Unions

Quote:"It wouldn't be a budget problem if the state was "matching" 6% like a normal employer instead of paying 90-100%"

Ok what you are saying is the teachers should pay into their own penisions?

Ok if thats what you are stating, then they would still be paying it in with tax money. And then the state would turn around and match 6% of that with what?????? MORE TAX MONEY!!!!!!!

So your logic has no rhyme or reason. It is still all tax money you would just like to see it wrote up a different way or what????

Let's see, the state provides a pension that equals 80% of the average of the employee's last three year's pay. Lets say that average was 50k (pretty low). Assuming the employee retires at 50 and lives to 80, the state would be on the hook for 1.2 million over 30 years.

On the other hand, the state matches 6% of the employees wages in a 401k until retirement. Assuming a 25 yr career at an average of 40k, the state pays 60k over 25 years.

That example doesn't even begin to take into account the "Cadillac" medical insurance that's typically provided even after retirement.

Do you really not see the difference from a budgetary standpoint?

I have no problem with public employees getting wages and benefits in line with "civilians", my problem is when I as a taxpayer have to pay for wages and benefits that I could only drool over, and then to add insult to injury have the employee's mandatory dues spent to advance people and policies I vehemently disagree with.

Quote:people are quick to spit things out without using their brains!!!!!!!

Apparently.

I truly wish unions would clean up their own and get back to a mentality of supporting excellence. Trade unions used to be a place where someone could enter the work force and learn a trade through apprenticeships, wouldn’t it be a wonderful thing if corporations sought out union labor because they do a better job and are worth paying a higher wage. But in today’s world that just doesn't happen because of the path the unions have taken.
Excellence vs. protectionism? If it was your company who would you hire?

drscott

Originally Posted By: conservative1911Why that looks like Barney "I talk like I have something in my mouth" Frank Rep MA (D). And maybe there's an intern under the desk. Sorry, forgive me people.
I forgive ya. I got a good laugh, thanks.

Originally Posted By: drscottI truly wish unions would clean up their own and get back to a mentality of supporting excellence. Trade unions used to be a place where someone could enter the work force and learn a trade through apprenticeships, wouldn’t it be a wonderful thing if corporations sought out union labor because they do a better job and are worth paying a higher wage. But in today’s world that just doesn't happen because of the path the unions have taken.
Excellence vs. protectionism? If it was your company who would you hire?

drscott
There still are Trade Unions that support excellence; Millwrights,Carpenters and Electricians to name a few.
I see where companies hire non union, non trained `craftsmen` and recieve shoddy work..and I really don`t think they save any money.
Now, DIFFERENT from the Construction Trades as mentioned above, we could talk about Excellence vs.protectionism when it comes down to Factory Workers.I used to have a Union job at a large factory and witnessed what you call protectionism and it was truly disgusting. Take about any department and you would have about 3/4 who would bust out an honest days work and 1/4 who were worthless, but nothing was ever done because of the `hassle` of getting them terminated. That company no longer has manufacturing operations (that I`m aware of) here in the USA, as they opened facilities in Mexico,China, and Brazil. Pitifull but cant say I blame them. While employed for this company and a union member by my own choice I didn`t care for the way they endorsed politicians solely on wether or not they were a supporter of organized labor.
Now different again are Public jobs and Unions....

IT'S THE 100% OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES WHO ARE REQUIRED TO PAY UNION DUES IN THE 28 STATES THAT ARE NOT "RIGHT TO WORK" STATES.

You keep SPEWING this!! Did they not know when they applied for the job that it was a Union job???????
I'm sure they were explained that to get this job you have to be in a Union. And as to belong to this Union you will have X amount of your pay taken out for UNion Dues???

So where do you get that they are forced to pay DUES???

Also if the UNION is such a bad deal tell them to go to the PRIVATE SECTOR that you SO rave about as being better!!!!!

Maybe it's the same things as wanting to live in a state, but not pay taxes to them. Then get free fire department, police, ambulance, etc...

Originally Posted By: Stumper4268IT'S THE 100% OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES WHO ARE REQUIRED TO PAY UNION DUES IN THE 28 STATES THAT ARE NOT "RIGHT TO WORK" STATES.

You keep SPEWING this!! Did they not know when they applied for the job that it was a Union job???????
I'm sure they were explained that to get this job you have to be in a Union. And as to belong to this Union you will have X amount of your pay taken out for UNion Dues???

So where do you get that they are forced to pay DUES???

Also if the UNION is such a bad deal tell them to go to the PRIVATE SECTOR that you SO rave about as being better!!!!!

READ, stumper.

Originally Posted By: NM LeonThat's what the current debate in WI (and other states) is about. It IS legal for unions to spend general dues for political purposes if they aren't giving money directly to a candidate. The question is whether it should be legal to force people to pay union dues as a condition of employment.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiMaybe it's the same things as wanting to live in a state, but not pay taxes to them. Then get free fire department, police, ambulance, etc...

READ, Cj.

Originally Posted By: NM LeonNon union members DON'T usually "rake in the benefits". They (usually) have the same base salary, but that's it. They don't get the pension, the retirement medical, legal services etc. When layoffs happen they are often the first to go, because their bosses don't want the hassle from the union.

Do you consider it right that in some states 100% of public employees are forced to pay union dues as a condition of employment?

Do you consider it right that the union then uses those mandatory dues to support political causes the employee opposes?

Do you consider it right that the unions use general dues to lobby for policies the member disagrees with? For instance the NEA pushing for homosexual education and explicit sex, not only in our schools, but a worldwide UN program? How many teachers do you know who agree with that? Doesn't matter, their union dues are being spent to implement the policy regardless.

In any case I guess we'll find out pretty quick just how many of those 100% of union workers in WI really wanted to pay union dues, won't we.

Originally Posted By: NM Leon
In any case I guess we'll find out pretty quick just how many of those 100% of union workers in WI really wanted to pay union dues, won't we.

I won't argue with that, however if the people in a state had the option to pay or not pay (substitute taxes for union dues) yet still receive all the benefits, do you think they would pay?

If public sector unions are as terrible as some believe, why didn't the Governor include all public sector unions? Why just the Teachers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki why didn't the Governor include all public sector unions? Why just the Teachers?

He knows his enemy, the teachers are highly educated and have better organization than the rest of the state employees.

Quote:Universal education is the most corroding and disintegrating poison that liberalism has ever invented for its own destruction.
Adolf Hitler

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/adolf_hitler_3.html#ixzz1GFgXzafT

Originally Posted By: crashnrondoIt's not just the teachers, only police and fire were left out of this round.

Ok, I stand corrected.

Was it from the book Animal Farm? Some pigs are more equal than others? No pun intended. I thought the Firemen and Law enforcement's unions negotiated pretty nice pensions and benefits for them too?

Back