3 tomatoes, sliced

3 onions, peeled, quartered

1 turnip, peeled, quartered

4 cloves garlic, crushed

4 tablespoons lard

2 tablespoons flour

water, boiling

seasonings to taste

Fry rabbits, carrots, garlic, onions and turnips in a frying pan with the lard. Empty contents of frying pan into a stew pan. Sprinkle with flour. Mix well. Cover with boiling water. Add tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and let cook for about 45 minutes. Then serve over mixture of wild and brown rice with whole mushrooms.

[This message has been edited by NASA (edited 09-09-2001).]

You can cook like that Nasa, and she stillchose to leave you?
wink.gif

Andrew, you'll find a ton of game recipes on the net with little searching. I've seens lots of them but never bookmarked any of them.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Could be she's not interested in what's IN the pot, but rather the size of the stick that's stirring it.
confused.gif

p.s.- I'm actually a great cook. My grandfather was a culinary school grad and owned a restaurant in Redondo Beach, CA. I guess I take after him.

[This message has been edited by NASA (edited 09-09-2001).]

NASA,

You are the first person I know who will actually eat a jack rabbit. I love cottontails, but a jack is right up there with a coyote.
wink.gif

Bob C.

I thought sure after you listed your ingredients you would say something to the effect of "chop this stuff up, cube the rabbit. Trow the jack rabbit in the trash, toss in some beef and enjoy!". I've never heard of anybody eating jackrabbit before.

------------------
Regards,

Sharps Shooter.

'74 Sharps... when you care enough to use the very best.

If the truth be known, I've only eaten jack once. Summer jack is usually worm and tumor infested. Winter jack is usually a little better. Jackrabbit is stringy and bland. I added two cut-up and fried hot links to the mixture to make it edible. The above recipe is usually reserved for cottontail.

I have never eaten jacks either or any rabbit for that matter. I was just wondering if anyone ate them and how they cooked them since I shoot so many and wondered if I could do anything with them.

The only things that eat jack rabbits are coyotes and bobcats. I think we all agree coyote isn't good eating, probably the same holds true for bobs too.

To extrapolate that data, if someone eats jacks, they would taste bad as a result of it, right? So.... if you hunt mountain lions or bears and eat jacks too, you ought to be safe from being eaten by the big critters.

So eat jack rabbits and rassle mountain lions naked if you want to impress your hunting partners. Ya got nothing to worry about.

A little logic without empirical data is a dangerous thing, isn't it? Man, I really gotta quit eating those mushrooms I find growing out of in the cow pies.

------------------

I'll eat a rattle snake before I eat a jackrabbit, but I love home grown plump rabbits, deep fried like a turkey, or in red chile, ho rattle snake, one at 3 to 4 feet, skined, take the thickest part of the meat of the bones, salt, pepper,and flour, fried in becon grease, taste great.

I suppose I'm kind of adventurous when it comes to food. I've taken a bite out of lots of different critters, including bugs. Even went to a Korean dog feast, once. Not bad, kinda greasy. As long as it's not guts or brains, I'll give it a try. My favorite is B-B-Q alligator tail. Mmmmmmmm-yum!

Back