henry 22 mag lever

rogge

Anyone have a henry 22 mag lever action. I was looking at one the other day and it seemed like a handy little rifle. How is the accuracy on these?

Send a pm to RePete, he's had a lot of success and experience with this rifle. Here's a decent thread where he posted a picture of his rifle.

Good luck.

Eric

Last edited:
Not that it helps you right now, I'll be picking up a Henry 22 LR, probably next week. I'll post my thoughts on the rifle once I get it and get it some range time.

Chuck Hawks did a review on a Frontier model 17 HMR. I'm sure most points of rifle quality would apply to the 22 mag.

I have a .22 Mag Golden Boy and it is by far my favorite varmint rifle that I own. Accuracy is pretty good but I cant say its amazing because its been so long since I shot paper with it.

This is my go-to-gun for rabbit hunting and it has taken many many jack rabbits at 100 yards and under (with iron sights).

If it ever comes down to me needing to sell my guns for some financial emergency, this will be the last gun I sell.

You wont regret buying it. But they are a bit tricky to sight in as the sights are tricky to bump without bumping them too far

few years ago the wife got me a golden boy mag. it's more fun to shoot than any other gun i own, but i hate to carry it for fear of scratching it up. only thing i ever killed with it was a downer cow.

Originally Posted By: cowpastureplinkerfew years ago the wife got me a golden boy mag. it's more fun to shoot than any other gun i own, but i hate to carry it for fear of scratching it up. only thing i ever killed with it was a downer cow.

Lol. I know what you mean! I have fallen down many times with Golden Boy in my hands, and by golly I'll hurt myself before my gun touches the ground. And don't get me started on when a friend wants to shoot it and puts his sweaty hands on the blueing! I immediately wipe it down before it rusts!

The one I'm looking at is blued with a 19in barrel. I have never owned a lever gun before but it just seems so handy and it points great. I might have to have it. It should work well for coon calling.

I have a henry in .22 lr. . .and I love it, had it almost ten years now. More than accurate enough, lever's very smooth. Plus Henry CS is excellent, and they have a lifetime warranty!

Originally Posted By: mikethehunterI have a henry in .22 lr. . .and I love it, had it almost ten years now. More than accurate enough, lever's very smooth. Plus Henry CS is excellent, and they have a lifetime warranty!

Mike,

you couldnt have said it any better! I would say they have the "smoothest" action on the market. And can you name any other gun company that has its President respond to your e-mails personally?! Excellent customer service IMO

As stated above, "I've been beating on a Henry just like the one you're looking at for about a year now, so here's my take.
The accuracy and reliability are as good as any, and better than most rifles made today.
It handles like a wand, and the actions as smooth as silk.
I'm no expert on Coon Calling, but I'd think it would be great for the task.

Couple of things I will point out though, would be that Henry could stand to work on their finish, and QC a bit, but, as I said, "they're no better or worse than the majority of manufacturers these days".

As far as thge finish goes,,, the painted reciever cover chips and scratches VERY easily. After one winter's hard use, mine looks like he11. I'll probably get it Cerakoted or the like, but that's something Henry should have addresses IMO.
Mine has the octagon barrel that has a beautiful deep blueing, but the mag tube and lever have the same cost cutting "Matt" (read crap) finish that rusts at the slightest sign of moisture.

CS is great,,, Buuuttttt,,,, like everyone else (not just firearms),, if they would just do the slightest QC, the little problems wouldn't have to be sent back to the warranty departments that they all love to brag about, but instead, the consumer does the QC for em.
I only say this because mine had a horrible trigger when I got it, but I soon discovered by doing a little reading over on RFC that they knew it and would fix the problem if ya sent it back. Well,, I did,,, and they did,, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they send em out like that to start with?

Anyway,,, long story longer,, I'll definatly keep the little rifle and deal with the poor finish issues although I really think Henry should step up in that dept.. Keep in mind the Frontier and Golden Boys arern't low priced entry level rifles that one might expect these kinds of problems from. (I paid 400.00 +)
All in all,,, the Henry's a nice rig for what it is, and in my mind, the accuracy's worth the few problems and price.
Luck

Originally Posted By: Luke BaxterOriginally Posted By: cowpastureplinkerfew years ago the wife got me a golden boy mag. it's more fun to shoot than any other gun i own, but i hate to carry it for fear of scratching it up. only thing i ever killed with it was a downer cow.

Lol. I know what you mean! I have fallen down many times with Golden Boy in my hands, and by golly I'll hurt myself before my gun touches the ground. And don't get me started on when a friend wants to shoot it and puts his sweaty hands on the blueing! I immediately wipe it down before it rusts!

hahaha, me to, nobody shoots mine but me, and when i show it to somebody, they get to look, not touch. i would like to have a blued one, maybe even try a 17, and put a scope on it. i know i could shoot it much better with a scope, but it just wouldnt look right on a golden boy.

Originally Posted By: cowpastureplinkerOriginally Posted By: Luke BaxterOriginally Posted By: cowpastureplinkerfew years ago the wife got me a golden boy mag. it's more fun to shoot than any other gun i own, but i hate to carry it for fear of scratching it up. only thing i ever killed with it was a downer cow.

hahaha, me to, nobody shoots mine but me, and when i show it to somebody, they get to look, not touch. i would like to have a blued one, maybe even try a 17, and put a scope on it. i know i could shoot it much better with a scope, but it just wouldnt look right on a golden boy.

You guys actually make my point for me. (Thanks :) )
The Henry's are a great little rifle if ya baby em, but I spent the winter dragging mine around in the woods chasing Cats with my dogs and, trust me, the finish definatly left alot to be desired. Truth is,,, the wood held up better than the paint on the reciever cover and the matt finish on the "lower". LOL

Mine never let me down and I like it enough that I'd buy another, but just so ya know. They ain't collectors items that I'd sacrafice my body to prevent scratching.

Last edited:
Back