advice on 22-250 ammo needed

kennedy3627

I have a remington 700 sps varmint 22-250. I have been reloading for a few years for several guns. Most of the time I have found a load that shoots well without trying too many different loads. I am now trying to work up a load for this 22-250 and am having a difficult time. I would like to shoot 55 grain V-Max if possible because the gun will be used for coyotes. I worked up 4 different loads with IMR4895 and none of them would group any better than 3" at 100 yards. I then tried Varget with 3 different loads and had the same results. I had some hornady 50 grain V-Max factory loads that I decided to try so I could rule out any problems with the gun itself. The factory ammo shot a 3/4" group with 4 shots at 100 yards. What would you guys do. I am thinking about buying some 50 grain V-max to try to load even though I would rather shoot the 55's, or should I say the heck with reloading for it and just buy factory ammo. I figured reloads are about half the price of buying new. I will not be insulted by any advice or input.

i have the same rifle as you. 55s would not group at all in my gun. my gun really loves 40gr vmax and 52gr amax. both of them grouped right around an 1in 5 shots at 200 yards. my gun also really likes varget. my load is 40gr vmax with 39.5gr varget and a winchester large rifle primer. average velocity is 4184fps.

I have the same rifle/cal. and have been reloading for quite a few years, using 34.0 grs of varget, with the 55 gr. vmax. very accurate losd in my rifle. don"t have a chrony, so i can"t give the vel.,i am sure the guys on this site can give you alot of info to tweek your loads, most of them know their stuff and are very helpful

I have a Savage 10 in .22-250. I've been unable to work up a load that shoots as well as the Remington 55grn PSP (yellow & green box).

Because it's about $20/box and I only use the rifle for hunting, I stick with that factory ammo. I just read recently that the Hornady Superformance is really accurate and groups well. I may try that.

My 2 cents is to stick with factory.

I'm using 36.5 varget and 55 gr nolser bt and shooting under an inch all day long my ruger hates vmaxes never got under 2 inches with 50 or 55s

I would try a different powder with the bullet your wanting to shoot. I have a 257 weatherby that is really picky on what powder i use. I like benchmark in the 22-250. I have a kimber that i shoot a 50gr ballistic tip in the .3s using a stiff load of benchmark.

I've had real good luck with 52 grn. Burgers in mine.

You might mess with the free bore also. When I started with my VTR, I had the same kinda deal going on. I'm used to staying pretty close to the lands, but this thing wants a little running room. I loaded four sets of exact loads only varying the C.O.L. Shot them all, noted the results, then adjusted according.

I have a savage model 10 predator that had the same problem with the 55gr vmax and Imr 4895 and found that by adjusting the bullet seating depth away from the lands that it went from 2.5-3 inch groups at 100 yrds to .5 for 5 shots off of a bench

My .22-250 has a 1:14 twist barrel. It wount shoot 55 gr bullets worth a darn (under stabilized and keyholing). 50 gr bullets will shoot sub 1 MOA with 4 different powders. I shoot V-max and Noslers. If you try several types of bullets (HP,flat base SP, and boat tails) you are sure to find one your barrel really shoots well. good luck!

One tip I learned when reloading for the .22-250 is do not load the bullet longer then the listed length in the manual. I too had 3" groups and tried various powders till someone on this site told me their gun would not group well if the bullet was seated farther out.

I tried that advice and groups went from 3" to 3/4". Don't know why this is but it is contrary to all the other cartridges I've loaded.

I'm also loading hotter then most on here as I'm using 37.5 gr of Varget with the 50 gr Nosler BT. Because of the slow twist on the .22-250 you need to get the bullet moving. Shoot it at lower velocities and you'll get key holing.

Last edited:
I tried federal large rifle, and cci large rifle bench rest. I bought some of the 50gr. V-max to try. Should get out to shoot them later this week. I will let everyone know what the results are. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

my savage has a 1-14 twist,the best 55gr ive found are the sierras and speer bullets.i can shoot all of the 55s from them.the tnt is just plain nasty when it hits

Went out today to shoot the 50gr. Vmax. Shot 3 different loads all with varget and federal #210 primers. My best load grouped 0.8" with 5 shots, the best 3 out of those 5 was 0.35". So problem solved this 700 sps does not like the 55 gr. Vmax, but will shoot the 50 gr. Vmax. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

I just tried the 55 grain vmax in my 700 adl today, and it did not like them at all! So I bought the hornady 55 grain soft points to try.

Back