Coyotes in THICK pine plantation

fishhunt3

In Northern WI, there are coyotes that live and hunt in some pine plantations. You can't even walk through these things, mixed with some small trees but the pines pretty much overlap. There are just a couple logging roads cut through them. They are probably 1/2 mile by 1 mile sections with maybe 2 or 3 roads and one road all the way around. I hear them howl in those areas and see their tracks there.

In the early morning, I make sure they are in those by listening to them howl before I decide which plantation to hunt. If I howl to get them to respond, I wait a couple hours before going in.
I have tried three times the last two winters to call them onto those roads. Set the caller 100 yards or better crosswind/upwind on the trail with a rabbit decoy. No showers.

Is this the strategy you would try, or try to call them across the main roads into normal wooded areas?

Frustrating when you KNOW they are there, sneak in, and they just won't committ. But there are lots of grouse and rabbits and deer in these plantations - maybe they are not hungry. I may try it this weekend with some howls.

Once I tried this in moonlight and twice during the early-mid morning.
Any other thoughts?

Anyone hunt these areas?

Thanks.

Maybe try some coyote vocals to get them aggressive or looking for a hot female in the area.

If your call is in the middle of the road they may be on the edge of the road and see it and the decoy but get spooked and you don't even know their there. Try putting in the next section so they have to cross the road but they may just haul butt across not offering a shot. Tough hunting in the thick stuff.

Just my .02.

call anywhere close by where you can have it so the wind doesn't blow into that plantation. Have it so the wind blows just past it into a open field. Set up and watch that direction. Shoot before the coyote gets to that spot. I will never call a spot if my wind ever hits any bush. No easy for coyotes to sneek up and smell you before you see them.

Back