Which AR to buy?

wvbowman04

Im lookin for a new toy and my first AR. I have a couple rifles in mind but would like everyones opinion on which brands you have found have the best fit / finish, accuracy, and reliability. All of my predator hunting is done in the woods of the east so most of my shots dont require me to reach out very far.

I am lookin to get a carbine length rifle with a 16" barrel and collapsable stock. I would like it to be a flat top without the A-frame front sight. Im goin to put flip up front and rear irons with an eotec type optic.

The models I have been looking at are the RRA Elite Comp, Bushmaster Modular carbine, Stag Arms Model 3, and the S&W M&P 15T and M&P15 PSX. I am open to any and all suggestions and opinions on these as well as any others you would suggest.

Thanks in advance

I have the 20 inch RRA Predator Pursuit model and its accurate. They have a 16 inch they are offering now. Fit and finish is great.

Originally Posted By: leanporkerMight want to check out Remington R15 with collapsable stock. Tack drivers.

+2 on the R15. Although I don't have the collapsable stock mine is still a golf ball destroyer at 100-200 yds.

I just finished this one and havn't even had the chance to shoot it yet, But it is set up like you described only you probably would want a different rail. It's a Spike LE Middy with a spikes lower and Enhanced LPK with NiB battle trigger. On top is the New Eotech XPS3. HMMM Maybe I should head to the range this morning.

Crappy cell phone pics, cause my camera is a work.

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leanporkerMight want to check out Remington R15 with collapsable stock. Tack drivers.

+2 on the R15. Although I don't have the collapsable stock mine is still a golf ball destroyer at 100-200 yds.

I have the R-15 in a .204.....I want a different stock for it,But will have to wait for some more cashola

IMG_6828.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Bushmaster Modular Carbine and I love it. It is super accurate. However, if I had it to do all over, I would get something different. In my opinion, the Modular Carbine comes with a bunch of stuff I don't need or desire on a hunting rifle. First, it has a free float quad rail. Dont need it. I would like a free float tube without all the rails. Second, it comes with an ACE skeleton stock. Good, comfortable, solid stock, but I prefer a collapsable for the convenience and weight reduction. Lastly, the barrel is too heavy. It is a tackdriver for sure, but it gets heavy hiking with it all over coyote country.
If I were going to buy a new rifle for calling coyotes, I would either build one, or buy a Bushmaster ORC. Just my $.02. Good luck with whatever you choose. AR style rifles are loads of fun!

I have 3 AR's, but the Rem R15 is by far my favorite. It's a personal choice, but I don't like collapsible stocks on a hunting rifle, nor the quad rails, etc. I like the longer 22" barrel too. With the right sling, weight isn't a factor to me. It's a tack driving hunting rifle.

I have an Remmy R-15 in .204 they are very accurate, no preoblems at all with it in a year and a half about 500 rounds thru it. I am in the market for another AR, beings I already have the R-15, i think right now I am leaning towards a RRA or posibly a custom build. Heard great things about RRA rifles!

Originally Posted By: Texas soloI have 3 AR's, but the Rem R15 is by far my favorite. It's a personal choice, but I don't like collapsible stocks on a hunting rifle, nor the quad rails, etc. I like the longer 22" barrel too. With the right sling, weight isn't a factor to me. It's a tack driving hunting rifle.

I have the regular stock on mine and want a collapsible stock on it,Planning to go out today and shoot it.

Personally, I've had great luck with my DPMS 16", with a few upgrades that were available at the time...

DPMSARa.jpg

It has a bull barrel, 1/9 twist, with the chromed bolt carrier group and a RR Match 2-stage trigger...

I've since decorated it a little...

DPMSPaint1.jpg

But, it's carried me through several major action competitions and handled several thousand rounds of high speed shooting and has still maintained it's accuracy

I believe it's the forerunner to the current 'Sweet 18', but as I said, it has a few upgrades to it....It is equipped with an Elevated Optical Platform (EOP) upper that allows me to use standard optical rings, rather than the necessary one piece mount that is normally needed for the standard flat top....

I can switch optics as needed without losing my zero on each, as there are times when the EO-Tech is best and others when I want either my 2-7x (shown), or a much higher power optic as a back up rifle for Prairie Dogs..

I have a RRA Coyote 16" rifle on order. Having them put folding front and rear sight on and a collapsible stock. Debating what to put on for glass, but am leaning towards the Eotech. Hopefully it will be worth the wait. Ordered it back in January.

I don't know about the current ownership of DPMS... When I got mine, Randy Luth was still the owner, and a heck of a fine guy...They still have some great employees there..

Jimmyg75, yes they are made by them. But Remington doesn't own them, they are all owned by the Freedom Arms Group, including numerous other gun manufacturers.

I am afraid you will find the question you are actually asking is "which AR should I buy next". By many accounts, including me, the first was just that....

You have mentioned some good quality rifles. My bet is you will like any/all of them after you buy. I recently advised a buddy to pull the trigger and buy an RRA.

There are also lots of custom builds you can get from many sponsors here. The cost is not that much more and those who do seem to be very happy. I didn't go that route and started with the RRA coyote carbine. I still really like that rifle (so do my kids). It will likely be the one that kills my next coyote (suppressed of course). That is unless I take my 6.8 from ARPerformance. Decisions decisions.

IMG_65802.jpg

Enjoy your AR.

Sendit

Last edited:
I have just started to get the AR bug for varmints/predators. I especially like the idea of the 20rd mag when shooting PD's.

I have several other AR types, including a 308, but I was looking at the dedicated predator models made by a few different companies.

I would really like a left handed model from Stag, but have to think of others using it and possibly selling in the future. LH models don't do well in the aftermarket.

So far, I have looked at Stag, RRA and Bushmaster and am leaning towards the Stag model 6.

All I have to do is sell a couple of pistols and I should have enough for the gun and a decent scope.

bob

Back