60gr V-MAX Performance

hogwhacker

Can you guys that have killed them with the 60 V-MAX tell me about the performance? (in a .223)

How often do you get blown up hides vs the bullet doing all it's damage inside, without exiting?

I just built a load with 25.5 Varget with 60 V-MAX, and haven't killed anything with it.

That is my pet load. It flat anchors coyotes. Like any bullet, it'll tear up fur if you splash a shoulder or hit a backbone, otherwise it knocks them flat and jelifies their lungs.

Tony

I've use 58 grain v-max in the .243. Never had a problem with them. Not a pass through but i've never hit the shoulder yet. Yes it jellifies the insides. Cut a few open after sklinning to see what it does.

Here's a link to an article on fur loads I wrote for the Long Range Hunting website. My personal experience was with a moderate .22-250 load but the bullet doesn't know what case it was fired from once it leaaves the muzzle--only the velocity it's traveling.
smile.gif
The reason I used a moderate load is because the bulllet was recommended for a .223. It lines up with Tony's experience as well. It would be my choice at .223 velocities.

Fur Loads Article

I use a 75gr V-Max in my .257AI and I agree with Tony on both that it anchors them and jellifies. It will cause some serious pelt damage when it slams a shoulder, but the key point is having the opportunity to ground check them and then worry about pelt damage later. Good luck>>>

I shoot this bullet with a max load of Ramshot TAC for 2950...

Out of my 18" 1:7" AR, it is the best predator hunting bullet I've used to date...

A face on or a behind the shoulder very rarely exit. Coyotes just melt.

Just wondering what a coyote hide is bringing now. Last time I sold some was 1985. N. Nevada yotes could bring as much as $55, Low dessert yotes were in the $30-35 range.

I shoot the Black Hills with hornady 60 grain v-max in my Dtech.

I have killed a bunch of deer, hogs coyotes and bobcats with this bullet and been very pleased with it.

I have also shot fox and coons with it as well. The fox tend to tear up a little with it, coons not so much.

The majority of coyotes and bobcats do not exit. Strangely enough, I have had a few exits on hogs and deer when shot behind the shoulder. The 3 deer I shot behind the shoulder didn't make it past 15 yards. The ones shot in the neck didn't make it out of their tracks.

In my humble opinion a 60 VMAX is the best choice in a .223 for coyotes. It will anchor them better than any other bullet I've used in a .223 and they shoot exeptionally well out of the 1:9 and 1:8 AR barrels I've used them in. As mentioned ewarlier you will get the occasional nasty exit on marginal hits but very seldom get an exit on a good center mass hit.

I would completely agree with Tony and Troy, its by far my favorite load. It puts them down, and when you do your part on the shot, there is just a tiny entrance with no exit.

Originally Posted By: BearWill they stabilize out of a 223 with a 1/14 twist?

That is kinda slow but it "could" work. Me personally with a 1:14 I'd try 40 maybe 50g vmaxes.

You would be better off with a 1:12, 1:9 for the 60s

Back