303 for moose???

Dirtpoodle

How many hunters here use the 303 British for moose?
I have used a 303 jungle carbine on a couple of occasions to drop moose. Deer fall pretty fast to the old warhorse too.

Down here in the U.S. the .303 is rarely seen hunting, though I do know of a couple of exceptions. We Yanks usually have little familiarity with Enfields (though I have two No. 4's, used to have four, and love them myself) and tend to be in love with higher and higher velocity numbers which the .303 can't come close to. The .303 is about as well known and highly regarded here as our own .30-40 Krag cartridge, which is to say, "the what?".

I know the English long used a 215 round nose to great effect on big critters. We can get 180 grain hunting loads here, I would not hesitate to whack an elk with one at reasonable distance. One of my No. 4's is a mil-spec Mark II and the other is a cut-down and sporterized Mark I that looks like the Canadian Ranger EAL (?) rifle but with the military peep sight. Good rifles, the latter is occasionally brought out as a 'truck gun' or backup.

The .303 British, usually chambered in a bubba'ed Lee Enfield, is very popular in this part of the world. And with some 26,000 moose licenses issued annually, and a success rate approaching 70 percent, I would bet nearly half of those are taken with the good ole .303. The typical 180 grain hunting bullet is prone to drop fairly quickly at longer ranges (300+ yd), but for most situations, it will do the job just fine.

Last edited:
If I need more power for the closer shots I will bring along the 358 Winchester loaded with 225 Barnes X bullets or the trusty 06 with 180 Partitions.
But for the bush, the short jungle carbine can't be beat.
Power and a ten round mag for stuff that refuses to die on the first shot.

Used to be alot of them and 6.5 Carcano and 6.5 Jap. used here back in the 60's and 70's. Now everyone has got a more modern gun since deer hunting has taken over television and become more commercialized.Now most of these old timers are in the back of peoples closets or in their collections and very rarely used.Got a few myself but still use mine at times.

Just found this thread and thought I would share a little. About 3 months ago I bought this from a lady whose husband went insane. She actually wanted to give it away,but I couldn,t do that. So what we worked out was she had 2 boxes of shells for it,so I said I'll give you $65.00 for the shells and gun. She still wanted to give it to me,but I talked her into taking the $65. Is going to be my new primary deer rifle and backup bear rifle.Its a Mark 4 #1
with a 3x9 Japanese Tasco in a s&k mount.Also has I believe a Bishop stock on it
HPIM1811.jpg

HPIM1810.jpg

He went insane then she got rid of the guns. LOL. The thing is I got the crappier part of the deal.My buddy,who hooked me up with this deal,got first pick. He got a beautiful Walther 22 Hornet with a Schmidt & Bender scope on it for $200. Not that I'm complaining cause I really like my 303

Sweet looking rig! Here is one for ya it's the top one! Have you ever seen one customized like this? LOL I call it my old sniper rifle. Its a .308 with a customized mag. Cut down with a dremmell to accept just 4 rounds to fit flush with the stock. Custom chrome barell by Sand Paper & Brillo Pad Company. LOL. 1960's I think, weaver 12 power scope. I love this gun. $100 bill and some mods.

DSC01248.jpg

Last edited:
Back