Florida coyotes

badcompany

any other fellow Florida coyote hunters...I know you guys up North dont think about Florida as being full of coyotes, but theres tons of them here!!!!!

Where you at in Florida?

I'm way north just below the Georgia line. Another one here about 30 - 40 miles south of me, and one way over around Pensacola taht I've run across.

Im in
Tallahassee, hunt alot in Cario,and the Bainbridge Ga. Area. Im just getting started with coyote hunting got a Foxpro Fury. Shot at one, wasnt ready for others but im learning fast!!!

North of Lake City myself.

Check with watermelon growers in your neck of the woods. Little known fact, coyotes love watermelon too. They will chew a hole in the rind and eat the heart out of them... by the hundreds over the course of the growing season. Melon growers have no use for yotes either.

(I wonder if Rudy could turn me a call and voice it watermelon?)

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one on here, glad to see a couple other Florida boys. I have been at it for a few years, still no yotes, but plenty of bobcats and foxes.

I'm outside the Tampa area and have property outside the Cedar Key area, midstate. I've only been at them a couple years, but I'm learning quickly. I've killed quite a few so far and there are TONS of them here. Several years ago the Tampa International Airport had to hire a trapper because there were so many running across runways and there was concern, especially for the smaller planes. A newspaper article followed up a month or two later and the trapper claimed to have taken something like 60-70 coyotes and figured he had less than half.

I'm in Pace, between Milton and Pensacola. Just got well enough to start hunting them. Have a couple of areas up by the Alabama line that are having a problem. Will be after em real soon.

Has anyone been hunting the Eglin AFB or Blackwater forest?
OB

I use a foxpro fury, the baby cottontail/adult cottontail seems to work the best for me. the first time I used it a coyote showed up in less than a minute, and i was not ready. I have called in foxes several times, and have even had then bit my foxpro fury speaker. Im still learning and im looking into night LED lights now.
I called in a field one morning with no luck, then went just inside the woods. I had a black coyote show up quickly, he was just looking at the caller...#4 buckshot peppered him!

I usually just hunt at our deer lease, but I did try the national forest ONCE. My hunt ended pretty quickly when some kids walked up to my Mojo Critter thinking it was a cat toy.

Congrats on the black coyote, seems like we have quite a few around here.....of course I've never seen one.
Similar stuff on the foxes with me, had them biting the Mojo Critter and had to scare them off. (just FYI, for the others reading this.....foxes are illegal in FL, but legal just a few miles away in GA)

Last edited:
I dont want to kill foxes or bobcats really, but its fun to mess with them after you call them up!! I have this predator enticer, works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just moved from Jacksonville to Titusville, killed a good amount of coyotes right outside of jacksonville, here in titusville we are infested with hogs so thats my new hobby here. I use a foxpro spitfire for the calling, RRA 223, DPMS 223 or a rem700 223 for the coyotes, and for the hogs I stick with my double star lower with custom built 308 upper and occasionally my bow.

Have you tried the Echo ER1 on Corn Feeder BC? If they're anywhere near a hunting lease odds are they are dialed in to the local feeders, and that one might bring them in.

Hey guys ... I live in Havana, have a lease in Bainbridge. I have called hogs, yotes, bobcats and foxes in over the past 3 years. I have a foxpro scorpion that I use to run and gun, and I add my SP-55 speaker if I want to howl or call in the crows
smile.gif
You guys in tallahassee let me know if you want to hook up for some predator hunts. I am always lookin for new guys to hunt with
smile.gif

badcompany,
I think what squirrel was referring to is the Foxpro, not fox. Electronic calls are illegal to use in FL, if I understand the rules correctly.

Back