GAS PRICES AND BUG OUT PLAN?

To add to what you said Stu; take that $1,000.00 you spend extra every year(assuming it stays fixed), multiply that times every other driver in your catagory(my two trucks = $2,000.00 a year more) and SUBTRACT that from your other purchases in life and you wind up with a lot of businesses, and employees suffering serious financial pain and bankruptcy. I STILL believe the price of energy was a major component to this last financial melt down, and, we are on the cusp of another melt down without fully recovering from the last one. The price of energy will take its toll. This is some real serious sh&* coming down.

Just my additional 2CTS (borrowed at 6.0% for 30 days)...

Last edited:
And $1000 a year is a mortgage payment or a month or so rent for a lot of folks. It will hurt everyone, but the folks at the bottom will be killed.

Then again, that fits right in with producing a larger government dependent populace, doesn't it.

When gas goes up I think it is the compounding of a few cents added to the cost so many times in so many places.Anything that is made in a factory for example,out of several parts that are trucked in to the plant from several places all cost a little more and then it cost more to ship to the store.Then it costs the end consumer more to drive to the store to buy the product.The cents added everywhere all wind up with the end consumer,everything we buy cost more because of higher gas,not just the gas we buy.Its not just the gas we buy for our own auto that hurts.Most Americans have always been hard workers and when times get hard we just try to work harder,longer to keep up,but the hours in a week are not longer and people just can't work hard enough to keep up anymore.

Yep, and when people can't pay their mortgage and get foreclosed on, or use credit cards and get deeper in debt because they are "short", or lose their jobs because the company they work for was already on the edge, or don't go on that vacation because it's gotten too expensive, or have to close their small business because the regular "vacationers" never showed up, or airlines have to charge more because of fuel costs, etc, etc, etc.

Our economy is interconnected and extremely energy dependent, as are the economies of all the "developed" nations in the world. That's not just theoretical, it true to such an extent that economists use energy use per capita as a measurement to determine the wealth of a nation.

There's a "tipping point" somewhere, the question is just where it is.

The truly unbelievable/sad/stupid thing is that we have brought this entirely on ourselves with our insane energy policies/regulations.

Is the ban on drilling in the gulf still on?That is so stupid.Closing the barn after the horse is out.From what I understand if they were allowed to drill closer to shore it would be cheaper and safer.I guess some folks like them out of sight so they can pretend they are'nt there and just fill up and don't think about it.Thats one thing that really gets to me is people with their head in the sand and lie to their self...well thats a whole nuther can of worms.

Quote:From what I understand if they were allowed to drill closer to shore it would be cheaper and safer.I guess some folks like them out of sight so they can pretend they are'nt there and just fill up and don't think about it.
Florida has, for years, protested having drilling rigs within sight of their beaches... They are afraid that the tourist industry will suffer too much from having to look at them..

If an increase in gas prices will cause you to not make your mortgage payment, you've really screwed up somewhere along the way.

How many years have we lived this ride? We know -KNOW, for a fact- that gas prices change, sometimes radically & they're vulnerable to any number of causes.

I moved here in 2001 & as I recall, paid about $2.00 a gallon to get here. Then gas dropped & for a while it was running around a buck to $1.30. It's been up, it's been down, it's been all around.

After katrina it peaked over $4.00. It then dropped back down to under $2.00. Now with most of the mideast in turmoil it's back up around $3.50 for most of us.

It's gonna go higher. At some point it will drop back down.

You know this. It does it all the time. If you don't consider it & leave some room in your budget to allow for it, you might want to ask yourself just how that's working out for you?

Elections have consequences. We elected a man who was openly hostile to the free market, to our current, proven forms of energy, who openly said that he thought $4.00 a gallon was fine.

Well, we're getting it.

obama-gas-prices.jpg

Quote:If an increase in gas prices will cause you to not make your mortgage payment, you've really screwed up somewhere along the way.

True, but there are a whole lot of folks who are in that position. When they go under it won't matter much that they should have planned better, the cost will be spread across all of us to some extent.

When a company gets less than they are owed because of a foreclosure/bankruptcy/etc, it's a cost.

The first law of business/economics is that ALL COSTS must be passed on to the consumer/end user in order to stay in business.

Longbarrel,
$3.65! You must be up county to be paying that much already. Just got back from Newport sign said $3.59.9/10. And no I wasn't at Wal-Mart!

No i aint up in the ''COUNTY'' Im right here in Lincoln but everyday i wish i never left the ''COUNTY''..... LOL !!!

The news is saying we may get some relief in gas prices as Japan has washed away and won't be using as much gas.Tough way to get prices down.
When Jimmy Carter got mad at the Soviet Union and made the US quit trading with them the bottom dropped out of possum hide prices as they use a lot of fur and felt.My hide money is what I bought dog food with.So Jimmy Carter made my old hound dog go hungry.It is a small world sometimes.

This is a historic time.The world is changing fast ain't it.I hope Japan can keep their reactors from meltdown.How much warning or time did people have before the wave came on land?

Last edited:
just keep in mind that who you elect does have an impact. Remember when the dems, afraid of the upcoming 2008 elections, voted to authorize offshore drilling? And then one of the first things they did in the new congress, having the majority, was to repeal that.

Obama has a reason to spend BILLIONS now on them jap's...Meanwhile the U.S. goes deeper in it's grave.. I dont remember did they come to THE OIL SPILL here ( NO THEY DIDNT ) SINCE WHEN IS IT OUR BUSINESS TO CLEAN UP THE WORLD as Iraq , Afghanistan , Mogidishu , Africa , and now Japan.... Ignorance at it's finest in the house.... Wait till we need the favor returned WE WILL BE ON OUR OWN AS ALWAYS !!!!

Back