moly coated bullets bad for rifle?

BRIZ

i was talking to my gun guy and he was telling me that moly coated bullets were bad for the rifleing and barrels of rifles.

something about that the moly comes off and sticks to the barrel (witch gives it the ability to shoot the buellt out faster with less preasure) but then the moly draws and keeps moisture causeing the barrel to pit up and rust out faster than normal, unless you scrub your barrel out arter each time you shoot a round down it.

but then it takes 4 ot 5 rounds to get the barrel "lubed" back up to shoot the same point of impact that you would get while shigting in.

so in a hunting situation, you would have to go out, shoot 4 or 5 "fouling" shots, then go hunting. then when you get home, scrub your bore out real well. just to do it agian next time you go out.

i do clean my rifles after i shoot them, but not if im hunting all the time with it and dont shoot, or just shoot one or twice, i'll just come in whip it down, run a boar snake down it and rub some oil on it.

is there anything behind this moly coated deal at all that i should really worrie about?

I'm no gunsmith, but I have 3 rifles that I've used with moly coated bullets for about 6-7 years. When I'm prairie dogging, or all day at the range I may boresnake them halfway through the day (or not) then at the end of the day. My bores are all in very good shape with no pitting. The only problem I see with moly is the black fingers. I don't know if it really makes anything all that much better, but it hasn't hurt my weapons or their accuracy.

Moly has had zero effect on both my varmint guns and all they have see are moly coated bullets. I clean them very well when done also. Over 70k rounds actual shot rounds speaks volumes instead of hearsay.

veary true on that 5spd!!

thats why i asked, id love to experment with some moly's but dident want get fould up...no pun intended!!

thanks!

oh, keep it comming guys, id really like to take a poll if anyone has had issues!

I do not think that it will make that big of a difference. I have heard the Gunsmith's at the range say not to use it. I have never really talked to them about the subject as to why not. I have never seen a need to use moly coated projectiles either. So I have never asked them as to why.

I have a few rifles that I use moly coated bullets in. I haven't seen any bad things happen. I really like being able to shoot more rounds before cleaning is needed to restore accuracy.

I am all for proper cleaning and lubrication, but as is often posted too many people ruin good barrels by improper cleaning.

If more people focused on proper cleaning techniques, the world would be a better place. (OK, I'm joking)
smile.gif

I just started using moly coated bullets. With the same load data, group size has improved (decreased) slightly, barely noticeable, may have just been a good day shooting, really. I cleaned the barrel thoroughly afterwards and noticed it took a little longer to come clean.

It's 6's to me on moly or not moly.

I used to shoot moly. That rifle would have to have about 10 rounds down it to start throwing consistent velocities. After that it would shoot great for alot of shots, i didn't clean for at least 150 rounds and it was still shooting tight clusters. But when I decided to clean it, it was a very long chore. If I was planning on a long weekend of prairie dogging, I would shoot moly. If I was just shooting occasionally and not cleaning that often, I would shoot naked bullets.

i would not be with out it in my 17.rem it keeps it shooting straight for many rounds.and if you get on the berger website walt has the cleaning instructions it is not hard

I was "told" by a gun counter guy that moly bullets are good in bores that have pitting and nicks in it. The moly filles them in and extends the bbl life. Dont know how much truth there is to that. He also said that if you shoot moly, you should stick with it and not go back and fourth. Dont remember his reasoning behind that theory. Anyhow, again, this was told to me, not my actual experience.

Tony

Originally Posted By: HereticI cleaned the barrel thoroughly afterwards and noticed it took a little longer to come clean.

why did ya go & do that?

One of the basic premises behind using moly coated boolits is that you don't have to clean as often. More like you hardly have to clean at all, unless your rifle's accuracy has fallen off to the point of worry. Otherwise, just keep shootin'! Seriously, keep shootin'...

There's soooooo much mis-information about moly that it ain't even funny anymore.

I will go out on a limb and speculate that many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many more barrels have been damaged by over cleaning than 'pitting' due to moly use. Oh, and moly itself don't pit metal!

One more thing, most who advocate using moly won't even touch this debate, since it's a 'no win' situation to explain any benefit it may give.
I guess I ain't smart enough to keep my trap shut? (must be all the moly powder I've whiffed
scared.gif
)

If ya decide to 'mess' with moly, here's two tips.

ONE: start with a barrel that is COMPLETELY CLEAN. Any copper, carbon, moisture or other fouling will remain UNDER the coating of moly otherwise!

(think of this analogy: would you WAX a dirt covered car, or clean it spic&span first so the wax does it's job on a clean surface of paint???)

TWO: once you shoot moly boolits, ONLY SHOOT MOLY BOOLITS!!!

that's about it...
smile.gif

I doubt it. The reason I say that is, I used Dri-Slide moly lube on all my outdoor equipment (snow machines, motorcycles, etc.) for years, and I never saw any rust on the cables or liners.

They never got dried off or oiled with petroleum-based stuff.

For what that's worth.

If moly coating would hurt anything about your bullets or your guns, companies like Sierra would not offer it. I have used moly coated Sierra bullets for years with no problems. It is a fact that you don't have to clean your bore as often when you use them.

Most serious shooters jumped on the moly bandwagon 20 years ago. Pretty much none do it now.
There are no advantages and many disadvantages.

It definitely will cause corrosion if left in the barrel in a humid climate. It is a very distinctive type of corrosion easily seen through a borescope.

If you clean, then it takes 10+ rounds to settle down.

Jack

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherI was "told" by a gun counter guy that moly bullets are good in bores that have pitting and nicks in it. The moly filles them in and extends the bbl life. Dont know how much truth there is to that. He also said that if you shoot moly, you should stick with it and not go back and fourth. Dont remember his reasoning behind that theory. Anyhow, again, this was told to me, not my actual experience.

Tony

Ouch. Another gun counter guy!

I recently read on one of the barrel makers site that their independent tests showed barrel damage with moly along with cleaning issues.
They recommend not using moly.
I tried it once with poor results and a very messy cleanup.
To me it is like putting additives in your motor oil. No need if you use good oil an change it at proper intervals.

I have had good results with Winchester/Combined Tech bullets with Lubalox coating.

BRIZ,
This is another one of those topic that you'll never get consensus on either way. I have a couple of shooting buddies who've been shooting Moly Coated bullets for years. I don't do it because it's a mess to clean up my barrel. All that Moly does is to lubricate your barrel and helps get consistency in velocities and accuracy with better quality bullets. Think about it...there are companies that sell Moly Coated Bullets. Do you think they'd stay in business if their products did damages to people's rifles? Heck the top brand of Rimfire ammo thats costs bucks up all have coated bullets that are used by the serious shooters. And it is true you have to usually shoot about 10 rds to get the barrel lubed properly after cleaning. I think the stories about doing damage are a myth at best and I can come up with as many studies that support it as well as some that claim its a bad thing to do. Besides, it's your rifle. Do what makes you happy and others can do likewise. Like I said, you just aren't going to get everyone to agree on some things in shooting.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsIt definitely will cause corrosion if left in the barrel in a humid climate. Jack

Ok, but won't ANY barrel begin to corrode if left in a humid climate?
Moisture is the problem, not the moly. If the moly itself were the catalyst, why would ANYONE have even tried it in the 1st place?

Originally Posted By: from Wikipedia , of all places!
Specific uses
MoS2 is often used in two-stroke engines; e.g., motorcycle engines. It is also used in CV and universal joints. MoS2-coatings allow bullets easier passage through the rifle barrel causing less barrel fouling allowing the barrel to retain ballistic accuracy much longer.[7] This resistance to barrel fouling comes at a cost of lower muzzle velocity with the same load due to a decreased chamber pressure.MoS2 is applied to bearings in ultra-high vacuum applications up to 10−9 torr (at -226 to 399°C). The lubricant is applied by burnishing and the excess is wiped from the bearing surface.[8]

MoS2 is also used in ski glide wax. Many ski wax manufacturers use it now to prevent static buildup in dry snow conditions and to add glide when sliding in dirty snow.[9][10]

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsMost serious shooters jumped on the moly bandwagon 20 years ago. Pretty much none do it now.
There are no advantages and many disadvantages.

It definitely will cause corrosion if left in the barrel in a humid climate. It is a very distinctive type of corrosion easily seen through a borescope.

If you clean, then it takes 10+ rounds to settle down.

Jack

+100.....not worth the effort

Back