view. I take a rifle.

Carry both, keep the shotgun in your hands. If one pops up at 25 yards (all but one of mine this year were under 50) you will be ready. If you have one at rifle range, you should be able to switch guns without being seen.
This is what I was told, however, carrying both is a pain. So all of mine were shot with a rifle while the shotgun sat in the truck.

I've brought both, it is a pain! Sometimes I get on stand with one & needed the other! I'm back to attempting to bring both. I hunt in an area that is dense SO close up shots happen, but I get 75-150 yard shots too & you ain't gonna drop a yote with a shotgun at that distance. Need one of those shotgun-rifle duallies!

I mostly hunt with someone else and I use hand calls so I will have the shotgun while my buddy has a rifle. If I am by myself I bring both in the truck and then terrain tells me what to use.

I have shot more with a shotgun but I kill my share with the rifle too.

Mostly rifle here, I always plan to carry both but the one or two times a year that it would be needed just doesn't justify it for me. I may bring it a little under this next moon just because they have been really coming hard as of late around here.

Also its pretty open here, and our they tend to circle outside of 50yds

I carry both, even out here in the wide-open west we get some close shots. One day in January I had 4 coyotes within 50 yds by 11:30 am. I got an Eberlestock pack that the shotgun slides in right down your spine and I hardly know it's there. It's an extra 7 lbs or so but I like that better than not having it when I need it and with that pack design your 2 guns don't bang around...

Def both if ya can bear the extra weight, I usually always have a bud with me, so one will have the rifle the other a shotgun.....in the terrain I hunt I've never killed a yote with a shotgun only rifles, but those foxes that come blasting in get a taste of the mighty T-shot!!

It really depends on each stand, on which gun that I grab. I used to tote both to a stand, but since I switched over to a short barreled AR a few years ago, I find myself carrying just the the rifle. If in brushy country, I carry just the shotgun.

Tony

I like to hunt tighter cover and carry a rifle/shotgun combo, more open country a rifle. If I'm hunting with a partner I carry the combo more often.

AWS

Back