Best bipod or shooting sticks?

I'll comment on what I've used.

Shooting sticks work well for me on short shots, but I wasn't as accurate on longer shots and didn't like having to move the sticks and rifle if the coyote came from an unexpected direction.

I use a Versa-Pod bipod now that extends to 31". Its about perfect for my needs. I've also have a 9"-12" Versa-Pod for prone shooting. I order one of their nipple attachment and bedded it into the end of the forearm on my stock so the gun still has a "clean" look to it when I take off the bipod. My favorite feature of the bipods is that the legs extend when I push the button on the legs. Makes it easy to get the rifle leveled up.

Haven't used a Trigger Stick in the field, but have played with one in the store. They seem nice.

Alot of people really like Harris bipods. I used one for a while, but didn't care for it. The spring were too noisy and I didn't like how the legs extended.

I have sticks, a bipod and slings to help my shooting. All three have their pros and cons. I am currently using a shooters sling (great tool if you use it properly) and got away from the bipod and sticks. I dont even like a sling but I need one to help carry my rifle in the winter months. The bipod is on my 22-250 and since its a heavy rifle, the bipod adds weight. The sticks are a good tool but can be cumbersome and has cost me a shot on a moving target cuz they slipped off the rock I was on when I tried to adjust for the movement. I like to shoot off hand, kneeling and prone and use my body as a platform.....just my $.02.........

Last edited:
shooting sticks if hunting and want to keep the gun light and mobile. Recommend predator sniper styx. If you want a bipod, which is great for a more stable platform...recommend a Harris bipod.

does anyone make a bipod that clips on the sling swivel stud but has allows the gun to be pivoted horizontally more than just a few degrees. i would like one that i can follow a running coyote with and not have to pick it up to adjust. and i am not fond of the sticks.

stoney point rapid pivod, i use it and it clips on and off really easy. The only problem is that i had a problem with the rubber yoke that connects the legs ripped on it, but i called them and they sent me a new set in a few days. If they could take of that problem they would be an awesome set of bipods. They are very light and easy on and off.

I use Harris bi-pods or home-made shooting sticks, two three-eighth inch fiberglass fence posts fastened together about a foot from one end so you can shoot prone by turning them over. With the rods, the screw, and rubber caps for the ends I have a couple dollars in them.

I like the varmint Al shooting sticks. cost like 10 bucks and work good. I like sticks cuz you can just drop them on a running shot. I only bring them to the most wide open stands. If I can't see past 100 yards I don't even bother. I do very well shooting from a sitting position to atleast 125 yards.

I hate when the sticks slip during recoil or quickly trying to reposition. I think I need to rig up a rope between the two legs on the stick to limit how far they can open. The thing is each stand you may need them higher or lower depending on the ground so you need the rope to adjust easily.

I have tried a couple bipods and I prefer sticks.

The Only time I have needed to control the legs on shooting sticks, is when trying to shoot from a surface that wont allow the nails to get a foothold. In the dirt there is no prob. I agree, its easier to get off of the stix to make a shot, than it is to adjust bipods in certain terrain.

Back