turkey calls?

the noobie

Alrighty all turkey season is coming and ive always wanted to try turkey hunting (not the type of hunting i do) and try to call a turkey.

For a spring turkey hunt what are the best calls to get? besides diaphram calls i cant figure out how to use them. those slate scratchers? or those squeaky boxes? both?

My limit is $50 and i would like to get the most bang for my buck.

For $50 I would gladly go find Wendall Rye at Lights Out Custom Calls and get him to make you a custom slate or glass pot/peg call from the wood of your choice. The most bang for your buck right there.

Just getting into gobblers myself.

Found a sweeeeeet spalted maple copper over glass pot with striker for 25 bucks.

Thing is great and I can already cluck yelp and kee kee up a storm.

Pot calls are neat!

Check out Double M Calls.

Here's mine:
TurkeyCall.jpg

Not to mention Mike is a great guy.

I have a couple box calls and slate and glass calls.I do best by far with mouth diaphragms.The box calls I would rate second best and a good choice on windy days.The slate is a little easier to use than the glass but I've not had anywhere near the response with either as I do with the others.As far as locator calls go unless I was VERY close to start with they never gobbled to any of these.

i have great success just using primos diaphragm mouth calls!. they can be very tricky to learn but it pays off when you get the mimics down and harvest a gobbler!. the hardest call to learn for me was the gobble. its not easy and i dont always use it when in the field as a gobble attracts other turkey hunters.
I also carry a primos wet box call! for 22 bucks at walmart. im very partial to primos products when i hunt turkey, sorry but thats the way it is.

you dont need a decoy but i recomend it!. trkey can tell if somethings up just like a coyote and can hear and see just as good at times. a good jake decoy and a good hen decoy side by side work great!. i use HS jimmy jake decoy and a feeding hen. wear the same camo head to toe as you would coyote hunting. dont worry about smelling too bad as turkeys nose is not very good. but alot of guys still call a coyote in while hen yelping! ya never know.

I think to start out im going to get a slate pot call give it a whirl and see what happens.

Speaking of decoys, think my mojo critter would work for turkeys? (im secrelty hoping that if im NOT trying to get a coyote that a coyote will come in and let me shoot it)

I don't think a turkey would respond well to the Mojo.I use a Feathflex hen.Ultra light and you can roll it up and stuff it in a cargo size pant pocket but I carry it in the game pouch on my turkey vest.

I think this will be my year for turkeys as well and I will probaly be using a copperpot that a guy on Predator Masters made for him out of snakewood.

Originally Posted By: GCFor $50 I would gladly go find Wendall Rye at Lights Out Custom Calls and get him to make you a custom slate or glass pot/peg call from the wood of your choice. The most bang for your buck right there.

Bullseye.

I think we will cheat and use my FOXPRO FX5 with the 'bunch' of turkey calls already on it. I know they work as I called in a tom 2 years ago while coyote hunting just for grins.

be careful !

its illegal in some states to use an electronic game calling device on wild turkey. and be very very careful when imitating a gobble, A lot of hunters stalk toms that gobble.

LON0121 I haven't found anything in our regs regarding the non-use of callers - yet. I'll go through them again just to make sure.

Agree about the 'very careful' thing as we DO have other turkey hunters around.

Have the same concern, occasionally, when I wear a grey pullover hooded sweat shirt and howling at coyotes. Works great!! Thankfully we can see as much as 2 miles when we are out in the sagebrush('yote hunting) and we NEVER hunt within a mile of ANY other observable 'yote hunter for any reason.

As far as slates go I have great success with a kane ceek pro custom slate. And either their purple heart or cottonmouth strikers.

LON0121 Checked and rechecked our turkey laws and there is no mention of using or not using electronic calls. So, we are good to go. Now its just a matter of keeping the eyes open for other hunters and a little luck with the turkeys.

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgOriginally Posted By: GCFor $50 I would gladly go find Wendall Rye at Lights Out Custom Calls and get him to make you a custom slate or glass pot/peg call from the wood of your choice. The most bang for your buck right there.

Bullseye.

I'll third this.

GC gave me this good advice last year and I now have two Lights Out calls and a Dad's box call. Up until this point I've used diaphragms exclusively. They really aren't that hard to use with a good instructional video and it keeps your hands free. Hooks makes really good custom diaphragm calls.

http://lightsoutcalls.com/

Back