Biggest game with a 223.

VMUTH

What is the biggest game you would take with a 223? You still have to have a humane kill and also consider the different types of bullets available for the 223

The last year i lived in Juneau, AK I found mself in a position I didn't want to be in when my Rotty bitch decided to go nose to nose with a 6'5" black bear. When she took off across the yard after the bear I grabbed my AR-15 it being the closest load gun available, I was sitting on my shooting bench sand bagged in. I watched for 10 minutes while she barked and raised hell with the bear, a friend was there who had a lot of experience with bears was watching it all unfold. I had the scope on 9x and the cross hairs on the top of the bears head @ 90 yards ( I know this because he was standing next to my 4" steel gong) as he looked down hill at the dog, when the dog entered the scop and the bears ears went back I let one lose. A fed 64 grain BTHP entered the the skull and took the brain on a little trip down the spine totally destroying C1,2, & 3 That bear dropped like you would imagine no fuss no muss.

Would i do it again? ,, Not if I had a choice!! I do use a 223 for meat hunting deer when I'm making head & neck shots only,

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.
Wildoats

"The expactations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Confucius

Contact Barnes X Bullets and ask them about Dr. Ed AShby's experiences with the smaller 22 hornet afield in Africa. Lets just say he has taken over 600 big game animals, and some are much larger than elk.
wink.gif

Personally I have used a X Bullet in a 222 to harvest a mule deer buck. One shot, one kill. On realtree outdoors Dave Blanton's son killed a nice whitetail with a 223. Deer sized game seems to be very doable if you do your part,

Chad

I'm confident enough in my .223 and my ability to shoot it that I would take it deer hunting if if wasn't so damn heavy. I've shot two with .22-250, one shot kills in the head or neck. I agree with Chad, you do your part and a .22 caliber will do its job on game up to large deer.

I lived in Sitka quite a few years ago, and while I was there I helped out in a gunshop. We had a customer come in who constantly went to the other islands to hunt deer with his .223 Remington. He wanted us to build him a custom load that would stop a brownie, we thought to ourselves that he couldn't possibly be serious, but in fact he was, we contacted Sierra Bullets and their reaction was much the same as ours. Needless to say we didn't get too involved with this suicide hunter. But the natives up there (in Alaska) have for many years taken brown's, grizzly, and polar bear with .22 hornets, now before you call me a liar, they will approach the beach in a boat with the motor shut off and shoot them through the eye at less than 50 yards out. If they just wound it no matter they aren't required to chase it down.

Now to answer your question, the largest game I would attempt to take with a .223 would be a 350lb talabani.

lol

Really, a careful shot will take down a deer sized animal pretty well, you just need to make sure that the bullet construction is adequate. And that your state allows it for the species you desire to take.

good hunting

dave

I shot two deer last year with my AR. I used it to prove the guys it was good enough. It may not be the ideal round but I have total faith in mine. If you know how to shoot any cal. will work.

Wildoats - Just wondering - You sorta indicated that you HAD to shoot the bear to keep it from hurting your dog. If the bear was standing right next to youg steel gong - why didn't you just shoot the gong? The bear surely would have headed for the hills with his ears ringing and you would not have had to take the chance of undeergunning him. If he stayed around to fight you still could have killed him with the AR.

Michael

I have used the 223 for Antelope and deer a few times with no complaints.
Mule deer past 150 yards is another story. You better turn their switch off upstairs, or sooner or later youll be trying to find one, even if you put the shot through the lungs. Been there, done that. I'm noy saying it can't be done on bigger animals, Any shot to the spine or head will take down all North American game.
You just better be a dang good shooter, and know your limitations. My opinion, MP

-----------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif
http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 10-26-2001).]

Sooo
For that quartering, running away shot, it would probably not be your first choice? TIC

Most any North American animal, even brown bear can, and has, been killed with the lowly 22LR. Under perfect conditions, with a perfect shot, it is very deadly.

What is a reasonable cartridge to use, is one that will get the job done without perfect conditions or perfect shot placement. Granted, even a 50 BMG will not drop a coyote if you shoot it in a hip.

What you shoot should be able to stop your target even if you are a few inches off, or if the target doesn't present just the right angle.

If you want to use lower powered cartridges, for the game you are after, that is fine, as long as you will not be attempting shots where you are not sure of your aim, or the game does not present a good target at the right angle.

If your a decent shot, anything will work. There are certain types of bullets I would rather use, on certain big body animals.
In .223 I would probably shoot the 60 grain Nosler Partition to get maximum penatration on say a bear size target.

Encore I didn't use a .223 when I did that, used a shotgun with 7 1/2's. It worked though. Your killin me man.........

Encore,
I have never shot the $*** with a 223, however I have made $*** fly with it. On my first and last Colorado Pdog hunt, my partner carreied a Cooper 223 which I now own. He had it stoked with 335 and MEF bullets by Berger. Now when the MEFs hit the pdog, everything popped out and went airborne. Liver, intestines,$*** and all.
And if you doubt my word as a gentleman, American, and predator hunter, all you need to do is find someplace where we can legally shoot pdogs, and I will prove it to you. Over, and Over and Over, as much as your heart desires......
wink.gif
I would even let you make $*** fly with my Cooper!!!
wink.gif
Hows that for a deal?

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Tackdriver (edited 10-26-2001).]

i've been out hunting many, many times with a 223 and shot craps. Does that count?

Believe it or not, but i've never shot my mouth off with a 223.

Anyone ever shot the works with a 223?

[This message has been edited by Encore223 (edited 10-26-2001).]

Encore,
Hello again. Never shot my mouth off with a 223, would not want anybody else on the board to either, but I would not mind shooting off my 223 in Bin Ladens mouth
smile.gif

(Or my future 17, Or my 22-250, Or my 243, Or my 30-06, Or my 44, Or one of my 12 gauges, Or my 20 gauge, or my 50 cal BP, Or granddads 38-40, or my 22RF). Buts let not get off topic
smile.gif

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

Michael,

There where two indications that i should take the shot, one the bear folded his ears back & shifted his weight much like a horse will or dog will before they bite, two was the field of view at 100 yards outside to outside on the leo 3x9 at 9x is 15 feet. I figured at 90 it's 14' or so and from the center of the cross hairs to the edge must be around 7'. so when the dog came into view it must have been under 7' from the bear. I figured that was probably pushing the comfort zone of the bears space for tolerance from some 90 lb bitch.

I did pop a few rounds in to the rocks above the bear before it got to that point. but this old boy had been a garbage bear for a few years and not that worried about loud noise, for that matter I lived on a trap range and he had walked across the back drop during a trap shoots before.

He was never a problem until he started to raid the dog food and lose more and more of his fear of humans or dogs. I did tell me buddy after I finished skinning and butchering the bear, Next time I shoot the dog!

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.
Wildoats

"The expactations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Confucius

Back