Is Accurate 2015 the same as AA 2015?

Str8Shooter

Probably a dumb question but I'm most familiar with the Hodgdon powders and would hate to make a dumb mistake. I've heard great things about AA 2015 in the 6x45 caliber and all I could find was Accurate 2015. I'm pretty sure Accurate Arms was bought out by Western powders, hence the name change?

The sportngoods store where I buy my powder has an older jug of Accurate powder on the display shelf that is called XMR****. I asked why the difference from what I was purchasing and he said that xmr was the old designation.
IIR, I also read where they (western powders?) wanted Acccurate powders now referred to as just A2230, A2460, etc.,etc, as opposed to AA****,
Bottom line to answer your question, yes like zilla said, AA 2015, Accurate 2015 is the same thing.
I have found good results using a few powders from Accurate.

If my memory serves me right...... The xmr 2015 is a cyclinderical powder where as the AA-2015 is a ball powder so they are not the same. I am doing this from memory so please check the websites for clarification.

John

Not for sure if there ever was a XMR labeled 2015 but that is possible, according to the link that zilla posted A2015 is a extruded powder. Now dont hold me to this but I THINK XMR may have stood for extruded military rifle ??? dont know for sure.

A2015 (AA2015) is really small kernel and meters nice for hand thrown loads.
It is giving me decent results in my 6x45 with 70gr Sierra HPBT Match Kings at the lower charge weights (23.8 - 24.0).

"With a name like accurate, you know its good"
smile.gif

Sorry, yup same stuff

HOLY COW! I can't believe that anyone is "speculating" on a powder substitution.
blink.gif

If you want the DEFINITIVE answer about that powder, call Accurate and ASK. They have a customer service line that is there for this specific purpose.

WAY too many "I think" phrases in this conversation to suit me.
wink.gif
Please don't use any recipes that you may have until you find out for certain.

The current 2015 powder by Accurate Arms was originally called 2015-BR, then XMR-2015 and now just 2015. The "A" and "AA" designations are mostly used in various publications to show its manufactured under the Accurate Arms brand(which is now owned by Western Powders). The "approximate" or "relative" burn rate is the same for all the designations but it's always prudent to start low and work your way up with charge weights.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoHOLY COW! I can't believe that anyone is "speculating" on a powder substitution.
blink.gif

If you want the DEFINITIVE answer about that powder, call Accurate and ASK. They have a customer service line that is there for this specific purpose.

wink.gif

Similar to, "I got two sticks of dynamite behind my back, one is lit one is not...take your pick"...lol

I agree Hidalgo, the most prudent thing to do would be to call Accurate Powders and ask.

EDIT- to add, while you have them on the phone ask what xmr stands for

Last edited:
Some folks thing that I'm paranoid about things like this. But I'm very fond of all 10 of my fingers and both of my eyes. Not to mention what a replacement barrel costs. Let's face it ... powder, primers, and other reloading components are CHEAP when you think about the ramifications of using an unknown or unproven component. I've seen first hand what a substitution can do. My friend wasn't one of the lucky ones, either. He got careless and complacent when reloading and made a mistake. It cost him dearly. It's not worth ANY risk, in my mind.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoHOLY COW! I can't believe that anyone is "speculating" on a powder substitution.
blink.gif

wink.gif

I agree 100% call and ask.

Better safe than sorry.

DAB

I don`t think your paranoid Hidalgo.
I felt pretty comfortable with my answer that Accurate 2015 is the same as AA2015. I use Accurate powders #7,#9, 2230, 2460, 2700, 3100, and 4350 and all three of my reloading manuals Lyman,Hornady and Nosler abbreviate Accurate powders as AA****
But you have a good point about calling their phone number that was available in the link posted by zilla.
The only thing I was unsure of was what did XMR stand for??

Well at least the maufacturer,,,isnt confusing anyone with label changes....geeez,,,not like there is a risk of injury.

They need to realize this is not like changing the label on mountain dew
X

Where i work,,they had to sub our .9 i.v. solution for 2 weeks from another company,,,with lives in the balance I AM a creature of habit,,I like to feel warm and fuzzy about things...I would check and double check these bags,,really hindered my work.,,,and they were only wrapped differently.

X

Back