"Seeing Hits" - .223 vs. .204/.20 practical etc.

rookie7

So I am wanting a new rifle for coyote hunting.

I have read on several occasions about "seeing hits." Someone even posted on here about what to do with a .223 so that they may see the bullet hit fur.

It seems the most common recommendation for folks who want to see fur hits is to shoot a .204 ruger or some variation.

I looked at Hodgdon's website regarding the reloading data between the .223 and the .204.

For a .40 grain bullet and using H4895 the data is:

.223 - 24.9 grains - 3310 fps - 35,200 psi (starting load)
.204 ruger - 26 grains - 3395 fps - 45,500 psi (starting load)

I am sure other factors come into play, but it seems by the numbers that the .223 would have less recoil b/c of less pressure along with less muzzle blast.

So what gives? Are the numbers deceiving or is it only one small part of the equation.

I don't think I would get the .204 ruger, but I would seriously consider the .20 practical b/c I have a ton of .223 brass.

I shoot both, in both bolt action and AR platforms...

My .204s perform best with the 35gr Bergers and the 39gr SBKs, while my .223 perform well with 40gr V-Max, up through the 70gr level bullets...

Numbers can be deceiving when it comes to reality in the field..as, even though the .204 is traveling faster, there is less noticeable recoil (felt or observed) with it, than the .223 moving at a slower speed..

Putting a muzzle brake on the .223 will help somewhat, but that can be 'iffy', depending on the design... I can hold my .223s quite a bit tighter and it will diminish the muzzle rise somewhat as well, but then the accuracy suffers with my shooting when I do it..

While the difference may not be as noticeable at shorter distances, when you stretch out the range to a point past the 200 yard mark, being able to watch a Prairie Dog do a double back flip, (both parts) is priceless...

less pressure BUT with a larger bore. .22" bore compared to .20" bore. the pressures aren't an indication of recoil.
Think about it, a smaller bore will reach a higher pressure quicker than a larger bore.

But if you have the same configuration rifle, one in a .223 and the other a .204, the difference in felt recoil won't be enough to make a difference, really. With good shooting form, a guy should be able to see impacts with both calibers.

I can see impact from my .223 (20" bbl 1 in 8" twist) if the target is 300 yds out.

Before I sold my .204 (24" bbl 1 in 12" twist) I could see the impact about 60% of the time. As mentioned before, form and other factors predict that...

I would go with a .223, either bolt or AR. Ammo prices and availability are hard to beat.

Songdog,

What you said makes sense about bore diameter and pressure. I didn't consider that.

Heretic - I roll my own, so I'm not really tied down by factory offerings.

Old Turtle, The "double back flip" comment made me smile! That is something I would like to see!

Back