CZ 527 rings?

coolhand

Hey Guys, got a new CZ 527 Varmint .223 on the way. I wanted to use the Leupold rings and was wondering if mid-height will work with the bolt issue. The scope that is going on it will be a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40. Thanks

Not sure about the Leupolds but I have a set of Burris Mediums on my 527 Varmint and they fit a 6X18 Burris scope nicely.

I have a 4200 mounted on one of my CZ's, and I can tell you for possitave that Warne Med's will NOT work without modifying the bolt handle.
Midway has drawings somewhere on their site (or at least they used to) that show actual demensions of the rings they sell. If you can find it, compare the Warn Med dimentions to Leupolds and that will answer your question..
Best thing to do is modify the bolt handle and be done with it. Even if ya have to do the exchange thing with Calhoon it's worth it to get away from those stupid hi rings. The higher the rings,,, the more elevation adjustment is required when dialing distance if you're a clicker like me..
Luck

Last edited:
I am using the Leupold medium rings on two 527s, they work fine with a Leupold scope or a new Redfield. They will not clear the Butler Creek flip open caps though. I don' know how the ocular bell on your 4200 would compare to the Leupold but it gives you somewhere to start.

Originally Posted By: coolhandThanks guys, I'll probably get the bolt modified so I can use normal rings...

Good call.
Here's the dfference using Warns.
Just one example, but a no-brainer IMO..

Picture060.jpg

noname038.jpg

I just put a set of medium Leupold rings on my new CZ 527 with a Bushnell 3200 4-12. No problem with bolt clearance. Before I bought the CZ I had looked at possibly doing the Calhoon bolt adjustment. Didn't need to.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.My American came with CZ rings.I have 1/8" bolt clearance with Leupolds VXI 2-7 and BC flip-ups.Perfecto!

Yes,,, the American's do come with rings. And good ones at that.
I just don't care for the form or function of high rings and they're definatly "HIGH".

Lots of ways to skin this cat,,, just depends on what ya like/need..

I loves my CZ's but for the life of me I can't figure out why CZ doesn't redesign that dammm bolt handle. I mean,, they listened to the consumer and redesigned the magazine (on the M1 model). Can't see where changing the tooling for the magazine's any harder than it would be for the bolt handle???
Lord knows they've certainly raised the prices enough in the last few years to cover the cost of this simple fix..

OK,,, enough whinning for now..
Sorry
blushing.gif

I have a 527 .204 Varmint in H&S Precision Kevlar stock which came with CZ rings and works great, with my Weaver T-36. There is around 3/16 to a 1/4" clearance between scope and barrel.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: coolhandDoes the angle of the bolt change when it is modified? I can't tell from the pics if they just grind it down, or bend it.

As far as I can tell, he just grinds and reblues it.
Best thing to do is simply pick up the telephone and call him.
I don't know about you, but I don't believe very much I read on the internet anyway. (Not even the stuff I say LOL.)

Edit,,,,,,,,,, FWIW, I just checked Calhoons site, and there is indeed a picture of the mod, but it's hard to say for sure if he bends it or not. Either way, it's a big improvement IMO.
Luck

Last edited:
I did the Calhoon thing. It is indeed bent, not ground, and does seem to improve the ergonomics (angle) to a little more vertical. About 10 days (exchange.)
FWIW: www.customreloadingtools.com is considering producing a replacement bolt handle; also a Weaver-style base conversion. A recent thread over on 204ruger.com forums.

Back