pan tension.. need some help

backwoodsbarry

i am new to trapping and have kinda just dove in head first. I've spent countless hours on this site and on youtube listening and learning from my mistakes, I've got a feeling i have a slop problem and i can't seem to find any info on how to adjust pan tension or how to measure pan tension any helpful tips or where i could start looking to solve my huge problem. You guys are awesome.

first off I have to ask, what trap do you have and does your pan have a bolt on the tang? if it does all you have to do is tighten the nut, as for measuring pan tension, get you a 2x4 and cut it in 1,2,3,4,5 feet sections, each foot of a 2x4 is roughly a pound. you can set your trap and then gently place the 2x4 on the pan, when the trap doesn't fire, you have found your pan tension (roughly) but close enough to know what it is. if have any other questions feel free to ask. its why I am here. lol.

sorry jeff i'm still figuring this whole posting in the forums thing out i have the bridger double coils in a #3 and#2's and yes they do have the nuts on the tang what do you think the best poundage is to run whats your preferred i guess i should say. main target will be coyotes until cat season opens up again later on

if you realy want to take the guess work out of it, get you some of these, they are sweet. and there is no pan creep, just put them on and go. you can also set your trap and leave the pan in the up position til you get to the location and then just stake, gently push down pan til click and bed, cover and go. I use them and love them.

for your traps you'll need kit #2.

http://www.sullivansline.com/sline/hardware/hardpit.aspx

those seem pretty slick but i spent the last of my budget on another dozen traps today so guess i better be able to catch them with what i got. then maybe make some money to get them. Is that sullivans pretty good to deal with? I need to find a good supplier cause my resources are pretty are pretty limited as far as trapping supplies where i live and need to find a good one online. Thanks for the help jeff i really appreciate it

sullivans is a good one, I know Hal personally and have bought stuff from him, another good company to deal with is Cumberlands Northwest Trappers Supply. they are great also and I buy a lot from them. look them up on line and request a catalog. they usually ship the same day the order is put in.

Back