Baiting

Originally Posted By: harryheadshotScalloper those are some good looking dogs. good job Goblergetter those greys are also beautiful, nice work.
Thanks I am getting two full lenth coyote hats made,one for a freind in NH,I am putting mine on the sissy bar of my bike,1800 VTX,that should look cool sailing in the breeze???
thumbup.gif

the cool part is that, with that free meal, he'll be back and a little less wary. i have 5 sensors on the bait the cwa2000 and the rw300 and recievers in the living room and in next to the bed.i haven't seen one since the one i got in december so i'm starting to get withdrawl symptoms.you can't take time off to go ice fishing what were you thinking? good luck
don

I only bait. I wish I could call but I have good luck sitting on bait. I have a pretty unique set up. I mounted two 500 watt halogens to a tree, with bait about 50 yards away. I sit in my tree stand above the light and they can not see me. I post a few pics and a video. Works well for me.

album.html

Night Hunting over bait

Originally Posted By: RonManciI only bait. I wish I could call but I have good luck sitting on bait. I have a pretty unique set up. I mounted two 500 watt halogens to a tree, with bait about 50 yards away. I sit in my tree stand above the light and they can not see me. I post a few pics and a video. Works well for me.

album.html

Night Hunting over bait

Nice set up. In this area calling is tough,most who hunt over bait around here have far better luck.

Ronmanci,
are the lights at the bottom of the tree your sitting in? Do you keep them on the entire time ur in the stand? I said b4 i dont have the option to use an alert system. I could use a light though. I often thought about hanging a dim led above the bait . Maybe 6-10 ft high above the bait. With it being dim it may not bother them and it last forever. I wonder if it would give me enough light to see something?

Kenawell1, Why can't you use a sensor? A dim light will work sometimes but it almost always takes them at least a few weeks to get used to it before they will come all the way in to the bait.

i was gonna buy the sensors on like the 4th or 5th page...but a buddy reminded me we are not allowed to use electronics to locate game here in PA. ive hung a red led...above a decoy at night and had predators come into it....

try making dirt hole sets without the trap around the edges of fields...make the dirt look dug up coyotes will come..

put some can tuna cat food in the hole sprayy the surrounding ground lightly with coyote urine....theyll come in after dark.....use a rubber floor mat while making your hole...to put your tools and knees on...

then hunt them over a full moon...

Originally Posted By: donlynchthe cool part is that, with that free meal, he'll be back and a little less wary. i have 5 sensors on the bait the cwa2000 and the rw300 and recievers in the living room and in next to the bed.i haven't seen one since the one i got in december so i'm starting to get withdrawl symptoms.you can't take time off to go ice fishing what were you thinking? good luck
don
I am surprised the coyote has not been back after the free meal 7 days ago.

Originally Posted By: Kenawell1Ronmanci,
are the lights at the bottom of the tree your sitting in? Do you keep them on the entire time ur in the stand? I said b4 i dont have the option to use an alert system. I could use a light though. I often thought about hanging a dim led above the bait . Maybe 6-10 ft high above the bait. With it being dim it may not bother them and it last forever. I wonder if it would give me enough light to see something?

The light are right under my stand, just below my feet. I keep them on every night during coyote season so they get used to them. Now they ignore them completely. They also blind them so they cant see me in the tree.

I use a baby monitor cam. You would be amazed on the range. I have it mounted about 200 feet from my bedroom watching a little bait pile. I use an old 13 inch tv to keep an eye out at night. They have sound and pretty good night vision too.

Scalloper, boy ain't that the way of the coyote? the same thing has happened to me. there's so many things that happen in their world, it may have come upon an easy winter tired deer or some other available meal. in the last 3 days a friend of mine has found 2 deer that they have killed. conditions are bad for our deer right now. maybe tonight.
don

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: happyyoteri was gonna buy the sensors on like the 4th or 5th page...but a buddy reminded me we are not allowed to use electronics to locate game here in PA. ive hung a red led...above a decoy at night and had predators come into it....

try making dirt hole sets without the trap around the edges of fields...make the dirt look dug up coyotes will come..

put some can tuna cat food in the hole sprayy the surrounding ground lightly with coyote urine....theyll come in after dark.....use a rubber floor mat while making your hole...to put your tools and knees on...

then hunt them over a full moon...

I have used trip wires before I started using the motion sensors. When you feel something bump the string or wire, light 'em up. If you are using smaller pieces of bait that they can pick up and take with them, you can tie the trip wire right to the bait.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: donlynchthe cool part is that, with that free meal, he'll be back and a little less wary. i have 5 sensors on the bait the cwa2000 and the rw300 and recievers in the living room and in next to the bed.i haven't seen one since the one i got in december so i'm starting to get withdrawl symptoms.you can't take time off to go ice fishing what were you thinking? good luck
don
I am surprised the coyote has not been back after the free meal 7 days ago.

This late in the winter, if you guys still have deep snow they may be hanging out where the deer are yarded up. Easy meals for them there.

Remember the coyote in the photos I posted earlier? He was coming to the bait every night about the same time, for almost two weeks every night. Then suddenly he quit coming. Haven't got a photo of him for quite some time now. Maybe he is chasing females.

jackindistress, yes we still have deep snow and they are in the deer yards bigtime here. who wants old frozzen beaver when you can have fresh venison grrrr.
don

Originally Posted By: donlynchScalloper, boy ain't that the way of the coyote? the same thing has happened to me. there's so many things that happen in their world, it may have come upon an easy winter tired deer or some other available meal. in the last 3 days a friend of mine has found 2 deer that they have killed. conditions are bad for our deer right now. maybe tonight.
don

I just started a thread on the same thing:

http://www.predatorcallercentral.com/for...-whitetail.html

So right you are!!! After several of my honey holes are called out, I do quite well on baits. I would like to here more from fellow baiters.

I noticed that the feeding times at my baits change with the moon,conditions, and hunting pressure. During a full moon I will sit down wind from the bait with my shotgun. On the moonlit snow, no lights are needed. During overcast or moonless nights the more dominate dogs will be on the bait at pre-dawn and after the sun sets, while the less dominates dogs may vist the bait all day long. The dominate dogs seem to allow the sub-dominate dogs to feed after they have had their fill. This is using full grown cows for bait (aquired from a feed lot).

Heard from a front line reliable source that a couple of Pennsylvania guys are putting together a predator hunting video filmed over bait stations. The video will be marketed as a calling video. Stay tuned...

Back