Best .243 for the money?

I have two 700's that I'll never sell but if I was to buy another .243 I'd seriously think about a Tikka. My two coyote huntin' buddy's both shoot Tikka's and they love them.

I have a savage model 11 with the accu trigger and accu stock. I really like this rifle, shoots great and fits me perfect. I don't think you can beat it for the money. It sounds like others have had good luck with other brands as well so I would say what ever feels best for you.

For that kinda money. I would look at the kimber Montana I love mine ant at 5lbs it is a joy to pack around. I liked it so much that I bought a 223 to go with it. I really like the model 70 action though so I liked it just for that fact. Then I found out all the others joys of the little rifle.

I really like my .243 BAR Lightweight Stalker. BAR triggers are generally pretty bad and mine was no exception. This guy did a trigger job for me and I couldn't be happier! Trigger Work

If you happened to get a BAR, you'll definitely want to pay the $39.00 to get this done.

I would go savage. Just picked up an old ruger tang safety last night. I am not a big tikka fan had one brand new and it wouldn't fire the rounds. Factory hornady ammo. Put the same shell in my ruger heavy barrel and bang. JMHO

I would pick either a Rem 700 sps stainless or a tikka T3 lite stainless.

I have one of the 700's. It is a very nice "blue collar" gun.

I also agree on the Tikka T-3. Nothing fancy but light as a feather and shoots like a dream.

Just had my .223 tikka out yesterday. Wanted to find out how it does with a cold clean barrel. Sighted it in on a hot summer day last year and the barrel had atleast 50 rounds down it with no cleaning. Was getting 3 shot moa groups off shooting sticks. So I cleaned it good and put it up last year. Took it out yesterday and put out clay targets at 125 yards using shooting sticks. I shot about 15 of them and I can say there is no cold clean barrel flyer. The bullet on the first shot happened to just poke a hole in the target and not break it. I could see it was dead on. Its like I can't miss with this gun. Next time I'm going to take ice cubes. clay targets are far too big at 100-125 yards even on 1.5x I couldn't miss. So that means the dog I missed at 25 feet on the run was all my fault! I gotta get this gun on a longer range.

If you wanted to spend more then I would get a Sako. Maybe an older sako action and have a good barrel put on it. I'm a sako lover on a tikka budget!

Last edited:
Tikka fell in love bought another one. adjustable triggers. sliky smooth bolt. and 1 inch moa or send it back. what more could you ask for. will prolly never buy another bolt action from another brand. +1 on Tikkas

I just picked up a Howa 1500 .243 package. Came with a adult green hogue stock as well as a youth back hogue stock, also in the package was a nikko stirling 3x10x42 with rings and bases. All of this for the price of $518 plus tax so right around $530. Its definetly a shooter. whipped up a quick 85 grn sierra arund 3200 fps, did a quick boresight at the house. Immediatly the first 3 shots were around a .765 goup at 100. That is straight out of the back slapped the scope on her and let em fly. Highly recommend this rifle.

Back