Using 36 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade in a 22-250?

The Virginian

I'm still fishing around with different bullets to see what my 22-250 likes. I was reading my Barnes reloading manual and see that they have recipes for 36 gr Varmint Grenades. Has anyone tried shooting a bullet this light? My twist rate on my rifle is 1/14 so I'm unsure if it will disseminate a bullet this light with a twist that fast?

Eric

Last edited:
if you are planning on killing some yotes with them i hear that they arent very good for that. have read a lot of people getting splashes with them. now for pdogs they are great. also if you plan on shooting passed 300 the wind really pushes that tiny bullet a lot. i have also heard that the varmint grenades are real picky on seating depth. your gun should be able to shoot them. personally if you want a small bullet go with a 40gr vmax or nbt.

I should have mentioned that my intended use id for groundhogs. I would say 300 yard shots are the norm but I would like to reach out a little further. I'm having a devil of a time with 50 & 55 gr Vmaxs and Noslers. Both group like crap.

Thanks for your suggestions markley.

Last edited:
I would try the 40gr noslers or vmax. they group really well in my 22-250 with a 1:14 twist. i am also using varget. my gun really likes that powder. i would buy a box the vmax or noslers. if your gonnna be after pdogs they will work great. and they r cheaper than the grenades.

I'll give the 40 gr Vmax or Noslers a try. I've only tried two kinds of powder H380 & Vargat so far. Unfortunately my pockets aren't deep enought to try a bunch. Thanks again guys for the help.

Use varget and go with a 40gr bullet if your going to stay light. Accuracy has been very poor with the varmint grenades out of several rifles I've tried them in. What type of rifle you shootin? Real suprised the 50 gr v-maxs aren't shooting well for you. They shoot exeptionally well in every gun I have with a 14 twist but they do like it on the hot side.

Rem 700 VTR, dropped a Jewell trigger and a B&C stock in it trying to settle this rifle down.

Here's some cheesy pics from my iPhone and the last one is a quick video showing the barrel is floating.

Eric

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Last edited:
Back