Snake boots VS Chaps?

Austin419

its about to get that time a year again and I dont knnow which to get. Boots or chaps? Please help. Any pros and cons / reviews are welcome. Thanks guys yall could be lifesavers on this one Lol

My daughter lives in Dallas, GA and I've been there for each season of the year. I would go with boots. Chaps are hot & heavy plus rain won't help. Moved from NE to WY and we do have some rattlers. Check Sportsman's Guide online for snake proof hunting pants. They were in-expensive tough with camo front. I bow-fished a lot in AL & GA and wish I had snake proof boots. Almost bit once down in Douglasville. WY is cooler & dry in summer, but GA you'll be dragging with chaps. Good Luck partner.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI have both. I've worn out my boots but the chaps are in like new condition.

Chaps are hot, noisy, bulky so they are behind the seat of the pickup but I wear my boots faithfully. Then you run across one of these
IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

and wonder if your boots are tall enough.

But, as Stu said, the chaps are still like new and I'm on my fourth pair of snake boots.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

I've also got both and also prefer the boots. One thing I do like about the chaps is going through briars you never get stuck. But as mentioned they are stiff & hot.

I wear these (Snake Guards):

They're kind of warm to wear, but not as bad as boots or chaps. Easy to put on/take off, they also make great brush guards. For warm weather footware, I wear surplus marine-issued TFX desert boots with these guards

Of course, this combo offers no protection if you sit your rump on a rattle bug! I'm dealing with the smaller prairie rattlers up here. With those huge southern snakes, I might consider full length chaps

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear boots. My dad tried the chaps and got rid of them in a yard sale after buying a pair of boots too. Another advantage of boots is you can wade some water and stay pretty dry vs. chaps which will get you soaked.

Good quality rubber boots work here. With those 5-8 footers though I don't know. I hate it when they get up in the brush over knee high.
Sometimes when rattlers strike they just bump.
The largest rattler I ever caught was 53". I mistook it for a piece of tree limb. Had my shovel and pinned it down to kill. A couple times it felt like I was going to loose grip. It was strong and mad.

I wear Rocky snake boots almost ever day, even when it's not snake season. They give great support and comfy as heck...besides cheap insurance in a snakey area.

Tony

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI wear Rocky snake boots almost ever day, even when it's not snake season. They give great support and comfy as heck...besides cheap insurance in a snakey area.

Tony

If they were comfortable would be the only reason I would be wearing snake boots.

I spent one or more weekends a month for my high school years doing ground team search and rescue exercises throughout New Mexico, and the only close snake encounter I have ever had was on a messy property on the out skirts of town.

Years ago when we were producing a video with Quest Productions... I contacted the marketing manager at Rattler Brand, about sending us 4 pairs of chaps for a deer video we were producing in Aug in SC... he sent the chaps... but said that he only wears 18" lacrosse rubber boots... he didn't believe snakes would bite through them... that's all I wear... but never been hit either... and i wish someone who had a snake would test this rubber boot idea...

I have been struck by a rattler while wearing rubber boots out irrigating. It was barely enough bump to realize.
There were snakes everywhere on that place so I trusted wisdom of others that wore them.
However boots didn't help when you open a motor cover waist high to find a rattler.

I started out trying to wear the inexpensive Storm Trooper shin guards, but I finally broke down and bought a pair a Chippewas. Very confortable and long wearing.

I don't know. I guess I will post again this year after I am proven wrong.

I used to live in Sweetwater, Tx and now live 45 miles away. Sweetwater is the site of the World's Largest Rattlesnake Round-up. This is held the second weekend of MArch every year.

Anyway, I have never worn anything but regular hiking boots when out hunting and such. Even when out hunting snakes. The most We ever caught in a season was about 200 pounds and the roundup had around 18,000 pounds. So, we have a few snakes around.

But I have never come across one unless I was looking for them. I believe if you just keep an eye out you will be fine.

And as I said, I will post again after I see snakes everywhere this year. lol

Originally Posted By: ClaysshotgunnerI don't know. I guess I will post again this year after I am proven wrong.

I used to live in Sweetwater, Tx and now live 45 miles away. Sweetwater is the site of the World's Largest Rattlesnake Round-up. This is held the second weekend of MArch every year.

Anyway, I have never worn anything but regular hiking boots when out hunting and such. Even when out hunting snakes. The most We ever caught in a season was about 200 pounds and the roundup had around 18,000 pounds. So, we have a few snakes around.

But I have never come across one unless I was looking for them. I believe if you just keep an eye out you will be fine.

And as I said, I will post again after I see snakes everywhere this year. lol

i agree

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI wear Rocky snake boots almost ever day, even when it's not snake season. They give great support and comfy as heck...besides cheap insurance in a snakey area.

Tony

Thanks for the feedback, Tony. Mine are Redheads fro Bass Pro Shops. They've never been real kind to my feet & are now 10 years old. I'll hunt down the Rocky's & try them out.

Tony

+1

I can't say that I wear them everytime that I go snake roping, but I do own some and they are about the most comfy pair I have found.

Chupa

I have a pair of the cabela's ones also, and like those.

Here in the desert I run into diamond backs every 5/6 times out once it warms up. But agree with the comments so far, you leave them alone, and they will leave you alone.

I wear the buits because they are comfy, help with cactus/thorns, and you just never no.

I have a pair of pinnacle boots also they are quick off and on with the zipper so I wear them a lot. They are comfortable but I have never walked in them so don't how they work out that way.

Back