Does anyone like Math?

Tim Behle

I spent the morning measuring out some distances to do some shooting. I've a dirt mound SW of my house, that would be a perfect backstop for some long distance shooting, but I don't know how far away it is. I've a measuring wheel, that I use for most things, but there are far to many patches of knee high weeds between here and there to even try to push the wheel through.

So I took a zig zag measurement of it this morning. I know there is some sort of math formula that can tell me the exact distance, but never enjoyed math well enough to memorize it.

From my shooting bench, I went West 700 feet, then turned South for 2,200 feet, then went to the West again for 370 feet.

How far is it from my shooting bench, to the dirt mound?

TIA,

Tim

Hi Tim!
I love math. The distance to your dirt mound is 2446 feet. That should make some good long range practice.
Doug

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Thank You!!

Now if I am understanding my Ballistics program right, I need to move my cross hairs 64.5 clicks up, and if the wind dies, I should at least hit the paper
smile.gif
Or at least the gun and bullet combo should be able to, I just need to be able to do my part
smile.gif

Thank you!

Tim

Tim -

If you have a compass, and can use your measuring wheel to measure a set distance exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the dirt mound from your intended shooting spot, I can dig out the formula to determine the exact distance to that mound in feet or yards. Takes a scientific calculator capable of SIN/COS/TAN though. I used to use my formula before I bought a laser rangefinder, and it can be very accurate. The farther you go in a straight line when you are measuring out 90 degrees to the shooting lane, the more accurate it will be. At least 100 yards is pretty accurate though - within a foot or two.

Larry

As Tim has measured it, all you have to do is find the hypotenuse of a right triangle. It don't get much simpler than that. Doug's culculation rounded it off to the closest foot, which is certainly good enough.

Tim - Some givens are needed here. When you went south you went directly south, same as west. Jumped up on the old CAD machine and drew it out and Doug is correct. Your shooting distance is 2446.41' rounded of course to 2446'. Gosh Tim, when you refer to long range shooting you aren't kidding.

Michael

Back