Beagle

coonwrangler

Hey everyone, I just got a beagle, he's about ten months old and I want to train him for rabbit. But every time I let him off the leash he go's running off and won't even blink when I call him. I'm afraid he's gonna run off for good. How can I train him to come back when I call him?

If you are going to run hounds I would be getting a shock collar,if your dog is loose and not in your control he will more than likely end up dead. Good Luck!!

Work with him in an enclosed/fenced area. Have a fist full of dog food or treats in your pocket. Call him as you lower your profile(squat/kneel down so as not to be to an imposing or intimidating creature). If he has no where to run, he may realize it is a good thing to come to you. As he approaches you reach out with the treats/food in your hand, let him smell, it realizes it is there, and not that you are gonna try and grab him.

In the future it is best to start this process with them at a much younger age. Walking with them, and talking to them, getting them used to your voice, not someone else's. Sheep follow the voice of their shepard.. I had two litters of AKC Beagles in Sept 2010, 14 pups total. Down to the final four now, all others sold. We walk together daily and have for about three or four months(since 8-10 weeks old). They know my voice and and words that I use that means I want them at my feet now. Such as "HEY-HEY-HEY-HEY". Be consistent in your verbage. When they arrive at my feet, there is dogfood all over the ground. As they grow older, that command will become "CHECK IT-CHECK IT-CHECK IT" then when they get there, there will fresh scent of rabbit all around me. I walk through the brush till I jump a rabbit then call them in that manner, they usually bust the brush to get there in a crazed manner. They figure it out in a hurry.

So many dogs are wasted by the time they are four or five months old due to lack of interfacing with humans. Thrown in a kennel and fed, that is it. "Why won't they listen?" DUH.. Interaction with you is the best thing in the world for them at an early age. You will never teach them to run rabbits, they either have that in them or they don't. I never rush mine to start to young, let it happen in its own time. Some start at six-eight months, some of my better ones didn't start till 11-12 months old. Maturity is beneficial when starting a pup.

Originally Posted By: Wildwvif your dog is loose and not in your control he will more than likely end up dead. Good Luck!!

The cold hard truth right there, agreed. I use shock collars in a limited situation, ie,breaking off deer etc. Careful about using them on a young pup.

NOSE DRILLS
Parts of two litters at 8-10 weeks old. Starting to wake up their noses by sprinkling Pedigree Puppy Food on the ground. By doing this they learn to rely on their nose instead of sight. Sometimes you can spot a good one with a big nose cause he will simply refuse to give up and leave the general area of the food, he just keeps searching and smelling. Hang on to that one. BTW, I am hollering "Hey-Hey-Hey" all the time even then as they search, then I'll walk off 50 feet and do it all over again. They bust out and come running over to me even at this age.

PuppiesNov2010.jpg

NICE LOOKIN PUPS HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD BEAGLES...

we always push our pups down and said down firmly...if you were close and they were on a track and you yelled down..they new to lay down....

you remember little man..i judged him a few times..think he was a VA. hound...won 50 dollars off roger his owner...

sure miss runin hounds had some country road hounds from woodbridge VA. also...

you trial your dogs any? or just hunt them...?

Thanks, I knew of Little Man, Country Roads Banker. I've had Beagles since I was growing up in Missouri in the 60's. Now I am closing in on the 60's again come July this year.

I used to trial extensively and spent most of my time up in New England, PA, NY, CT, RI, NH etc. The judges down in this area liked a slower dog than I ran, so I had to travel to finish a hound. Most of my Line goes back to Bucks Branch Kalagha/Les Blondino or Eaton Brook out of PA/NY. Got to spending to much time on the road. Just run em for the fun of it now for myself.

The wife and one we finished.
FCEatonBrookKalaghasRose.jpg

same here ran pa... ALL OF IT...ETOWN..oil city ...rainbow...judged a lot of trials...when little harvey was running....in NY....corning was about as far as i went...

had alot of fun runnin them...got to watch some nice hounds....ran 2 PA....state gundog champs...1 finished one didnt....

did you ever run down at sistersville WV....there were some good guys down there....i realized i had lyme disease about the time morgantown BC...started slowing the hounds down...way to far...
mine ran some rabbit also....as long as the checks were not 40 yards..lol...

all the guys from rainbow BC..had some good hounds..hepler...gary defoore....etc...

same here i just liked hearing the music.....lol...

Etown, Jacobus, Susquehanna, Tunkhannock, Shamkokin, Northern Lancaster, Lebanon Cty(on occassion), Western Branch, Lycoming, Cayuga Lake up in NY, Southern Prince George down in MD, alot of them that I don't remember the names of.

A Kalagha line bred pup.
BabyJane2.jpg

Les Blondino and FC Bucks Branch Englebert, I owned his littermate, and she finished as a FC as well.
Englebert.jpg

Nice pictures guys, makes me want another beagle. Originally Posted By: WildwvIf you are going to run hounds I would be getting a shock collar,if your dog is loose and not in your control he will more than likely end up dead. Good Luck!! This quote is the truth. I had a beagle pup that was killed by coyotes. He was normally loose outside most of the day, but at night he either went on his chain or i'd let him sleep with me.

Well I was gone for about a month, called home to make sure everything was ok and told my little brother he better of been letting chubs run during the day and tieing him back up at night. I found out my little brother didn't listen and one night while Chubs was loose my german sheppard broke his collar. They ran off hunting together, which they liked because the beagle had the nose and the German Sheppard had the muscle.

Chubs never did make it back home. The german sheppard did, he was limping, missing hair, and had the scars across his nose from what I think was perfect for a set of coyote fangs. Later on after searching all over for my dog when I came back home I noticed something else that made me sure it was coyotes.

Normally when the coyotes starting howling around the house the german sheppard was always comming to the end of his chain trying to break it or his collar. Not after the incident, he would be curled up in the very back of his dog house not making a sound, and shaking.

Etown, Jacobus, Susquehanna, Tunkhannock, Shamkokin, Northern Lancaster, Lebanon Cty(on occassion), Western Branch, Lycoming, Cayuga Lake up in NY, Southern Prince George down in MD, alot of them that I don't remember the names of.

lol.. talk about forgeting..i ran all but the MD...club...caught my lyme disease at etown...

was at Susquehanna only 2 times jim whetzel was judging both times if it wasnt out of iron mike he didnt look at it...
got to be the same down northern wv....till charlie martz brought in some big run hound...it could push a rabbit...
think it was indian hills major bred....

my buddy bill lives in VA...i think he brought the first Kalagha bred hound to our area....

lol.. i talked to les about 22 years ago on the phone..the dogs i had not far out of banker could run a rabbit up red dog roads and once up a slate dump...and turned the double and brought it right back down...

i wanted alot of foot so i bought a branko white blizzard male...bred it to my banker beetches...got all of the foot i needed and way more...

i gave blizzard...its 3rd win at sharpsville...

the dog was rough on cottontail..but it was a hot day and he did it right...

Never in the world thought id give up beagleing..but the lyme had me bedfast for 3 years..and..i was given 6 months in 1996... i gave them to a friend i knew would keep and hunt them...i think he crossed them into the Kalagha line also sounds familiar i talked to him a few weeks ago...
thems some good lookin hounds you got there...brings back alot of good memories...thanks for posting...

as far s the topic OP..like i said weve always taught them to down..if you got close they would lay down...and from a distance they would still come....but 10 months may be a little old to try to train it for that...

Get u a 50 ft roll of rope and tie to his collar and let him out in the yard with u. As he tries to wonder off call for him and if he doesnt listen tug on the rope until he comes. When u get him to come to u reward him wirh treats and let him venture off again repeating this over and over. This trains the dog to listen to commands. Too many people burn pups up on shocking collars and ruin them. There pups. Its alright to use the tone button and occassionally tweak them on one or two but ive seen too many guys shock pups too high when they shouldnt and it causes them to quit hunting and shy up. Be patient with him but definitely dont let him keep running off. I want a dog that hunts close and checks in from time to time not one im trying to locate 10 miles down the road lol. Good luck with the pup. Ive got 5 beagles myself and love them. Whats ur pup out of?

heres a pic of one of my best pups.. out of fc barcus ohio river tuck.. my pup is the white one. the bluetick on the rt is a littermate ... we jumped 48 rabbits that day and killed 20 in ashland,ohio. we hunted from 7am -330pm.. best day rabbit hunting ive ever had...

spud.jpg

this other little guy is a 8 week old male pup i picked up in feb for my oldest son. lol he's directly out of ifc greenbay shooter... my son loves taking him with us running.. lol neither one of the can keep up and neither one of them will shut up, two peas in a pod.. ones always talking and the others always barking.. they have a good time though and if it keeps my son in the outdoors with me, he can have as many as he wants.. this is going to be my field trial prospect in a year or so so i have high hopes for this guy...

scooter.jpg

Pruson id rather fool with the young pups and watch them start then fool with the older dogs sometimes lol. Its fun to watch the lights come on when those pups get there first big wiff of rabbit track lol. Always puts a smile on my face .

I know exactly what you're talking about, I truly enjoy messing with the pups all the way from birth up to that first "He's got it"

Puts a smile on my face, just thinking about it.

how about pups that look and run just like there grandparents etc...over 30 years of breeding id had some look and run just like hounds i raised back 8 or 10 years prior...thats somethin to see...made it all worth it...

Around here,rabbits will come out of the brush and into yards just before dark.I like to carry the dog and make him face the way the rabbit is.When the rabbit spooks and runs off,the dog will see the white of it's tail flash.That's when I drop him and let him chase it.It will run into the brush and weeds,so the dog is forced to sniff around.This gets him excited and eager to enter the thick cover.Trained this way,they usually end up being good at working the cover and finding their own rabbits.

did the same...then put him with 1 older dog...then soloed him...

did a lot of night running also less racing and more use of the nose....

jb, you're on to a good system right there. With one of our FC, when he was a pup just after he had started, I would have the wife hold him back on a leash, allowing him to see the rabbit. I would walk to the rabbit and force it to run into cover. I would point to the ground and yell "check it", as she released him and he would haul butt to where it had been, grab the scent and go.

Solo work is the best medicine for a young dog. You see so many hounds in a trial who are not independent at all, and rely on other hounds to save them. A hound who has been solo'd enough will rely on himself first, yet honor other hounds.

Back