Remington 700 SPS 22-250

Ogoki

I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS heavy barrel in a 22-250. I am middle aged and still very active but is it just me or is this rifle extra heavy ?? I put a Nikon Monarch 4 x 16 power scope on it along with a Harris Bi-pod and sling . I am use to carrying a TC Encore while deer hunting so I guess I am going from one extreme to the other ??? Carry this 700 along a muudy field 3/4 of a mile and you get a workout . Might be trading this one in . Any suggestions ? Planned to keep this gun for my old age predator hunting but am having a rethink here. Picked up a friends Savage Predator , wow what a difference . Thanks !!!

Last edited:
I can relate. I got a Tikka T-3 in 223 and its a thin barrel only 20 inchs long. Light as a feather (almost). Its lighter than my R-15 and will shoot as good or better when I get the load work done.

Suggestions: Tikka, model 7, Sav. Pred.,Stevens 200. All good shooters and light weight carry rifles.

You just need to get rid of that heavy barrel.. Trade that monster off for a SPS or a CDL with a sporter weight barrel, or find yourself a Model 7.

The SPSV is a varmint rifle. Best suited to varminting and target shooting.

For predator hunting, they are a hand full.....

Originally Posted By: coyote6974 or find yourself a Model 7.

+1

I have the VLS in .243 and it's quite the tank. It's definitely not a carry rifle and I'm looking at getting one of the new synthetic model 7's. I would also consider the Predator but they discontinued those so they might be harder to come by.

John

700 ADL 243 with 21.5" barrel. Talley LW rings, Burris FFII.

7 lbs. as pictured:

SAM_0229.jpg

Are you a hunter or a sniper? That's what makes the difference. I'll walk a half mile at most carrying mine, find a place to setup and wait. I'm a sniper, plain and simple.

If you want to walk 10 miles carrying a rifle you want something lighter.

A ststevens 200 is a great calling rifle. Light accurate and cheap...only about 320. You can just send me your sps and ill gladly take it off your hands. Lol, anyway you would be very happy with a stevens or a sps skinny barrel. They both shoot great

I have that rifle in stainless (same cal.) And yes, it is fairly heavy, but I've seen worse. I'd never carry it with a bi-pod mounted, though. I've considered having the barrel shortened a couple inches; or maybe having it fluted, but for what that costs and the risk of harming the accuracy, might as well just buy an aftermarket barrel with a little smaller dia.

Originally Posted By: sage ratthats why i pack a savage

Because a Savage heavy barrel is lighter than a Remington heavy barrel??

I had the same issue a few months back, with my Rem 700 VS in 22-250.

I did a little research & ended up buying a Barrel Vise & Action Wrench, from a member here.

Along with a 24" sporter take off barrel & stock from a different member here.

It took me all of 5 minutes to rebarrel my 22-250, Its a featherweight now & a joy to pack while hunting yotes.

I can swap barrels & stocks & go shoot ground squirrels in just a few minutes.

I just need to re sight in after I swap barrels, POI is not that much different between the 2 barrels, but there is a slight difference.

Lee

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun
700 ADL 243 with 21.5" barrel. Talley LW rings, Burris FFII.

7 lbs. as pictured:

SAM_0229.jpg

Wow, that is pretty light.

I'm no sniper, I try to call them in under 100 yards. Usually I can get to my stands with less than 1 miles walk each way.

300 yards is a long poke for me.

My 700 SPS 22-250 is heavy. I also have a bipod on it. If I am going to cover a lot of distance by foot, I carry my Rem 660 .243.....if I am quading to my locations, I will bring my 700. Lots of guys carry a rifle and shotgun. Now that has to get heavy.

DSCN1868.jpg

Last edited:
My 700 SPS-V is a little heavier considering I replaced the junk stock that it came with. I gotta say the weight hasnt ever bothered me and I hate slings, but you have to consider I am still young.
grin.gif

Back