Makin It Count! Eight Dead Dogs, and A Fun Triple...

getemclose

Well the season is evaporating just as fast as the snow is up in my neck of the woods. Its almost depressing for me! Oh well Always can look forward to next year, and find more ground to kill dogs on!

I decided to go out and do a little shed hunting saturday, and then on Sunday when the winds died head out with Marty for some calling action. Saturday went well, Found some sheds and even snuck up on three bedded coyotes in a creek bed. I actually glassed them as I was looking for sheds! The predator hunter in me took over and I snuck them and pulled off a triple.. Two runners and one standing! 220 290 and 335 yds! I love the laser range finders
smile.gif
. Anyways thats not even the triple im referring to in my title! Lets get to that....

Sunday I met Marty at his place and headed out for some calling, of course we had to grab the Mcdonalds on the way. The breakfast of champions right! Ehhhh.. Ill burn it off out in the tundra
smile.gif

The morning was tough on us, we tried some sets but nothing was responding. We decided to bag it and head to a new area.

We soon spotted two cattle ranches about 2 miles apart. Marty and I both new that coyotes were going to be hopping back and forth between these two ranches. I Talked to the ol' boys at both the houses and they told me to get after it!. They had been seeing them in their cows as I could have guaranteed. We decided to target a brush draw exactly between the ranches. We set up on an oil piece of farm machinery with the foxpro on a Tree to my left. I let a howl rip and a group lit up right in the draw. I looked at marty and told him to hold on!
smile.gif
. I talked back and forth with the group for about five minutes. Soon We had three coyotes coming on a string across a huge basin.
smile.gif
. The back dog held up but the first two came strong. "My" coyote circled down wind while Martys came on a string. My coyote got in a low spot so I coudnt shoot! We stayed calm and soon I could see his nose up peaking at me. I barked, centered the hairs, and BANG BANG, FLOP FLOP. Double baby!..

We drug the coyotes back to the rig and as we were snapping pictures Marty says, MITCH! coyote right over your shoulder! We flopped on our bellys and sniped the coyote at three hundred. It was a male and I think that old female had him love sick
smile.gif
. Different kind of triple there!

These coyotes were gorgeous. I love the western pales. The third dog was one of legends! What a coat
smile.gif
. for reference im six three, and a buck ninety.. They were beefy!

calling3-6-110081.jpg

calling3-6-110061.jpg

calling3-6-110091.jpg

calling3-6-110101.jpg

The pics were rushed because the camera was low on the battery
frown.gif

Anyways that was a good pick me up for the day. We headed only a 1/4 mile down the road and targeted another basin. We set up on a knoll right behind the ol' boys corrals. I busted a female invitation howl with some excited wimpers. Once again a group lit up. All of the sudden I panned to my left and spotted a great big dog slinking in from the side. He dropped behind a corral and popped up in our face. Two stand four dogs. Not too shabby!

calling3-6-110121.jpg

Its getting late in the day and we decided to bomb it back close to town and check a honey hole of ours. We make it just in time and spot a dog munching on a deer! We put a plan in and ambushed this adult male coyote. He was baffled! That made it five coyotes and time to head to the house!.. Pretty decent day of calling, with some fun twists
smile.gif
. Hope you enjoyed...

calling3-6-110131.jpg

Last edited:
I usually shoot a tikka .243 . I love that gun. Its the best rifle ive ever shot.

Letsgohuntn - Thanks! Were up around two twenty as of now. Mostly just weekend calling unfortunately!

I am jealous of those coyotes Mitch. That first and second photos are a classic. They almost look snow white from being so pale.

Well done young man!

Tony

Back