How many loners are out there?

mikegranger

A post got me to thinking. How many of us coyote hunters are loners? I personally tend to hunt alone. I get more coyotes when I don't have to worry about someone else. Seems like everytime I take someone along they do something "stupid" like miss a coyote :mad
frown.gif
I have a much easier time forgiving myself when I miss) or move at the worst times. Now that my 13 year old son wants to go coyote hunting I will change but it probably will be hard. Am I the only one like this?

I generally have better luck by myself but it takes a good hunting partner to make it enjoyable to take him with ya.

I have taken out friends that would rather kill another beer than a critter.

These type of guys I try to never take. The amount of money I have invested in this sport isnt about to be jeopordized by some loon who cant keep still or even quite.

But im with ya, theres somethin about huntin by yourself that adds to the success...

I hunt alone because I have never found a partner who would take this type hunting serious enough.It takes a lot of time and patience to bag these critters so I wont wast my time with someone who doesn't have the dedication.Years ago drinkin beer and chasin coons was lots of fun,but callin preditors is a whole different game. KYOTIKID

------------------
US PREDATOR REGULATORS
IOWA CHAPTER

I hunt alone most of the time simply due to 1) haven't found a close partner out here that takes it as seriously as I do and 2) Sometimes I just need to be out there alone with nature.

I hunt alone 95% of the time, probqably more.
In 20 plus years of coyote hunting I have had 3 partners that I hunt with. So I guess you could say I'm a bit of a loner. Like Mike. My oldest boy is now 10 and he goes with me on a regular basis. I am choosey about who I hunt with. Safety, common sense and ethics are of the utmost importance.

I'll have to agree with everyone else. I hunt alone most of the time because I haven't found a partner yet. There just doesn't seem to be any one interested in predator calling out here. Or anyone close by anyway.

Ronnie

Man , i know what you guys are talking about . I have met three guys that i enjoy calling with , all are great shots , know what they are doing , and dont cost me coyotes . I have a bagillion guy ask me to take them along , I just say yeah some day . But ya know some times when i call alone, I have cost myself coyotes due to the fact that you cant be looking everywhere at the same time. The few guys i do enjoy calling with are a BIG asset in the field . But still as for all callers i think , there are some days you just have to call by yourself. ,

So far - I prefer to hunt alone. However, I do enjoy taking my girls and wife w/ me on occasion.

That said, I've hooked up with 2 guys from the board that will be partners at least once. Can't garauntee they will EVER want to have me along again, but I will be on my best manners. I think you can judge alot about a person when you read their writing. One more reason this board is such a great place.

steve

Believe it or not..I'm bit of a loner myself..except not for the lack of want...it's just I have this real problem with body odor mixed with a case of tourettes syndrome....so not only do I reek, I sound awful too.

------------------
Yer Pal,
Bob
CoyoteUgly@sbcglobal.net

Well I'm not alone in this category. I hunt alone probably 95% of the time. Did that come out right? Not that I wouldn't mind a partner if I could find the right one.

------------------
Vote Freedom First

Good partners are very hard to find. Not many are serious enough. However if a good partner is available, I prefer hunting as a team. Two can cover a setup much better than one.

Pretty much like everyone else, hunt alone. Most of the guys who want to go just don't seem to be that deticated.
Hopefully at this upcoming hunt, I will have met the first true coyote hunter in this sport.

WOW Great topic!!

I normally hunt with one of two other guys. Sometimes, both at once. Depends on circumstances. I like the extra set(s) of eyes and between all of us we have about any variety of calls ever needed. Also more land access. We have a pretty good team.
I AM very particular on who I hunt with, and am very cautious at taking someone that wants to "try it once"
Normally I treat coyote hunting like I do bowhunting. If they hunt the way I hunt, I will continue. One slip up, we might be limited to squirrel hunting together.
Oh yeah to go along with the variety of calls, amount of land, I will also add the two guys are WAY better shots than I am.

------------------
Nothing worse than a coyote freindly gun!!!

BIG JERK! You have what??????

We are going to be riding together this coming weekend and I dont know if I will care to drive all day with the windows rolled down.
I could put a lounge chair in the back
tongue.gif

As for hunting with a partner its a tough call.
Most guys I know dont fit in well with my style of hunting.
An example, I hunted off and on with a guy and even hunted the Antelope eaters contest with him a couple of times.
This last year I went with another fellow and won the contest.
After the contest he asked me how come I never took him to any of my "secret spots"
I had a few beers under my belt and replied ,,well how the hell could I when you were always telling me where to sit!
What a guy.

There are a few others that I have been with such as my pard from this last hunt and Critr for example that definetly do nothing but help your odds.

They can shoot , they understand the game, they see things that you dont.

It also gives you a few more options when things get tough.
Splitting up and both watching different areas is one way.
back to back in thick brush is another.

Helping you pack back the double that you dropped is also welcome
smile.gif

Well, I'm not so sure whether or not I'm a loner yet since I'm so new to the sport, but I have already found two guys I will never hunt with again. I've been reading a lot of your posts, asking different people who hunt coyotes questions, read every article I can get my hands on about coyote hunting and have bought a few books on the subject so I am taking this very serious about learning this sport.
Anyway I went with one guy last year who claimed to be covered up with coyotes on his farm and asked if I would come out and try to kill a few. I jumped at the opportunity!
He then asked to go along, so I agreed since it is his farm. I found what appeared to be a good setup where he had seen coyotes, hunkered down beside some fallen trees with the wind to my face and then notice he was just standing up. He had no camo on and was skylining himself. I asked him to sit with me and help me watch before I started calling. He refused saying that he could see better standing, so I began calling and noticed that he was turning around, jerking his head this way and that and kept coughing every thirty seconds. I called for about ten minutes and realized I was wasting my time with him standing out like a diamond shining in a goats butt. I left and he has since called me several times to give it another go, but I always refuse.
I then took a deer hunting buddy with me. I thought he would be good since he is quite an accomplished deer hunter. NOT! He obviously wasn't taking it nearly as serious as I was do to the fact that he kept farting and giggling evertime he did so. Fifteen minutes later I said to heck with it and we left. I may not be a full fledged loner yet, but I have decided that as soon as deer season winds down here that I will be out there by myself trying to get my first coyote. I'll probably make a bunch of rookie mistakes as I already have, but at least I'll only have myself to blame and it won't be due to someone elses lack of enthusiasm for the sport ruining it for me.

------------------
When one brave man stands up, the spines of others begin to stiffen.

I must say,,It just doesnt matter to me. Alone, newbies, veterans, kids and women.
However, I choose the area that I/we hunt in accordingly. Back in the day of 75 dollar coyote pelts, It was different. Now I try to encourage hunting and shooting to everyone I can.
Heck, when you go with me, you can smoke, drink, roll down the window, fart, burp, laugh, giggle, swear, cry, and even complain about my driving or choice of tunes. =)

I guess the majority of the time I call alone. A couple years ago I may have said I did not care to have a partner along. Since then I have called with few guys that are welcome on my stand anytime. Seems like there is no middle of the road with calling partners. They either are serious and click right along with ya or they are doing aerobics on stand. A couple years ago I took this one feller calling. Every time we walked to a stand he would turn into "chatty Cathy" on the way. Conversing loudly. I finally said "Dude we kind of need to whisper or be quiet while walking to the stands". I think I hurt his feelings. Wasn't trying to. Exchanging info is one thing but this guy was telling about Mary Jane rotten crotch in High School, his dogs bladder surgery, yada, yada, yada....

Anywho, there are a few that are the next best thing to calling alone. Like Jerry said people ask to go a lot but I usually say "sounds good" and let it drop unless I know they take it serious.

I hunt alone practically all the time, but then I do most things alone. I have a very few partners who I pack and camp with in the summer, and fish with; but the list is short. I'll admit that I am very picky about partners. My favorite ones are my dogs.

[This message has been edited by Bob Mc (edited 11-25-2001).]

I pretty much hunt everything alone, not just coyotes. I bowhunt deer every year, and around here it's pretty much all spot and stalk, which is a lone wolf proposition. My favorite coyote hunting partner lives 4 hours away, and has different days off than I do, so I only get to hunt with him once or twice a year. My kids don't really care for coyote hunting, because there's usually not enough action for them, and that may partially be due to them not being able to sit still enough for long enough. There's a guy at work who I think would be a good guy to hunt with, but right now our schedules won't let us. And a friend of ours is a serious enough hunter, but again the schedules won't allow it. So I guess I'll just keep on hunting by myself until something changes somewhere. Besides, that way when you talk to yourself, and answer yourself, there's nobody there to look at you funny
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

If you aren't havin' fun, why bother doin' it?

Back