Resize after pulling bullets?

fireguyty

Quick question

Is it necessary to resize after using a RCBS collet bullet puller?

338 Lapua load is showing signs of pressure and I need to pull 55 shells.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: fireguytyThanks Jack,

I have had to pull 1 or 2, but never 55.

Would you share the reason you are pulling 55 bullets??? Thats a real PITA. ed

He said in his original post that the loads are showing signs of pressure.

Also, pulling 55 rounds with a collet puller is no big deal. I use a Hornady Cam-lock puller, and that would just take 5 or 10 minutes.

kevlars

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI neck size any cases that I have to pull bullets...

Yup. I have some rounds that I got from a guy for free. I pulled the bullets and re-loaded the case without resizing. 1 out of 5 rounds got stuck in my chamber.

ALWAYS re-size after you pull bullets.

Better to re-size then get something stuck in your chamber.

Unless you are the one who loaded them originally. You should be o.k.

It would seem to me that loading a bullet would necessarily expand the size of the opening of the case mouth......

And therefore the only way to return the case mouth to its original dimension would be to re-size them.....

I'm not saying that they couldn't be re-used with that step, but I would certainly think it worth the time and trouble to re-size them....JMO, YMMV.

Just for grins, do your own experiment:

pull three bullets, then seat the bullets in the cases, take notice in how much pressure is needed to seat the bullets.

Next, pull three bullets, size the cases, then seat bullets back in these 3 cases taking notice of the pressure necessary to seat the bullets.

Probably not necessary if the ammo is to be shot at the range, but very little trouble to neck size the cases. No lube necessary, just pull the bullet and set the charged caseses in a loading block. Use neck sizer or back out your full length sizer a 1/4 turn, then dump the powder in your powder scale pan while you run the case through the sizer. Replace powder and repeat on rest of the batch. Re-seat your bullets and your ammo can be used in semi autos, on range or hunting w/o any worries. Also restores neck tension to same as it is with your normal loads.

Regards,
hm

Poop. I wanted to just go with Jack's answer. Now I look back and all you guys have all these answers.

I don't have a neck sizer because the Desert Tactical rifle's are known for having tight chambers, and everybody who owns them say that have to full length resize every time. I guess to be consistent I'll just have to resize.

As always, this board screams help, and I appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: fireguytyI don't have a neck sizer because the Desert Tactical rifle's are known for having tight chambers, and everybody who owns them say that have to full length resize every time. I guess to be consistent I'll just have to resize.

just back your FL sizer off about 1/4 turn or so and you're good to go. That way you won't have to mess w/case lube.

Regards,
hm

Neck size or follow hm1996 advice...ackleyman said it very well...it all depends on the use and the rifle...makes no difference in a hunting, factory chambered rifle much, but can cause all kinds of ruckus in a fine tuned target/benchrest shooter with highly prepped ammo.

Just how much pressure are you talking about...and where is the bullet in relation to the lands? If it out touching, you might just seat a little the bullet a little deaper.

I would check things out a bit farther before I would pull that many bullets.

The Lapua is a high pressure cartridge to begin with and unless you jumped way over the maxinum load from the gitgo, you should have a few more options.

Did you clean the lub off the cases with alcohol and also the chamber before firing the loads?

A tight chamber should allow MORE pressure before causing problems than a "standard" factory chamber. I've loaded tight chamberer benchrest rifles with fitted 308 rounds to pressures that would weld a case in the chambers of factory rifle without a lot of fuss...of course I only got one or two firings before the primers fell out...but that was where the particular bullet shot the smallest targets. The bolt lifted with minimal pressures. Not the most economic way to do things, [beeep]'.

LUCK

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsNo, they do not need resizing.

Jack

+1

Pull'em and stuff'em. Assuming you are not going to the Olympics with the resulting loads.

Good luck

Jerry

Vartarg217return the case mouth to its original dimension [/quote said:
Now that you say that I did have 2-3 rounds that I loaded in cases after pulling bullets and they slipped right in. I was able to pull them out with my fingers.

Back