Cameras

stick

I am looking at buying a camera. I have pretty much settled on a Cannon EOS Rebel/SLR model based upon the recommendations of coworker. I was wondering if there are any reputable places online to buy a camera at a good price. The best I have seen locally is about $370 at Walmart.
Thanks for any information anybody can provide.
Later
Eric

[This message has been edited by stick (edited 08-30-2001).]

Stick, give ebay a try. I got my hp 315 digital camera there for $30 cheaper than Wally world.

Steve

------------------
pmcatsig.GIF

Safety 1st. Live with it.

Hello,
From my personal experience with cameras, I would stay away from the ones that are "full-auto". The extra lenses cost more by about a factor of two to four. Also there is the "if it aint there, it cant break" philosophy. Also manual cameras force you to think more about the pictures you are taking, become more knowledgable about both the art and science, and they do not eat as much film. My personal favorite, having used one is a Minolta X-370 or a Minolta X-700. Both can be found at more reasonable prices than the EOS, the X-700 is still in production, and the X-370 goes for about 150 in most good camera stores used. There is another site, www.accuratereloading.com and if you visit them, they have a "photography for hunters" section there. Which is what I assume that the camera might be doing, at least some times.

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

Thanks everyone
I have found some of the sights pretty good.
Tackdriver
The reason I settled on the EOS Rebel is because several of the people at my agency use them and are happy with them because they can be adjusted and the photos fine tuned if the auto focus is not right. The other reason is if I want advice or help with working the camera or taking different types of pictures I have several people to go to. I did look at a Minolta though. The comparable model was only something like $40 less.
Thank you all
Eric

OK Stick here goes...The Canon Rebel is an ok camera,a little slow to autofocus but has pretty good metering. Autofocus lenses usually cost "less" than primary manual lenses depending on the aperature. The faster the aperature the more money,f2.8 is faster than f4.0 for example. The faster the lens the more light it lets in, just like on a scope, plus the contrast is usually better. You are right about support from your friends though. If you're not sure about some function they could help you. Of course my recommendation would be a Nikon camera! Try looking in "Shutterbug" for a retailer "B&H" is pretty good. I certainly wouldn't buy on EBAY unless you're familiar with what you want!!!

Good Luck, Nikonut

A word of caution about buying manual cameras now days. All of the manufactures are trying to force the market to go to the auto cameras. Canon doesn't make any manual any more. Nikon makes 2, one is very cheap and one is very expesive. Minolta makes one and is rumored it is now discontinued. Pentax makes half of a manual camera. Olympus makes a couple of very expensive manual cameras. Compare that with all of the auto models that can go both manual everything to auto everything or somewhere in between. It is alos getting harder to find the manual lenses and accessories. Nikon makes 2 manual cameras. Take a look at their list of manual lenses available and how many auto lens available.

a good old-fashioned Nikon FM-2 is a great camera (non-AF).
www.keh.com
They are honest and helpful. They have new and used. Manual lenses are going to be around for quite awhile yet. AF doesn't solve all issues.

[This message has been edited by Skinny Shooter (edited 09-02-2001).]

Wow! Thanks for all the input.
I think I need to explain myself a little bit. I am not really into photography. But I do want a good camera for family holidays, hunting season, vacations, and some use at work.
I kind of like having auto focus with the option of manual focus as well as putting on a long range lens.
I want to keep the initial cost of a basic camera down. I do want something I can expand on if I like taking photos like flash, lenses, etc.. My target amount is about $400-500 with a Pelican hard case.
Sorry, I should have said all this in the beginning.
Dale have you done business with Wolf Camera? I looked at their site and see some decent prices.
Later
Eric

Stick, You should be aware that "Wolf Camera" is in a downsize mode. I have bought from them before and never had any problems. If you really want the manual focus functions the Nikon autofocus cameras and many others have that capability. The Nikon lens mount system is compatible with older manual and newer autofocus lenses. You simply loose some of the advanced features. Few other cameras allow that option. Try to buy a camera body with pop-up flash, it really helps even in bright sunlight...like backlit situations or heavy shadows. I teach photography at a community college and see lots of cameras...if you can afford to buy Nikon,they hold their value and most are solid tanks but are harder to find good used. Next I would suggest any Canon "EOS" model, they are very popular,have good resale and lots of availability. Be carefull using mailorder stores, make sure you are buying "USA" market not "gray" market! You get no USA service warranty with the imported "gray" stuff. Hope that helps. Nikonut

Nikonut
I saw something about "gray" market on a camera website (not sure which one). It kind of makes me want to just spend the little extra and buy from a store and know I am getting a camera for the US market rather than wonder about a good deal.
I checked out the price of a Nikon. I don't think I can afford one. Also the help from my coworkers seems to out way the disadvantages of the EOS vs. the Nikon.
Thanks
Eric

Stick, I think you know this already and I probably don't need to say this, but....

A camera that does not allow you to override the auto-focus feature is WORTHLESS (almost) for outdoor photography. You have to have one that allows completely manual focus - when you need it.

Had that hammered home just a few minutes ago when trying to take a pic of the turkeys sitting on my clothes line. Distance to subject - 25ft. Distance to the one little leafy branch the camera wanted to auto-focus on - 5 ft. I'll now have a pic of some fuzzy birds.
I'll spare someone the effort of saying that all you have to do is lock the focus on another subject at the proper distance - that doesn't work well on uncooperative wildlife and limited fields of view.

I'll be glad when the manual camera is repaired.

JoeF
Yeah I was thinking along the same line about being able to override the auto focus for outside. Also thought that would be handy for pictures for work. I don't have alot of confidence in the point and shoot types we are issued, so is life in a small agency
frown.gif

Locking the focus doesn't seem to be an option with some cameras either.
Thank you
Eric

Back