Letter to land owner...any good?

Dawgkilla

Getting ready to stuff some landowner mailboxes, asking permission to hunt. Tell me what you guys thing.

start letter
---------------------------
Dear Landowner,

My name is Kris Davison and I am writing you today to ask your permission to hunt predators (specifically coyotes) on your land. I am a husband of eight years, father of two (our second is due in October) and a North Colorado Springs homeowner (right on the border with Monument) and I LOVE to hunt predators! I have been an avid hunter for over fifteen years. When I am not hunting, I work full time as a software developer at MCI.

According to the Department of Wildlife, coyote populations are rising rapidly in Colorado and predation on yearling elk and deer is at an all-time high. D.O.W. estimates place the deaths caused by predation (mostly by coyotes, but some bear and lion) as the main reason the mule deer numbers in our state are on the decline.

Should you allow me the privilege to take coyotes from your property you have my assurance that I will do so with the utmost care and abide by whatever rules you set forth. I like to use my Savage Arms 24F (combo gun with a .223 rifle on top and a 12 gauge on the bottom) but can use a crossbow if you prefer that there be no gunfire on your land. If you don’t want vehicles, I can walk in. I will not leave any portion of any coyotes I take on your land. I will try to leave your property in as good a condition as I find it, if not better! I (usually) hunt alone or with my friend Clark Williamson (also a Springs homeowner) so it would only EVER be a maximum of two.

I have enclosed a signed Colorado Courtesy Card, a label with my name address and phone and a stamped envelope. If you decide to allow me the privilege to hunt coyotes on your land please complete the Landowner portion of the card and mail the Sportsman’s copy back to me. If you do not allow hunting, please keep the stamped envelope as a (small) token of my appreciation for at least reading this.

Thank you for your time.

Kindest Regards,
-------------------
end letter.

Sound good?

Dawgkilla

------------------
0 for 3, but who's counting!
:)

Hi Dawg,
Why not stop in and introduce yourself and ask in person? Your letter sounds good, but I bet you would have better sucess in person.
Doug

I was thinking the same thing. The letter sounds excellent, hell! I was ready to reply and let ya hunt here when I read that
biggrin.gif

But you have to wonder if they are going to wonder...why you didn't present your self in person.
I've always had Rrrreal good luck going in person. But I do like your letter, killa

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Dawg,

Great letter and great idea but I think you will do better to go in person.

And be prepared to sit down with a cup of cofee and visit if they ask you in.

Its half because they want to know you and half because alot of the people you are dealing with enjoy company.

Oh yea, look like a redneck too. It helps.

It's such a good letter killa, it seems a shame not to use it. Why not modify it just a bit. Try adding a statement asking permission to stop by, at their convenience, to introduce yourself. This will give them an opportunity to meet the person who wrote the interesting letter they found in their mailbox. What do you think?

Guys,
Thanks for the positive feedback on the letter. The reason I choose to try this approach (other than not having MULE'S sparkling personality
smile.gif
)is I don't intend to just drop it off at one ranch. I was planning to swing by the areas and drop of the letters after work one day. I DO like NASA's suggestion on adding the "Mind if I drop by some time..." statement. I do genuinely like to meet people and would stop in at every likely place if I had the time...I just don't have the time.

Here is the section I changed.

--------
I have enclosed a signed Colorado Courtesy Card, a label with my name address and phone and a stamped envelope. If you decide to allow me the privilege to hunt coyotes on your land I would like to call and arrange a time to drop by so I can introduce myself. Please complete the Landowner portion of the card and mail the Sportsman’s copy back to me (or just call me at home) to let me know.
-----------------------

I'll post my progress (if any) after I drop off my (amended) letters. Thanks for the tip NASA!

Dawgkilla

------------------
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dawgkilla (edited 08-27-2001).]

I would not offer to hunt with a crossbow, in leu of discharging firearms. If you give them that choice, they will likely go for it, not knowing what a handicap it is. If they want predator control, that's not the best way of doing it. It's not even second best. Then you would be hunting with one arm tied behind your back.

I'd think twice about giving the land owner that option. But, that's just me. Other than that, I like it.

You might like to have some business cards done up. I have seen cards by Rich Cronk and Jon Buchinsky and Rich Higgins, they make an effective statement, all by themselves.

Good luck, LB

Your success will probably be in inverse proportion to how many MCI customers you hit...
biggrin.gif
Just kidding.

The letter sounds good, though I'd follow the suggestion of offering a personal encounter, even to the point of stating that you'd prefer to introduce yourself prior to any hunting activity. Most of these folks are salt of the earth, handshake carries the world types. Hit just a few and get your foot in the door, it is a very small community and news travels fast. I personally wouldn't do a "mass mailing" of the whole area. Pick a few likely spots, pick good hunting territory, and then hit the guy that runs just a few sheep or has a few chickens running around. There's a good chance that they may have had a few losses, but not enough to seek professional intervention.

Include your phone number.

Know how to cross a fence and be prepared to explain it - don't laugh, that is one of the most common bitches people have. I've seen some real bone-headed approaches practiced by some real intelligent people.

Despite the bad press that landowners get on some hunting forums they are granting a great privelage and potentially opening themselves up to some liability by allowing hunting.

Good luck, and if you cook up a reliable method of opening doors pass the good word. I've had good luck getting places to hunt in my old hilly Mo. homeland, this IL. thing has proven a pretty tough nut to crack... I've even taken to wearing shoes when approaching a potential landowner...
wink.gif

I'd scratch the crossbow thing as well.

...but I've always wanted a crossbow. Besides, is someone won't allow gunfire it's the perfect excuse to use on "The Boss" that "Honey, I NEED one, see!"
smile.gif

------------------
:)

JoeF---I was wondering; just what is the proper way to cross a fence? I have never given it much thought. I have always made sure the rifle was on safe, then placed it on the ground on the opposite side parrallel to the fence, or just have my partner hold it. Put a foot on the fence wire as close to the fence post as I can and swing the other leg over. Most of the fence here is steel T-post, with an occasional run of wood posts and usually 4 strands of wire.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mike McDonald (edited 08-28-2001).]

Good letter BUT . All the cattlemen and ranchers i hunt for , were asked in person . I did call one , and he said ill let you know AFTER i meet you . All of them wanted to take a look at me . Most land owners around here make sure you know what you are doing . I.E. you know how to call , where to call , and will not shoot at anything that moves . Go in person , You will make alot more headway that way . Good luck . Jerry .

------------------
If you call them they will come-- FOX PRO.

And for the fortunate few, it doesn't hurt to be able to whip out a photo album with pics of expired coyotes stacked up like cordwood, huh?
biggrin.gif

Mike you have most of it figured out - cross near a post. I'd imagine that most of the range fence you'll encounter will be a few strands of barbed wire - go through it or under. For the cases where you'll encounter fences that are intended to tightly control calves, sheep, and such, I'll say the following:
Wooden posts usually have the wire anchored pretty well. Pick a strand of wire that is anchored to the post, take one step up and plant the foot as close to the post as you can, swing the leg over (watch the nads) and plant the foot down the fence on the other side, again as close to the post as possible.

Do not take a step on one side, plant a foot on the top wire, and then launch yourself over. I've seen that happen a bunch - a sure way to piss off a fence builder.

If you must climb a gate always do it at the hinge end - never the latch end. Think of a lever working on those hinges - the closer to the hinges that you stand the shorter the lever - stand at the opposite end and you have a nice long lever trying to uproot the hinges.

Fence building is hard work (materials are expensive, too) and climbing over them can break them down in a hurry. What appears as a minor sag in the wire to you and I may well appear as the one weak spot to a penned animal and will be the focal point of one that wants to explore a bit.

As you noted, safe gun handling comes in to play as well. You've got that down well, I was simply addressing the fence itsself.

[This message has been edited by JoeF (edited 08-28-2001).]

Of course farmers and ranchers want to meet you before they give you permission.
They want to know what you and your vehicle look like, so they recognize you when they see you cavorting on their land. And they might be curious about your hunting equipment. One of those, "Wutchu got under the hood?" sorta things. i've heard advice, though, to not approach a farmer asking permission the first time dressed in full camo.
Think of it this way: Would you hire a house-cleaning crew over the phone and tell them, "The front door'll be open, go ahead."

Speaking of fences... i bet you'd win points if you offer to report any fence problems you find or better yet, are willing to haul some strand in the bed of your truck and mend small breaks on the spot.

Dawgkilla,

Good luck with your project. Leonard's advice regarding dropping the crossbow reference is VERY good. Don't take it lightly. All you are doing is tying your hands behind your back. Once you have access take your bow all you want.

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

Encore makes a very good point; don't show up with your camo and rifle in hand. I have experience with this. I have duck, deer and turkey hunters always showing up on the front porch with their blaze orange or camo wanting to either hunt or just jump duck off ponds. My answer is always "No, but thanks asking". Don't get me wrong I do appreciate them asking first. The ones that don't...well that's another thread. Take the time BEFORE season to meet and have cup of coffee with the landowner. That way they have time to sniff you out.
As for crossing fence, more than likely the landowner will tell how he/she feels about that. If not, always try to crawl under the bottom wire. Find the low spot and go under there. Crawling through the fence can loosen the fence(old fences). Using a wood post or t-post to crawl up can break old wires and loosen some. If you do break or you find fence in bad shape tell the owner andhe/she will think a lot of you for it. Just my .02 cents.

Best of luck,

Steve

P.S.- Please don't trespass, have respect for the one that pays the taxes or makes their living off that land. This comment is NOT pointed at anyone directly, it is just an afterthought.
biggrin.gif

------------------
pmcatsig.GIF

Safety 1st. Live with it.

Dawgkilla,
I don't want to throw a monkeywrench in your plans, but if you're really planning on putting those letters in rural mailboxes you may have a problem. The only person that's supposed to put anything in a mailbox is a USPS carrier, and those letters are supposed to be stamped and postmarked. Maybe your area is different, but our carriers get pretty angry, and actually so do the landowners, when they find "illegal" solicitations in their boxes. Maybe not the best start for your relationship with them. I vote for the personal approach.

dawgkilla, now that you got there permission??, don't forget these people, I make trips out to there place, when I can, not just to hunt, last week,I took them all a sack of green chile, and fish fillets, sometimes I show up with there, type of bottle?, and they don't forget, last year I got a call,that he had a cow elk lic., that wasn't sold, we split the meat. so go visit, not just when you hunt.

Back