17 Fireball Fox load

Brian Stewart

I finally found a Rem Model 7 Predator in a 17 fireball that was a little hard to find and I can't wait to try it out. I was wondering if anyone has any fox loads they are using to keep from tearing them up. Also have you shot any coyotes with that load. I really need a load that will serve as both if possible but I realize they are at 2 different ends of the spectrum of mass and size.
I was thinking about the 30gr Bergers but didn't know how much pelt damage I would get on a fox. On a coyote the would work great I am sure of but I am unsure on a fox especially under 60 yards.

25 berger MATCH hp, with either H322, N133 or 8208. About 18 grains powder was max for all 3 in my rifle, but start LOW and work up in 0.1 gr increments. The 8208 spiked quickly. I get about 3650 fps with all 3 powders and half moa accuracy.

keep it off the big bones of a fox and you'll be good. It'll work on yotes fine too, with a shot to the vitals.

for shots under 100 yds, I would recommend 20-25 gr bullets. I also have the M7 Predator and its a great shooter. I used to laod 30 and 32 gr bullets but they would absolutely tear up foxes and coons called inside 20-50 yds. I tried solids with great results as well. Blackhole makes some 15, 16 and 17 gr bullets you will be impressed with.

what loads are you shooting out of the M7 Predator and what kind of accuracy are you getting. I just want to make sure I anchor a coyote too if need be.

Back