Remington Model 700 VL SS VS Savage Model 12 BTCSS

HUNT 24/7

Hey guys, new to the forums here.

I am in the market for a new 22-250 & I was thinking about one of these two rifles. What would be your choice & why? They are around the same price, do you think one is better than the other?

Thanks
Wesley

Welcome to the board HUNT 24/7.
grin.gif

Jack

This is a personal opinion only, I like the Savage, for the simple reason that Savage has listened to shooters and responded, Remington is worried about law suits and quality has fell, the xmark trigger is a trigger for 10 year olds and under,The Savage will more than likely shoot better out of the box than the 700, the accu trigger is miles ahead of the xmark. There is a lot of Rem fans, but i am becoming less attracted these days. ed

Originally Posted By: tuneredThe Savage will more than likely shoot better out of the box than the 700

That is mere speculation @ best, and I'd put my money on the 700. Either way, it's a guess.

The WORST group my new out of the box 700 shot today measured under 7/8". It was about 3/4 moa @ 200yds. This is with no load development whatsoever.

X-Marks and Accutriggers both suck, IMO, so that is a wash.

I've seen quite a few guys shoot 700 VLS in factory class shoots. Quite a few. They tend to shoot well, and that ain't a guess........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI've seen quite a few guys shoot 700 VLS in factory class shoots. Quite a few. They tend to shoot well, and that ain't a guess........

I don't know much about the VL SS but if it's anything like the VLS I just got it's a great shooter. Mine easily shot under .5 MOA with the first load with Barnes Bullets. That being said it's also a tank and if you don't mind the weight I would get it... Can't say a whole lot about the savage... Just my 2 cents

Oh ya and welcome to Predator masters!

I would go with the Savage... here's why: The Remington has a rate of twist of 1-14 the Savage has a rate of twist of 1-12. The Savage will handle heavier bullets. I have a Savage model 12 BVSS and its a tack driver. I've owned several Remington's as well and they are fine shooters. If you stick to lighter bullets either rifle will be fine. Pick the one that feels best to you... BUT if you are considering heavier bullets... go with the Savage.

I do like that on the savages that they have the faster twist. I would be like to be able to shoot heavier bullets better... Good call dirtdarte

I've forgotten the model of the rifle, but Savage does make a .22-250 with a 1-9 twist. I would rather see a faster twist more common. With the trend toward heavier, longer, higher BC .22 cal bullets, the .22-250 would be a super platform to launch these projectiles.

So 2much, what do you believe is the optimum rate of twist in the .22-250 without turning the rifle into a one trick pony?

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunBoth companies got the twist rates WAY wrong, IMO.

Enough so that I'd not buy either in a 22-250..........

So what would you buy in this price range???

Originally Posted By: dirtdarteI've forgotten the model of the rifle, but Savage does make a .22-250 with a 1-9 twist.

Model: 12 VLP DBM comes in a 1-9 & the Model: 12 LRPV Left Port also.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98I'm wanting to buy a new pickup. What's the best, Ford or Chevy? Hmmmmm, seems we have been down this road before.

Chev....

Originally Posted By: HUNT 24/7Originally Posted By: 2muchgunBoth companies got the twist rates WAY wrong, IMO.

Enough so that I'd not buy either in a 22-250..........

So what would you buy in this price range???

A 700 VLS in 243...........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun A 700 VLS in 243...........

That would be great, BUT unfortunatly in NB you can't carry a centerfire rifle bigger than .22 cal in varmint season

2muchgun I have to disagree... I love both the x-mark an accutriggers. I shoot both, I own a 700 an model 12 both with those triggers an have absolutely zero complaints.

If you like them, that is great.

Personally, they both leave much to be desired. Many a better triggers in the world IMO......

Originally Posted By: HUNT 24/7Originally Posted By: 2muchgun A 700 VLS in 243...........

That would be great, BUT unfortunatly in NB you can't carry a centerfire rifle bigger than .22 cal in varmint season

What are you gonna use it for? Neither of those rifles are very user friendly when it comes to carryin'.......

While my Rem 700 is a different model, in .223, except for a stock upgrade and has one of the older 1/12 twist barrels, it is bone stock and shoots great with the X-Mark trigger.

Rem700SPSa.jpg

I've had a .204 with the Accu-trigger and it was a 'shooter' as well.. If you go over to the .204 forum, I picked up a third place in a postal shoot in the Factory Rifle/Factory Ammo class, in 2008...

Savage16204R-1.jpg

IMHO, both are excellent rifles with the factory stocks the only complaint...Not to say that an occasional 'non-shooter' can show up, but I wouldn't have a problem with either...

I had a Savage that I took apart to set the accu-trigger. After I looked on the inside....I sold it. I'm a Remington 700 shooter all the way. JMO

Back