unit 29 wyoming pronghorn

rogge

A couple friends and I are putting in for Wyoming pronghorn this year, this will be my first trip out west and I am wondering what to expect. So far we are looking at unit 29, it sounds like the public access is so so(Thunder Basin Natl Grasslands), but I know that landowners will sometimes let you pay a trespass fee to hunt. My question is what do they usually charge(ballpark)and is it usually by the day or week or what.Any advice would be appreciated from anyone who has hunted that area. Thanks.

For goat, ya. The whole state went limited quota after a blizzard in '85 wiped a big chunk of the population. Prior to that I think you could go general and still get 6 additional tags. Now it's draw for all areas and a max of 2 additionals. So you get a tag for 1 area and it's hunting out of area if you use it elsewhere.

Finding a goat in Wyoming isn't hard. But if you're hitting public areas right outside a town, they're going to get hit real hard in the beginning and push animals to private. I took 2 last year, could have taken 30.

I would contact the BLM and buy some maps from them, they'll show public land and run $4/each. And get a walk-in area book from game and fish, more public land. And you might want to see if deer overlays with antelope, there's a ton of whitetail up there. I've never hunted that area but used to drive between douglas and Gillete. You have to be on your toes all the time unless you want a big dent and some roadkill.

The guys I am going with want to try unit 9 near Lusk, there seems to be a lot of walk-in areas there. I spoke to a guy from fish and game and he said that is a pretty easy unit to draw and has plenty of goats. I still need to check out the BLM land around there. We will be putting in online this week.

Back