Question on Brass length 22-250

rayglockman

First of all I am new to reloading, So I have a question that I need help with....I have 200 rounds of brass for my 22-250 that I have reloaded 2 times, Now I am working on reloading them for the 3rd time...Now on the length of the brass on the 22-250 should be 1.912 and going through my brass I noticed some are a little longer say 1.920 now with that being said can I reload them one more time with out trimming them or should I trim them....Most of them are in between the 1.912 and the 1.920....

Last edited:
cases that are longer than the max overall length listed will raise pressure. the long case will impead the bullet from releasing when fired and you can blow primers,rupture cases and have other pressure problems. also haveing all your cases the same length will improve accuracy. dont mess around with it trim those cases. joe gifford

To be safe they should be trimmed to at most max length.
In actuality most chambers are much longer than that. You would have to measure to be sure. Sinclair has a neat tool for measuring max length.

Jack

Generally, Cases that are within .010 of the suggested trim length will not give you a problem if your seating die is not set to crimp.

Its hard to say how many loadings you will get without trimming. That will vary with your load and a few other factors.

Always measure your brass after resizing.

Be sure you lube the inside of the case necks so you won't stretch the case as the expander ball is withdrawn from the case during sizing.

i always trim my to the max length. after i resize them i put every piece in the trimmer and trim it whether it needs it or not that way i know that all my brass is the same size.

Don't set yourself up for problems, trim the brass. I trim mine on every reloading for high intensity cartridges like the .22-250 or .25-06.

You can buy a Lee case trimmer pretty cheaply, I've used them for over 30 years.

be sure to get the stem that screws into the cutter that goes down through the neck of you casing. I had a friend that tried to trim them with just the cutter itself, needles to say his cases were a mess. I always trim mine every time I resize them.

Back