Fence Crossing Device

d2admin

Administrator
Speaking of crossing wire fence:

Just curious: Anyone ever tried one of these devices?

Product name is Hi-Stepper.

HiStepperClimberPhoto.jpg

HiStepperCloseupPhto.jpg

hi-step1.jpg

6457p.jpg

[This message has been edited by Encore223 (edited 08-29-2001).]

Never seen one before, looks promising though.

I'd want to test that baby out a bunch on a mock fence made with smooth 9 gauge wire before I attempted much "bob" wire.

Heaven help you if that thing let go, your wife'd have no use for you 'ceptin for your paycheck...............

I've got one. Last year Bill saw an add for them and researched enough to find out that they are offered at various feed stores around here. So, he hot trotted out to purchase one for each of us. I haven't used it yet but it appears to be a good produce. I believe that it cost some where between $10 and $15. Not cheap but well built. It will get a workout this year.

Micahel

Yeah, good thing a couple of those pictures have an explanation, or it would make you wonder what that guy is up to!!!

i'm seeing like 13-15 smax at various on-line stores. i think that's well worth it!
What's a ripped pair of pants cost??

Michael, are they aluminum? If so, i bet they are pretty light and wouldn't be much of a bother to carry around.

Their phone number is disconnected and their web-site is history. Some dealers may still have some. It looks like it would work....Encore223, you go first.
smile.gif

I have one, haven't used it yet. I tried it on a stub of a post and it seems to hold rigidly. Tried another post that it would not fit at all. I think it fits most post styles.

Yet to be field tested.

Gad, I hate to cross fences.......

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Yes this thing is made of aluminum and is very lite. I think that I'll simply put it on a fence post and leave it there until the stand is over, then I don't have to carry it around. To tell you the trueth I already have a method that makes fence crossing easy and have even been complimented on the method by a fence building crew. I place my ladder over the fence, climb the ladder, I place the chest on top of the rotating seat and spin around to the back side of the ladder (looks like a friggin' top), and climb down the back side of the ladder. Sounds stupid but it works just fine for my 250lb frame.

Michael

I've seen and handled them....NO THANKS! Look at the photos....do you really want to place all your weight directly above a T post and rely on a step made of cast recycled beer cans? Looks to me like it would be really painful (maybe even fatal) to land with the force of all your weight on the top of a T post when the step breaks.

Can you say shish-ka-bob?????

I KNEW you could!!!

I have one and use it almost daily. I love that little thing. just stick it in my back pocket and forget about it. One thing to watch out for is soft ground I've shortened a couple of ranchers fences. it is a lot easier to make the post go down then to try to get it back up

Well folks I once read an article written by someone that collected wire. Sounds kinda like a stupid thing to do but it was amazing the variety of Barbed wire that he had. One of the things that he wrote about was the issue of "is it barbed or bob wire. Actually it could be either one. Bob wire referes to bobed or cut wire like a bobbed tail dog. Barbed wire of cource is obvious. Over time various manufacturers have used both terms to discribed the wire that stings. Sooooo, ... the answer is either term is correct. With me it depends on how countryfied I am feeling at the moment.

Michael

Hmm...

Okay, i got a question, then....

let's say you are crossing a fence and get snagged in the nuggets.

Would you rather get snagged by barbed wire or bob wire??

If something was going to get that familuar I would definately want it to be a Barb....
biggrin.gif

I knew a guy that has a collection of ______ wire. He was pretty enthusiastic about it, had a story for each little section he had on display. Kinda neat.

Edit - I was born and raised a Mo. hillbilly, I never heard it called barbed wire until I ventured out in to the rest of the corrupted world. "Bob" wire it is.

[This message has been edited by JoeF (edited 08-29-2001).]

Hey Greenside
Your question on what the fence is called brought back a deal that happened to a friend of mine afew years back.
He was at a local Tavern had a few to many to drink , He started flirting wit this new woman in the area that happened to be in the place. Her name was BARB, Well they ended up leaveing togather after afew kisses and such. Well guess what Ole Barb turned out to be BOB. (rotfl ). (True story) I guess the moral of this story is Ther can be one hell of a difference between A barb and a Bob and where and how you cross it . HA HA HA .
Furfrinder

I think I'd rather dig under the fence than trust that little piece of aluminum. If that thing let go "Bob" would most certainly become a "Barb"!

Neat idea though, maybe if it were made from stainless or any good steel. I'd be willing to carry the extra weight rather than risk loosing my shooting bag.

Back