I think I am Learning; Are these all pretty much the same? Why or Why Not?

Originally Posted By: JakerexI'm trying to figure out what would be a good shooting light, at the same time, trying to learn about lights.

Am I looking for the tightest beam I can find, or something not as tight. I would say that most shots would be within 100 yards, but in some areas, on occasion, I could stretch out beyond that, maybe 200 max.

Also, If I choose NOT to buy the XLR Kill Light, which I can get in a colored LED, would something like the Uniquefire HS-802 lose a lot (too much for my hunting style) of throw by adding gel paper or a colored butler creek scope cover?

I was thinking battery life, just because, not big deal.

I'm not sure about the 802. I know that recoil thrower isn't overly hindered by a filter but certainly not my favorite light. I can tell you that you won't be identifying at 200 with a red kill light. Under perfect conditions you may. Nothing against the kill light . It's just that it's red. I made an ID at 200 one night with a kill light. I was on a hill looking down into a flat dirt field. Generally at 200 you would just be seeing eyes though. I think the UniqueFire M9 CREE XM-L 1-Mode 750-Lumen might be a real monster but it's going to be about a month until I find out. It has a new XML bulb but it's a 30 dollar light so we'll see. I read that the kill light is coming out with an amber bulb. That might be the way to go. You would probably get some 200 yard ID's with that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PacecarMy gun mounted shooting light is the HS-802 with amber DJ filter gel.
My scanning light is the red LED Sniper Hog Lights Destroyer.

you seem very knowledgeable on LED's. What do you make of the hs-802? I'd like to hear your review if you don't mind.

Quote:Also, If I choose NOT to buy the XLR Kill Light, which I can get in a colored LED, would something like the Uniquefire HS-802 lose a lot (too much for my hunting style) of throw by adding gel paper or a colored butler creek scope cover?

I posted in the LED thread some info on filters and light. I found most filters cut out about 75% of the transmited light.
That measurement was taken with a light meter held against the filter. I don't believe it equates to a 75% loss of distance in the field. Try some different filters and see how you make out.

I've been looking at the Skyline use guys have mentioned but was wondering if you'd tried both the I and II and thoughts on each.

peace.
unloaded

good throw not too much spill like a xlr250, silent on button, long run time although I don't care much about that, glass lens, very good depth perception I guess is the way to put it? It's gives you a very clear image. Runs a little brighter on disposable cr123's but plenty bright with 1 18650. Halo shield for the kill light fits it nicely. It Actually fits perfect and won't fall off.

led lenser products are nice imo. I have a model of theirs that i can id animals in scope over 400 yards. Thats no joke.
I have to say i am unsure if i would shoot that far at night. The conditions would have to be in my favor be4 i would try it.

You basically answered what I was wanting to know. I'd kinda been leaning towards the I, the bigger head on it seems nicer. Do you run amber gel in it or use it only for the shot? What kind of module does it use? More like a 6P or what the KL's have? Have you ever put a colored LED in it to see how it does? Guess I did still have a few questions after all.

peace.
unloaded

I have amber gel in it and just planning to use it for the shot. Season is over here but I've taken it out just to play with it. The module is closer to a kill light but it's super deep. I haven't done any modifications. I'll take pics later when I'm home.

here's the skyline. Lots of pics

photo-103.jpg

photo-104.jpg

photo-105.jpg

photo-101.jpg

photo-100.jpg

Kenawell, which Led Lenser light are you using? I have the H7 head lamp and like it a lot so I have been thinking about getting the T7.

Bushwacker

Anyone ever try these scope covers over a headlight or flashlight? I have seen how some people are coloring or applying gel paper to butler creeks, But these come yellow, and their cheap.

Back