Official PM 2011 Spring Gobbler Picture Thread

Yeah, my wife AND I drew tags for our limited quota area. We are IN for this!!! Have already decided on 4 spots to call them from. First time turkey hunting for either of us though. Wish us luck!

I cant wait last night while going to scouts I saw a group of about 15 birds by the road atleast 2 or 3 nice toms. It just gave my the itch to get out

Last edited:
anyone hearing a gobble yet in ky? its been in the mid to high 70s here the last few days!, figure one would be gobblin'.

its like we dont see them here much then all the sudden when spring hits they are everywhere!

Enough talk. Post some pictures of your dead turkeys....
thumbup.gif

Well here is mine from last year. Season hasn't started here yet. I call it they flying dead turkey. First off the yote was shot 15-20 min before I got the tom. I just couldn't let him eat my new decoy. Shot him with his mouth wide open ready to grab and eat. Picked the yote up and heard some gobbling close so I hid the yote and started in calling again. 3 nice toms show up. Pick one out at 20 yards pull the trigger and his head slapped his back. But then he was up flying with his head hanging like a noodle so I put one more into him and he dropped. Second shot hit him where the wing goes into the body and made a softball size pattern so I looked at the neck and head thinking I maybe missed. nope stopped counting hits at 15 in the neck and head. Only thing I can think is it's like a chicken when you cut it's head off and it was just nerves making it fly.
Jun0434.jpg

Called this one in for a buddy two years ago. Pulled him in from across a river.
100_0086.jpg

Last edited:
Well my brother and I doubled on jakes yesturday after 1 hour of them in the dacoys at 12 yards. We used the double bull darkhorse and dsd decoys. They were attacking the jake and they were breeding the hen for most of the time. It was my brother first turkey and my 8th.

This is after about 30 minutes of hitting the decoys....so its knocked over

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc368/Conradvm/?action=view&current=4092011007.jpg

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc368/Conradvm/?action=view&current=4092011008.jpg

Last edited:
My wife got her first ever tom yesterday afternoon using a remington 870 20 gauge, 3 inch, copper plated # 5 shot, modified choke, at 35 yards. We used the FOXPRO FX5, and "morgadype" our cheap a##ed decoy. Took 30 minutes beginning to end. We had a friend call us and let us know he had seen a few turkeys in a certain location, so, we loaded up and went to hunt. Took 15 minutes to get him close and 20 minutes for the tom to decide he was going to kick butt from behind. That was his mistake.
turkeyjanstom01600x450.jpg

My wife(agreeably) now becomes my personal sherpa for the next one!! Sorta evening things up for being referred to as 'get the net boy' and 'ya better get busy butchering boy'.. We do have a lot of fun though... Good job Jan!!!

0409110705.jpg

Finally got my first turkey! About 7:00am, opening morning of youth season, my dad called this one, 4 hens, and another gobbler in for me!
thumbup.gif

It had a 3 1/4" beard with quarter inch spurs/nubs.

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgNice work ladies and gents. Keep 'em coming.

Happy birthday Lonnie
thumbup.gif

thank ya kindly sir!!
blushing.gif

Well, turkey season is over for my wife and I as of 6:00PM today. We thought to give it a try this afternoon, so, set off to a piece of land where we knew there were turkeys. Did two 30 minute stands with no takers, no gobbling, no nothing. Pre pared to leave and headed down a fence line toward the truck and look up and there is a tom coming out of the field where we had been calling earlier and crossing our fence line at about 250 yards. Asked the 'sherpa' if she would switch guns with me so I could give it a go on that tom. She had brought the 22-250 in case we tripped up a 'yote while calling. Three hundred yards later I caught up with that tom, plus another tom, two jakes and eight hens!! So, I positioned myself on a fence post, scoped all of them and decided on the laggard of the bunch and put him down at 80 yards. No head shot, just vitals and no injury to the breast and leg meat. He sports a 9 inch beard and was between 22 and 25 pounds.

turkeyJohns01041111.jpg

Last edited:
Colorado Merriams
Taken at 4:45 Pm today.
Most of his beard was broken off, only about 7" left. Had 7/8" spurs which is about as good as they get around here. I have only ever killed one with longer spurs. Im thinking he was a 3 yr old.
Now to get the girlfriend her first bird!!!
3-25-11013.jpg

3-25-11019.jpg

3-25-11015.jpg

Hope I will have a pic to add Monday morning sometime. Taking an 80 sum year old friend of my dads out and try to call one in for him. Alot of bird tracks from the last coulple days where we sat up the blind. Looks promissing.

Last edited:
Back