Hardest predators to call?

coyote_220

I was wondering what are the toughest predators to call? On a scale of 1-7, seven being the toughest where do these predators fall? Coyote, bear, fox, bob cat, racoon, badger, mountain lion. I am curious to how predators respond to calls.

Thanks
Shawn

1-raccoon
3-badger
2-3?-fox
2-3-coyote
4-bobcat
4-bear
6-mountain lion

Couple of these are a toss-up for me. It's not that the last three are hard to call as much as it is just time consuming. It is hard to sit that long. All of these numbers can vary greatly from area to area. Hunting pressure and other factors could change all those numbers. Just my opinion though.

[This message has been edited by Curt (edited 08-30-2001).]

I would have to agree with Curt on this one. The last 3 will be the toughest ones to get, but are not nessesarily the hardest to call in if one is close by. It's just time consuming because they are distributed less densely in most areas so you must make lots of stands, and they respond slower in most cases so you have to spend more time on each stand.

Daryl

Raccoon
Badger
1 mountain lion
2 fox
3 bobcat
4 coyote
5 bear

I rate them this way based on my own personal experience, and the way they respond to a call; not because of the abundance (or lack of) in some areas. I rate the lion so easy because I firmly believe that if one is in the immediate area he will come, if for no other reason than sheer curiosity. Bears can be very fickle. Sometimes they come. Sometimes they run the other way. I have no experience calling 'coons or badgers, so did not include them.

Coyotes is a one, bobcat is a 1.5, grays are easy if you get into them, otherwise; maybe a three?

Raccoon is about a five on my scale, night time. They rate at least a six for daylight calling.

Perhaps a surprise, badgers and lions are a solid seven, for different reasons. Badgers are a target of opportunity. But actually called in, responding to a call? For me about half as many as lions.

Lions, as the man said, you have to be in the right area or it will never happen. Because I generally avoid deer areas (ask me why) when night hunting, I don't see many lions either.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. LB

Watch the ole Moses Man come in here and list Coyote with a 1. LOL

C'mon Jerry, where ya at?

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

River runner . I dont call anything but coyotes he . he . But i do know that a Badger is HARD to call in . I have seen them in my areas before , and never called one in yet . Coons are easy compared to coyotes . if one is around . I have only called in one Bear so i dont think i should even try to rate them . Jerry

Badgers are actually quite easy to call, but they won't travel like a coyote. Not nearly as mobile and their numbers are not as high. You have to be right on top of them pretty much. I have called them to my truck in the day with just lipsqueaking. Have pulled up to holes on a paved road, lipsqueaked and had them come to the entrance. Coyotes and coons can be so easy at times they could be listed a -1 or lower many times. I've never called coons in the day. The difficuly of calling a coyote can vary greatly within even a relativly small area. Some places they run you over. Other places nothing will bring them if they have been schooled well. That has been my experience anyway.
smile.gif

Squeak...
badgerinhole.jpg

Squeak, Squeak...
badgerouthole.jpg

One from night-calling....
badger1.jpg

Nice eyeball there, Curt!

Around here the coyote is toughest. Cats are probably next here. Sometimes just waiting for them is the tough part.Fox come in after bobs, though most of the places we hunt are heavily populated by coyotes and foxes are few and far between. Coons at night, if they're around are EEEasy pickin's! Never called the others, so I can't judge.

------------------
Bye y'all
yotewalk.gif

B. Pierce

In my experience of the last 18 years in this part of TX, easiest is coons, then bobcat if they are in the area, then fox and finally, the hardest and smartest is ole man coyote.

Pecos

Easy question

Great White Shark

Electronic calls short out and hand calls just produce bubbles.

Wetsuits in realtree are almost nonexistent.

Saltwater is hard on the bore.

Coast Gaurd actually charges you to bring you back to shore.

But in spite of all that I know someday I'll succeed.

Thanks everyone for the info! I assumed that the hardest two would have been lions and bears so I guess I am not totaly clueless.

Curt- Thanks for the badger photos I have seen very few badgers and I never knew that they were that gullable.

Mule- Try this 1.get yourself a seal skin 2.Get yourself a cheap surfboard and strap the skin to the bottom.3.Get yourself some real stinky chum. Finnaly your ready to go paddle way out past the surf preferably cold water,now poor out the chum and kick all around with your legs make lots of splashes this should attract your great white
biggrin.gif
If this fails you can always try calls however you MUST get the shark before he gets you or bye-bye
frown.gif

Thanks
Shawn

Your welcome 220. I guess I shouldn't give the impression that they are gullable. They are kind of like coyotes. Much easier to call if you have them in sight. Blind calling for them rarely pans out. They seem to be very curious and are not easily scared. If you come across one at their hole they seem to be very curious then. Many, many times I have come across this situation and just a handful of lip-squeaks will usually keep them coming in and out of their hole for 10 or 15 minutes. The top 2 pics were taken from my truck. We were there probably 15 minutes before the badger had enough and "threw the plug". That is when the badger fills the main entrance to it's den with dirt in about 1.2 seconds. lol

Once again thanks for the info curt you seem to know about badgers perhaps you can answer me this if you don't mind? When I find a badger hole that is filled with dirt does this mean that there is a good chance that he is in that hole and threw the plug? I wonder this because when I am out after gophers I come across a few hole that are larger than gopher holes about 10 inches in diameter and they are full of dirt that looks like it was pushed up from inside the hole.

Thanks
Shawn

Hi Shawn, I would be fibbing if I answered that one with any authority. We just have a lot of badgers here so I come across them often. They don't come to my stands near as much as I come across them going into a hole and coaxing them out. Anyway, I can't say if there would be a critter behind the plug. Logic makes me think yes unless there is another exit. But I don't know. Steve Allen probably would be more qualified than anyone to answer that question.

Take care

I think that Curt and I agree about Badgers. If you stumble on to one, sure, you can get him to give you a look. But, if he is six hundred yards away, plan on putting a round between the eyes at that distance, because he won't do more than come out of his hole once in a while, to any call that I've tried.

An old legend says that a badger can outdig two men with shovels. But, go ahead and try it for yourself, Shawn
smile.gif

No thanks Leonard Ill have to pass on that one. However how much water does it take to flush one out lol
biggrin.gif
Also Leonard whats a badgers habbits in the winter meaning how much are they out?

Thanks
Shawn

Had to think about that one. Never saw a badger in snow, but several in frozen, or at least frosty conditions. I don't think they hibernate out here, but I'm no expert, killed maybe fifteen or so, total. I saw one last weekend, dove hunting. By far the fastest I have ever seen a badger run; I wasn't expecting it. You had to see it, to believe it.

Good hunting. LB

Back